Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > EU Referendum
How will you vote on membership of the EU?
Stay in
32%
 32%  [41]
Leave
64%
 64%  [83]
I'm not voting
0%
 0%  [1]
I'd rather not say
0%
 0%  [0]
I really do not care either way
2%
 2%  [3]
Total Votes: 128

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 16 <123 ... 13 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I do agree with you heyho on all of your points apart from the voting. I am still pleased I voted out, I am confident all will be well in the long run. What we are seeing at the moment is largely centred on the Westminster and London "bubbles" plus the media hype. Hopefully our politicos will take notice and change for the better (one can but hope!). The other issue is north of the border with wee Jimmy Crankie and her party stirring it up. Who the fxxx does she think she is?

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #301975 5th Jul 2016 9:27 am
Still Lost in France

France 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

pab wrote:
And in the mean time EU citizens in the UK need not worry - they are as welcome as they have ever been and I would hope the same remains true of UK citizens in Europe.

You hope, some of us pray.

I still wonder why 52% of the UK population jumped off a cliff without a parachute hoping that someone would give you one half way down.

Post #301979 5th Jul 2016 9:43 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

52% voted out because the corrupt gravy train EU refused to change its ways. We never did want a political union, just a trading bloc. I cannot see existing expats, either here or in the EU being told to go. You will be able to remain "lost in France" I am sure.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #301984 5th Jul 2016 10:27 am
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Still Lost in France wrote:
pab wrote:
And in the mean time EU citizens in the UK need not worry - they are as welcome as they have ever been and I would hope the same remains true of UK citizens in Europe.

You hope, some of us pray.

I still wonder why 52% of the UK population jumped off a cliff without a parachute hoping that someone would give you one half way down.

I think Pab puts it most eloquently:

Europe is a continent comprising many countries. The UK is, and always will be, part of Europe.

The EU is a corrupt, undemocratic, unelected, unaccountable political organisation many of whose actions are unfavourable not only to the UK but also to the rest of the member countries.

Post #301987 5th Jul 2016 11:00 am
Still Lost in France

dunkley201 wrote:
52% voted out because the corrupt gravy train EU refused to change its ways. We never did want a political union, just a trading bloc.

You mean it's as corrupt as the HoC (remember expenses), as undemocratic as the HoL ?

A political union would never have happened, the French, amongst others, would have made sure of that.

Quote:
I cannot see existing expats, either here or in the EU being told to go. You will be able to remain "lost in France" I am sure.
Bob

I'm glad you're sure I can stay in France with a 15% cut in income, the likelihood of having to pay 4,000€ a year in health insurance and a house that's worth next to nothing but I still don't understand how you can be sure, the leave campaign made no promises or had no idea what would happen if they were successful.

Post #301989 5th Jul 2016 11:38 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Thank you heyho!

I am, and always have been, very much pro-Europe. For many years I worked on and managed collaborative European projects and spent much of my time travelling around Western Europe visiting project partners. I regard myself as European as much as British.

But I have become increasingly disillusioned with the political body which is the EU. Even back when I was working on the European projects the rot was setting in, and we felt that through political influences over the projects we were working on - influences which changed as the political climate in Brussels changed. Since then things have got much worse, and I fully understand why the majority voted out.

But it needs to be understood that the vote was to leave the EU, not to cut ties with Europe. To listen to some you'd think we'd upped anchor and sailed away leaving a declaration of war on the table! Nothing could be further from the truth, and I still hope to see the day when the UK is back in its rightful place at the heart of a reformed EU. But there's an awful lot of reforming to be done first.

SLiF, I don't think the situation will be anywhere near as bad as you suggest, but I can understand that you're worried about your situation.

Post #301990 5th Jul 2016 11:46 am
Still Lost in France

Quote:
But it needs to be understood that the vote was to leave the EU, not to cut ties with Europe.

How do you know that when there no proposals as to what would be done in the event of a leave majority were made?

Quote:
I still hope to see the day when the UK is back in its rightful place at the heart of a reformed EU. But there's an awful lot of reforming to be done first.

Would the UK not be better placed to do that from within the EU?

Quote:
SLiF, I don't think the situation will be anywhere near as bad as you suggest,

You have no idea how much better that makes me feel, care to give any proof to back it up?

I've already suffered the 15% drop in income and until things are fully resolved my house is unsaleable, it's almost certain that the French will impose the same health cover requirements on British ex-pats as they impose on other non-EU residents. Coupled with the fact that the UK will freeze our pensions as we are no longer in the UK, the situation is actually worse.

Although now you do have M£350 a week to pay for a couple of million ex-pats turning up destitute in a couple of years, so that's alright then.

Post #301992 5th Jul 2016 12:10 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
Would the UK not be better placed to do that from within the EU?

Nothing less than a major upheaval like the UK vote would be enough to trigger reform any time soon, and it remains to be seen if even that will be enough. Rocks and hard places, unfortunately.

Quote:
You have no idea how much better that makes me feel, care to give any proof to back it up?

Proof? Of course not - it was an opinion as was obvious from the context. But at least I've made you feel so much better Rolling Eyes

Post #301994 5th Jul 2016 12:31 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Love all these ex pats .. Me me me . I've no idea would you had the vote on the referendum . It should have been for uk residents only. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #301996 5th Jul 2016 12:39 pm
Still Lost in France

Quote:
Love all these ex pats .. Me me me .

Not like the selflessness of the UK voters, as a businessman, I would have voted to remain even if I were still in the UK.

Quote:
I've no idea would you had the vote on the referendum . It should have been for uk residents only

Why not, I'm a UK tax payer (more than a lot of the leave voters) and it will effect me and my children, who have worked in the EU and may wish to again at some time in the future.

I'm also a lot more informed about the EU than most, for a start I never believed the extra £M350 a week to the NHS Smile

Last edited by Still Lost in France on 5th Jul 2016 1:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #301997 5th Jul 2016 12:47 pm
Purplemadboy

Why did you leave the uk if you love it so much ? That's right , to get a better quality of life , I don't blame you . The tide has turned .
Britain as a whole will be better out of the EU , after all we didn't join the EU , we joined the common market to around trade restrictions , now that there is no such thing as that the common market is defunked . We got sucked in to the EU as a result.
I was on holiday in Canada before the referendum and everyone thought it would be crazy for the uk to leave , when I said how would you Canadians feel if Mexico controlled you who could trade with and who made most of the laws , they said Censored that .
Why don't you go the whole hog and immigrate ? Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #301998 5th Jul 2016 1:20 pm
Still Lost in France

Quote:
Britain as a whole will be better out of the EU

How do you know that ?

Quote:
when I said how would you Canadians feel if Mexico controlled you who could trade with

How long has it taken Canada to come to a trade agreement with the EU? now they've got to do it all over again with the UK.

Quote:
and who made most of the laws

If 10 to 15% counts as most, I would agree.

"According to the House of Commons Library document, from 1980 to 2009, 186 out of 1302 UK Acts (14.3 per cent) "incorporated a degree of EU influence". If we exclude those Acts which only included "passing reference" to the EU, this proportion reduces to 10.1 per cent."

Post #302000 5th Jul 2016 1:46 pm
Purplemadboy

You claim to be a "businessman" , leaving you lets the uk trade with 80% of the world freely , trade deals will be made by the EU (do you think the Germans & French are going to stop selling/buying from the uk?) so that will make the uk trade with 100% of the world if business want , as a businessman you must agree that's a good thing, why is that not good for business and uk .
Setting up a trade deal with Canada will be no problem once a new PM is in place.
Another remain fib , as proven on to the other night , it's 59% of uk laws are made by the EU . inFo from House of Commons library with the most upto date facts. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #302002 5th Jul 2016 2:11 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

SLiF- how come you pay UK tax if you live and work in France. Surely you would qualify for non uk residence Status?

Anyway - the vote has been made and Brexit had a majority so instead of sniping we should all come together and ensure that the future is rosy for all UK citizens. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #302003 5th Jul 2016 2:27 pm
Still Lost in France

Quote:
it's 59% of uk laws are made by the EU . inFo from House of Commons library with the most upto date facts.

I can't find that figure but if you include regulations that, although they apply to the UK, will have no direct application in the UK, such as those regulations covering olive and tobacco growing, then possibly, yes.

Quote:
Setting up a trade deal with Canada will be no problem once a new PM is in place.

Sorry, I didn't realise that you were a clairvoyance. By the way, who do you think will negotiate these trade deals, my guess is faceless, unelected bureaucrats.

Quote:
You claim to be a "businessman" ,

Sorry, should have said, 'If I were still a businessman in the UK'

Quote:
so that will make the uk trade with 100% of the world if business want ,

I could have traded with 100% of the world, with absolutely no problems, forms, tax or VAT issues with the most important (to me) 27 of them. Trading with the rest had various levels of difficulty.

Do you really think that we will have trade agreements in place with the 'world' 2 years after Article 50 is invoked?

Post #302004 5th Jul 2016 2:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 16 <123 ... 13 141516>