Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Another Retro Fit Sat Nav - Garmin 760T
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Makes mine effort look naff!! See pics in my gallery.

How do you get it to come on automatically? '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #27181 12th Sep 2008 4:48 pm
Walter_F

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Whistler White

I installed my (US spec) 760 a little differently. Here's what mine looks like.

I dismantled the Nuvi (goodbye warranty!) and sandwiched a piece of stereo trim plastic between the front bezel and the main unit using some slightly longer screws. I placed a little filler of cardboard behind the touch screen so it's still firm when you press on it. The whole plastic piece with Nuvi attached was then sandwiched in between the dash trim and the cubby box using the original cubby mounting screws. Some small holes were made in the bottom of the cubby to accommodate the cables, but the rubber mat will easily cover them if I ever remove the GPS.

I searched far and wide and finally found an amplified external CB speaker which I dismantled and installed in the speaker opening on the top of the dash. The speaker handles all the navigation voice prompting as well as phone calls received through the Nuvi's bluetooth receiver. The Nuvi's internal microphone is still placed well enough to "hear" me and the speaker is loud enough to be heard above the stereo (most of the time!) If a call comes in, I turn down the stereo manually.

Both the Garmin and the speaker pull power tapped off the front accessory port on the console so they go on and off with the ignition. I left a USB cable attached and coiled up under the top cover so when it's time to upgrade maps and software, I can just plug right in with a laptop. I attached an external antenna to the Nuvi to help a bit with reception downtown or out under the trees, but I must say it worked nearly as well using its own internal antenna - even in the hole in the dash.

I tried disconnecting the Nuvi's internal battery to get rid of the slightly annoying "Powering off in 30 seconds" screen that comes up whenever the ignition is switched off and it did go off instantly as I expected. Unfortunately, the Nuvi then looses all information regarding your last known position and the positions of the satellites so it was taking close to ten minutes to reacquire a signal. I decided to reconnect the battery.

I must say I was inspired to do this by some of the other installations I read about here on the forum. Thanks to you all!

Last edited by Walter_F on 16th Apr 2009 9:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #27233 13th Sep 2008 4:30 am
Fishy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hey Walter_F

Nice job.

Would you mind sending me the LR logo that you have there?

Cheers mate 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #27538 17th Sep 2008 6:01 am
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Nice install...but Sony all the way for me at £76! Wink

Post #27568 17th Sep 2008 9:15 am
Fishy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

podcast what size screen is that?

how do you rate the sony? without factoring in price? 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #27572 17th Sep 2008 10:18 am
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

4.8" screen.

I tried the Sony out for the first time this weekend to a place I hadn't driven to before & it managed really well, even on small/complex lanes. I even got 41.3mpg on the 100mile round-trip. The signal takes a while to pick-up sometimes but overall pretty impressive. I still prefer the TomTom UI & if I was a heavy sat nav user I'd probably go for a better rated system, but it fits perfectly & I'll probably only use if once a month if that?

Thread hi-jack over... Whistle

Post #27586 17th Sep 2008 12:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12