« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto-Transmission Vibration at about 2000rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

alex_pescaru wrote:
If happens only on the move, then TCC problems - slipping...
Therefore, when on the move, if the vibration stops when you suddenly lift the foot of the gas pedal, then it's the TC clutch.

To verify if it's gearbox or haldex: pull up the haldex fuse and if it still does, it's the gearbox.

Thanks Alex.

I think you are on to something with the TCC. I had previously noticed a little slippage, with the revs fluctuating sometimes when I was just driving.

Yes, it only happens on the move and yes, if you release the accelerator or even accelerate harder, the judder stops occurring.

Also of note, it doesn't occur when the car is cold (first drive of the morning) but once it warms up, it starts to happen.

Will report back once I have been to the mechanics... 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #288392 26th Jan 2016 9:58 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
ZFs own technical bulletin recommending regular oil changes

Well a technical bulletin from ZF referring to regular oil changes for their auto-boxes !!!!!!

Bit different to landrovers recommendations

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #288915 31st Jan 2016 3:09 pm
djwhyte

Yes, although bear in mind, the FL2 has an Aisin box. I regret having let the mechanic change the fluid on mine now regardless. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #289041 1st Feb 2016 12:27 pm
djwhyte

Some further observations and questions.

1) I took the fuse out for the haldex and drove a few KMs with the warning lights on. It still vibrated. Am I correct to assume that with that fuse removed, I was effectively in front wheel drive only? So there is very little chance of anything rear of the transmission causing the vibration?
2) I read that if the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is at fault, you can feather your foot on the brake pedal and it should immediately stop the vibration as it disengages the TCC. Is this the case with the FL2? I have witnessed the vibration occurring while trying this but perhaps I was being too light on the break pedal for it to trigger the switch and hence disengage the TCC.
3) At what RPM should the TCC bite and does this occur in every gear of the gearbox? I find that the vibration is occurring in pretty much all gears. Tonight I put it in command shift though and made it stay in a lower gear so that it stayed above 2000RPM and I didn't feel the vibration in the usual spots I would normally feel it on the drive to my house. Does this help to rule any mechanical parts in or out?
4) Is the TCC solenoid activated? Any easy way to test the electronics of the gearbox for good functioning?
5) I do drive like a bit of an old lady. I plugged in an OBD reader and noticed that it would change up the gearbox at about only 1700RPM, which is much lower than I realised. Perhaps I have prematurely worn something out by the way I drive.
6) The additive that the mechanic will be using this week is called 'Doctor Tranny' by lubegard. (Don't Google that on your work PC Razz ). It has fairly positive reviews and I figure it can't do much harm. http://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-19610-Trann...B0002JMLQU Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this stuff?
7) Anyone done a full automatic gearbox service? Any pointers? Big Cry

Thanks for any answers I might get to the above questions.

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #289044 1st Feb 2016 12:42 pm
djwhyte

Two tubes of Doctor Tranny Instant Judder Fix yesterday followed by >100kms driving today and pretty much no shudder.

There was a couple of times this morning when I felt a half hearted shudder once or twice but nothing compared to the vibration I was suffering the last four weeks or so.

Not too sure what snake-oil is in the additive or how long it will hold for but it is running much better for now.

Would still be keen to get answers to my previous post if anyone has any.

Thanks,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #289469 5th Feb 2016 10:41 am
djwhyte

Unfortunately, the judder came back within a couple of weeks. Not as bad but growing worse.

Mechanic suggested a gearbox rebuild was the next best fix but couldn't give me a quote. He suggested it would be over AU$4000 since the job was so labour intensive but having not done one before he didn't even know the price of a rebuild kit or anything.

Given the uncertainty, I had to let the car go, trading it in for a Ford Kuga. I am sad, I liked that car a lot. New car isn't terrible though. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #293577 14th Mar 2016 3:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12