Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Is it fair to say the Freelander saved land rover?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mudstuck

United Kingdom 
Is it fair to say the Freelander saved land rover?

Currently arguing with a bloke who says a Freelander is not a land rover as no chassis/low range box,I have pointed out to him than in certain conditions a Freelander can embarrass disco\defender and I have had both

Post #319777 19th Mar 2017 8:39 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Yes...The small off road market was hitting off and in 1997 LR launched the FL1 it was a super hit globally and won best compact 4x4 awards. Similarly the D1 did the same when it was launched as the RR had moved more and more up market and again there was a gap for a large 7 seater off roader which the D1 catered for.

Both of these vehicles kept LR ticking over when times were tough. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Last edited by LR NUT on 19th Mar 2017 8:45 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #319778 19th Mar 2017 8:41 pm
taztastic

England 

Never argue with an idiot, they will always beat you with experience Thumbs Up

Post #319779 19th Mar 2017 8:42 pm
Mudstuck

United Kingdom 

Thanks chaps agree with both posts lol,and if he had seen me at 4x4 xtreme being held up in a mud hole by a disco on m\t,s when mine has a\t,s on lol

Post #319780 19th Mar 2017 8:44 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

A bog standard Freelander 1 on decent AT tyres will surprise a lot of people Thumbs Up

Post #319784 19th Mar 2017 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mudstuck

United Kingdom 

This was my camping pitch and said mudhole is other side of my tent ,it was the bottom of the field and only way on/off the field during the event so had to go that way to get on stage to Marshall

Click image to enlarge

Post #319786 19th Mar 2017 10:28 pm
Trav

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Rimini Red

Very common car to see driving about up my way. Probablely more common than the range rovers now the oil price has crashed and the finance junkies have departed. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #319787 19th Mar 2017 10:51 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I know a lot of people who have been affected by the oil crisis and a lot of businesses non oil related have also had a knock on effect and been affected. Sadly it's claimed 3 peoples lives that I knew. It's certainly nothing to mock! MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #319788 19th Mar 2017 10:55 pm
Trav

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Rimini Red

I have been effected by it and am going on about the ones that get ticked up and hand them back when the lays offs come around. Can't see what that has to do with taking life's. Confused Confused Confused

Post #319792 19th Mar 2017 11:48 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I'd say that the Disco was responsible for saving Land Rover, while the FL2 was responsible for saving Halewood and then helping LR become a successful volume manufacturer.

As for a "real" LR, it's a meaningless title. "Traditional" would be more helpful.

Post #319799 20th Mar 2017 6:38 am
BUNJI81

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

After everything they achieved in rescuing the company and brand image. Its just a shame about the design direction LR have taken now, there's just no distinction between the LR and RR brand types now, they all look the same, and all geared toward the super luxury market.

Post #319808 20th Mar 2017 10:03 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I guess from a marketing point of view that there are not enough "proper" LR users to keep them in business ie farmers and people who actually need a 4WD for work so they have to go for the Chelsea tractor market.
It's a bit like the Labour Party's problem where they haven't realised yet that there aren't enough "working class" people to get elected any more. Tony Blair understood this. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #319812 20th Mar 2017 10:30 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

BUNJI81 wrote:
After everything they achieved in rescuing the company and brand image. Its just a shame about the design direction LR have taken now, there's just no distinction between the LR and RR brand types now, they all look the same, and all geared toward the super luxury market.

At my local LR dealership the other day and one of the (shirt and tie) staff members was wondering around the parking area and forecourt with a set of keys in hand. I joked about needle in a haystack trying to find a black RR in a sea of black RR.... his reply was '' made worse by the fact they all look the same now ''...............

read into that what you will Laughing

as for the FL1 saving Land Rover, it certainly was a major help in keeping them afloat during difficult times. What with ownership changes (after the collapse of Rover) and the subsequent BMW, Ford, Tata buy outs etc the FL1 was a new direction for the brand name that appealed to Joe Bloggs in suburbia who bought it in droves. Personally I have no doubt that without the FL1 the Land Rover name would be all but non existant as a current new vehicle brand name.

Post #319827 20th Mar 2017 12:38 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I think the Freely 2 saved not only LR but also Jaguar. The X Type was a mere footnote in comparison. The poor reputation of Defenders and Discos for build quality and reliability was justified to a considerable extent. The Halewood production line turning out well built and thoroughly engineered Freely2s in volume showed the way to the other lines. There is considerable risk in the current strategic direction of abandonment of any semblance of the rugged utility ethos of the LR brand but there was certainly no future in turning out cranky old designs using cottage industry production process.

Post #319828 20th Mar 2017 12:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbrap

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

RogB wrote:

At my local LR dealership the other day and one of the (shirt and tie) staff members was wondering around the parking area and forecourt with a set of keys in hand. I joked about needle in a haystack trying to find a black RR in a sea of black RR.... his reply was '' made worse by the fact they all look the same now ''...............

read into that what you will Laughing

Now I may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but would you not just press the button on the keyfob and look for which car goes beep and flashes its lights? Or do keyless entry car fobs have no buttons at all? FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #319835 20th Mar 2017 1:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>