Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2.2 td4 low fuel pressure problem.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Pedrodog

Ireland 
2.2 td4 low fuel pressure problem.

Hi all. Pedro here. I would like to pick the brains of some freelander enthusiasts. I'm not a freelander owner but I have one in for repairs. I am stuck and I was advised to seek information on your forum. The vehicle in question is a 2007 freelander 2.2 td4. It broke down and got recovered to my garage. The only fault on the system was low fuel pressure, I can't remember the code. There was no fuel coming from the tank and no sound but power on the main cables when cranking. We replaced the pump with a new one and now have sound but no fuel. I have put my hand on the pump and I can feel it buzz and pulse but no fuel coming from the outlet. I pumped fuel to the filter manually and filled the lines but still no fuel. There is one of the pipes in the tank that has to be connected when fitting but it branches off with the breather pipe. I'm afraid this could have become disconnected during fitting but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Post #303724 2nd Aug 2016 8:29 pm
alex_pescaru

The electrical pump in the tank is only for moving fuel from one part of the "saddle" to the other. It's not for lifting fuel to the engine.
For that, on the same body with the high pressure fuel pump, there is a "lift" pump that draw/suck the fuel from the tank.

You need to bleed the fuel system in order for the fuel to get to the high pressure fuel pump.
The bleeding procedure is found here on the forum. Here: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...eeding.pdf

Because you said it broke down, I hope that it's not the worst case scenario, when the exhaust camshaft - that drives the high pressure and lift pump - is snapping at the connection with the pumps. This is found on early manufacture years and easily checked by dismantling the high pressure pump - only 3 bolts.

Post #303726 2nd Aug 2016 8:44 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

This is copied from Landzone: A dropbox account seems to make it work on my computer but still loading.

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/fre...al.247438/

Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #303728 2nd Aug 2016 9:05 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Thanks for the quick response lads. I did use a vacuum pump on both sides of the filter but the was still no increase of flow seen through the clear pipe.
I will remove the cam driven pump in the morning. Is it the key way at the end of the cam that you are referring to?
I went for the in tank pump first as there was no fuel delivery and clearly no sound as I listened with a stethoscope. It's a tricky setup, I took the old pump apart tonight to see how the pot works. I'm still confused as to where the two pipes go? The breather pipe and the one from the three way fitting (thinner pipes).. thanks again.

Post #303740 2nd Aug 2016 10:43 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Thanks again for the advice. You were right. A quick check of the exhaust cam was all that was needed. It had broken in pieces at the end. Next thing now is to find the missing parts of the jigsaw and replace the cam.
Thanks again.

Post #303802 3rd Aug 2016 6:10 pm
alex_pescaru

Could you please post, for the statistics, the last 6 digits of the VIN and the mileage of the car?
On this topic, or here: www.freel2.com/forum/topic10702.html
Many thanks!

Post #303815 3rd Aug 2016 8:34 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

I'll check it in the morning and let you know.

Post #303820 3rd Aug 2016 10:33 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

It's a 2007 with 228,000 kilometres and last six digits are 005700. I'll post pictures of the damage later and post in the correct place.

Post #303847 4th Aug 2016 11:19 am
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Still having a problem with this. We replaced the cam shaft and timing belt kit. We hand primed it and now have plenty of fuel pressure. No faults. Timing is correct as we used the correct locking tools. The injectors just won't open.
Any one any ideas?

Post #304792 18th Aug 2016 4:18 pm
alex_pescaru

Check the camshaft and crankshaft sensors.
The camshaft one needs to be at a certain distance of the sprocket and the crankshaft one to be proper fitted in front of the magnet ring.

Post #304796 18th Aug 2016 4:53 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Cheers. Im pretty sure the crank is ok as we're getting an rpm reading and I was very careful with the reluctor ring. Any idea what the distance is on the cam sensor?

Post #304797 18th Aug 2016 5:00 pm
alex_pescaru

On the link posted by Yorky Bob above - the workshop manual - are all the information needed.

Post #304807 18th Aug 2016 6:52 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 
help needed with some fault codes

Hi all. I am having trouble with some permanent fault codes. It's a 2.2 2007 freelander 2. It all started with a broken exhaust cam and loss of fuel pressure. After help from the forum we solved that. Now it won't start and the following codes won't clear.
P0340 cam sensor
P0193 fuel pressure high input.
P0642 sensor reference voltage A circuit low.
And on the BCU
B10A2 crash input.
Im not too concerned about the cam and fuel pressure faults as they come and go.
There were some lost communication codes too that cleared but the p0642 code troubles me as it could be ecu related. I have 5v at all the sensors so there must be a brake in another wire maybe.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Post #304920 20th Aug 2016 5:43 pm
alex_pescaru

I see it like this...
If you crank it with the car's battery, without a power supply helper, then the battery voltage during cranking could be quite low on some cases in order to trigger P0642.
The P0340 and P0193 appear from time to time, because some time must pass with the engine ON (cranking or running) in order for the ECU to perform the tests and realize the problems.
I still remain to my original opinion - from the other thread - that could be a problem with the cam sensor. Not necessarily itself, but the signal read by it.
On the cranking phase, the fuel pressure sensor is ignored because the pressure is already low due to low RPM.
The critical sensors on startup are CKP and CMP. The CMP is only used on startup/cranking in order to synchronize the position of cylinder 1.
Without a proper CMP signal the engine will never start. After start, the CMP signal is ignored.
A scope will help a lot in this situation to see the voltage(s) and the signals evolution during time.

Do you have the means to measure the fuel pressure and RPM during cranking?
On some ECU implementations, the car will not start if the pressure and RPM are below some trigger values...

LE: As it's about the same problem, do you mind to merge it with the other thread in order to have some fluency on the problem and its resolve?

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 20th Aug 2016 8:34 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #304926 20th Aug 2016 7:04 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Thanks. I have a 25amp charger connected but I will try a fresh battery.
I tried the 7.5mm drill bit on the cam sensor and I checked for a pulse signal with a meter. I wonder could the new cam shaft be a fraction longer or shorter causing a gap issue with the sensor.
On live data while cranking the fuel pressure is at zero and the rpm gets up to 230rpm so have I got a dodgy fuel pressure sensor/wiring and cam sensor issue or has the P0642 got something to do with both of them?

Post #304927 20th Aug 2016 7:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>