Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Links to winter tyres.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Stud.

I am running without studded tyres, but it looks like some think I needed it in my summer tyre.
(Has not lost pressure.)

LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #30619 8th Nov 2008 4:08 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Another GOOD reason to use proper winter tyres Whistle Whistle

http://www.sol.no/klipps/video/glatta_0 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32132 28th Nov 2008 2:31 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Americans. When will they ever learn. What on earth kind kind of tyres were they having on those cars?
I have never seen anything like it. Where was this? San Fransisco? 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #32141 28th Nov 2008 4:06 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shocked that first car looked like it was doing on purpose Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #32152 28th Nov 2008 6:46 pm
bjartin

More slippery roads:

LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Post #32155 28th Nov 2008 7:00 pm
bjartin

I forgot to say that winter tires are necessary for snow covered roads, and studded tire is an advantage if there is ice. LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Post #32160 28th Nov 2008 7:22 pm
VIKING

bjartin wrote:
More slippery roads:

Yepp. There seem to be a huge market for winter tyres in the US. Wink

One more thing: I noticed the wheels on all cars were blocked. Now where is that build up of snow that has been frequently been discussed on this forum earlier? Had they had ABS, most of these cars would have been more able to steer away from the trouble they are getting themselves into.
-But winter tyres would also have been useful, -no doubt. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #32188 29th Nov 2008 12:50 am
AndyC

..........and if they had all owned a Land Rover there would not have been any driving problems at all Whistle Laughing

(read: advertisment for LR) Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32192 29th Nov 2008 11:20 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Andy, with all due respect what you say towards required 2 sets of tyres for summer and winter season, I do have indeed different information. Goodyear have released their brand new all season tyre "Vector 4 S".
This all season tyre has been tested by nearly all German Car Magazines with excellent results. Even the direct comparison against the best of winter tyres such as Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, Michelin Latitude Alpin or Goodyear Ultra Grip UG7, the new Vector 4S has shown excellent resulte in winter. Comparison with the best summer tyres has also shown similar results. So in summary, the tyre technology has made a great step foreward, and a good all season tyre is an alternative to winter and summer tyres.

YF

Post #32710 9th Dec 2008 9:40 am
nza

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Baltic Blue

THough I haven't read any of the reviews for the tires you mentioned...
This is my take on winter tires all year use...
The mountain-snowflake symbol is the dividing line between winter tires and other tires. For example, Nokian WR is a winter tire suitable for year round use because it has lower rolling resistance and better wear in summer than typical winter tires. However, not all winter tires are equal, and if you look at the Nokian website, you will see that they have a range of winter tires reflecting different compromises for different driving needs. The Nokian Hakkapeliittas are their "true" snow tires , and they are better in deep snow than the WR. The WR is aimed more at German drivers (high speed, less snow, more wet), whereas the Hakkas are aimed at Scandinavian drivers (snow covered roads). RSI is somewhere in between. Pick the tire that suits your needs. Nokian makes some of the best snow tires on the market. Someone in Toronto or Vancouver who mainly commutes in the city and doesn't want to swap tires might really like the WRs. In general though, attributes of good winter tires and good summer tires are opposites (eg winter tires should be narrow, summer tires should be wide), so something will be compromised in any year round tire vs. performance season specific tires. Using a friction tire (like WR) year round will reduce its ice grip each winter. Some asked about using winter tires in summer, but in addition to the tread wearing quickly, winter tires have worse rolling resistance than summer tires, so they are noisier and use a little more fuel. Summer tires are better than winter or all-season tires in summer! Armchair Commando

Post #33560 23rd Dec 2008 7:48 pm
AndyC

yamaha-fan wrote:
Andy, with all due respect what you say towards required 2 sets of tyres for summer and winter season, I do have indeed different information. Goodyear have released their brand new all season tyre "Vector 4 S".
This all season tyre has been tested by nearly all German Car Magazines with excellent results. Even the direct comparison against the best of winter tyres such as Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, Michelin Latitude Alpin or Goodyear Ultra Grip UG7, the new Vector 4S has shown excellent resulte in winter. Comparison with the best summer tyres has also shown similar results. So in summary, the tyre technology has made a great step foreward, and a good all season tyre is an alternative to winter and summer tyres.

YF

YF - Maybe what you are saying may apply in Europe but no way in Scandinavia. If for example we were to fit a new set of Vector 4S (for example) during late autumn and used them during the following winter and summer, by the following winter they would be next to useless! Summer driving would destroy the qualities needed for safe winter driving.
Here everybody (well almost everybody) has 2 sets of tyres (one winter one summer). All season tyres are no longer recommend by the motoring press or anybody else for that matter, but some die hards do still use all year tyres for economical reasons. In addition, winter tyres are not normally used more that 2 or 3 winters before they are replaced as for most people safety comes before economy. Anybody who has experianced motoring in Scandinavia in winter, particully innland Norway and Finland, will understand what I am saying. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #33603 25th Dec 2008 4:23 pm
VIKING

Behind you Andy! Fully supporting what you say! Thumbs Up 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #33615 26th Dec 2008 2:05 am
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I think there's lots of great tyre information here.
Can I ask what you guys use/recommend for wheels/sizes. Do you still use a set of alloys or can you get steel wheels that fit? Do you use a smaller rim diameter, therefore larger tyre wall size? Is a narrower wheel/tyre tread an advantage? Does wheel/spoke design matter in snow?
Having had a near miss on snow covered ice, I'm looking to get a good winter set and would like to get the right choice first time.

Post #36439 6th Feb 2009 11:40 am
AndyC

AndyT wrote:
I think there's lots of great tyre information here.
Can I ask what you guys use/recommend for wheels/sizes. Do you still use a set of alloys or can you get steel wheels that fit? Do you use a smaller rim diameter, therefore larger tyre wall size? Is a narrower wheel/tyre tread an advantage? Does wheel/spoke design matter in snow?
Having had a near miss on snow covered ice, I'm looking to get a good winter set and would like to get the right choice first time.

AndyT: This has been widely commented on in another thread, but yes, both Viking and I use 16" standard LR FR2 alloy wheels with winter tyres. Smaller wheels with narrower tyres (than summer wheels) are recommended in Scandinavia for winter (deep snow) driving, which is said to be an advantage over wider tyres. Don’t think the spoke design matters in snow, but it is easier to keep wider/less spokes clean of all the winter salt and road film that can clog then up. Fancier wheel design with lots of small corners can be a pain trying to keep clean in minus temperatures. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #36453 6th Feb 2009 12:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

there is a member selling some GS alloys in the for sales section Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36459 6th Feb 2009 1:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>