« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wing Mirror Glass Motor Damage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Fishbowl

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Aintree Green
Wing Mirror Glass Motor Damage

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the glass motor for the wing mirrors?

I had an altercation with some @£*$(@ in a Transit flatbed this morning which resulted in a smashed O/S mirror glass and scuffed/snapped upper mirror cap Sad

Bought new glass from the local parts place, but when I was fitting it I noticed that there was some slight damage to the internal motor:

The motor looks like this:

The lugs at the highlighted locations have both broken. I have no idea what the outer one actually does, but the inner one technically helps the central diamond piece pivot in place. As it had broken, the bottom half of the diamond part had popped out of it's lower clip, and was affecting mirror movement.

I managed to get it back in, so it looks like the picture again, and the mirror has gone back to having full degrees of movement, but i'm wondering whether i'm going to end up back in the situation again where I can't fully move the mirror, or worse, the plastic parts fall apart and the mirror falls out.

Does anyone know if it's difficult to replace this part? I noticed that there is a central torx screw, but I couldn't see any other mounting points...The part seems to be about £25-30 on that auction site. As it's currently moving fine i'm not immediately worried, but if it pops out again I don't want to go down a rabbit hole of replacing various bits, because eventually i'm going to out-spend what it'd cost to buy an entire new mirror unit...

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

Post #304324 11th Aug 2016 2:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1