« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Lamb ribs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Lamb ribs

I bought my dog some raw lamb ribs, they were about £2.50 and the advert said 2x lamb ribs

I received the bag and it had a rib in that look like the picture below and there was only one

The picture on the website say 2x ribs and even had a picture of two lots of ribs on top of each other

Now at that cost I wasn't one to complain, but I did query if this was correct as I have a different thought on what 2 x ribs would be.

They have been great in replying but say the 2x ribs I received should indeed look like the picture above (they sent me that picture)

Bearing in mind that these are frozen, I am expected to buy a cleaver and somehow cut the ribs in half without chopping my hand off, or reduce the risk and chop defrosted ribs in half and give dog said half and do what with the other left over, or do as I did give the dog 1x set of ribs which in some weird logic is actually 2 x lamb ribs Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #259058 1st Apr 2015 4:39 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

That looks like a half spine with 4 ribs attached. Get yer saw out man, cut them in half between ribs 2 and 3 and give Rupert a nice bit of spine with two ribs.

Last edited by Steve D on 1st Apr 2015 5:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #259065 1st Apr 2015 5:14 pm
gingerlord

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Indus Silver

Welcome to the wonderful world of frozen dog food, we dipped our toes into this but gave up after similar experiences with inconsistent descriptions/orders. Having to spend an evening hacking up a months worth of frozen meat bits was not fun.

Also every single one of our dogs ended up with the runs at various points when on the raw food diet so gave up and returned to our normal feeding.

Post #259066 1st Apr 2015 5:14 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I rarely give mine any raw food but I do give her a nice bit of lamb neck bone. Nice and soft, great for her teeth and keeps her busy for ages. You can give it to them frozen and its a bit cleaner on the carpet, lasts longer and the flies keep off it in the summer! Get it fresh from the butchers - our one gives it away as long as you are buying stuff from him.

Post #259068 1st Apr 2015 5:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

He has taken well to the pouches of raw food and veg which is steamed once sealed in the pouch

The actual raw food he is hit and miss with sometimes eats sometimes leaves

He has left it when I have added the mixer they also do but takes the odd mouth full until gone

Got him the cheaper working dog raw food with veg and he snacks at that too

Pouches are good though, no defrosting and he gobbles them down, though 8.79 for 8 is quite expensive Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #259070 1st Apr 2015 5:31 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Our dog had the ideal life, we had a butcher in the family and there was a ready supply of bones and odd scraps of raw meat. When I worked in the shop as my Saturday schoolboy job I always ensured that I bought home some even better bits of steak etc. Got told off a few times but dog was always happy to see me. Razz 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #259073 1st Apr 2015 5:39 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

We too have a good butcher Thumbs Up
Always a big bag of bones and some meat given free for our Collies, huge bovine knuckle joints which don't tend to splinter.
Keeps our Collies happy for days and keeps their teeth immaculate.

Any raw meat we're given for our dogs gets cooked to kill off bacteria and gets rid of the smell of blood. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #259151 1st Apr 2015 9:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

He is enjoying his knuckle bone as I type

Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #259153 1st Apr 2015 9:59 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

That'll do his nashers good Thumbs Up
Be carful if he ever takes bones outside and leaves them there. The slugs and snails will crawl over them and this can cause lungworm in dogs that can be fatal. Same applies to his toys.
We protect our dogs with Advocate Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #259158 1st Apr 2015 10:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have heard that also, I asked my vet and she told me my tablet covered lungworms also Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #259160 1st Apr 2015 10:32 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

gingerlord wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of frozen dog food, we dipped our toes into this but gave up after similar experiences with inconsistent descriptions/orders. Having to spend an evening hacking up a months worth of frozen meat bits was not fun.

Also every single one of our dogs ended up with the runs at various points when on the raw food diet so gave up and returned to our normal feeding.

I have read a lot about using the BARF diet and it was all posotive but it sounds like it did not work for dogs none of the arcticles was against it so I find the results interesting.

Post #259163 1st Apr 2015 10:41 pm
gingerlord

BARF is a great diet, their coats and energy levels definitely improved whilst on it. However the cost of it is quite steep unless you can source it at a great deal, storing it all if you buy in bulk is a pain and then having to remember to take frozen stuff out in advance is a pain as well. Combined with the fact it just randomly upset our dogs stomachs about once a month, it was just too tiresome to keep up with.

We've gone to a half way house which is giving us the same results which is half complete dry food (Skinners hypoallergenic, the lab we have gets a dodgy tum easily) and half complete trays of food (Forthglade, works out to be under a £1 a tray and its got recognisable lumps of meat, rice and veg in it). We get a huge dustbin bag of bones from the butcher for free which we give them to keep their teeth clean and add a bit extra calcium.

Post #259188 2nd Apr 2015 9:40 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have seen forthglade in my local shops, might have a look and see if he likes it

at the moment its natures menu he is getting on well with, gets good reviews too, Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #259189 2nd Apr 2015 9:54 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Years ago when I became a 6th former at the grammar school my mum bought me a smart briefcase to go with my smart uniform and one day she asked if I could buy some dog food on the way home.
I went into a shop and said "do you sell dog food" answer "yes we do" then a silence.............. followed by "oh you want some? what with the smart briefcase and jacket I thought you were a dog food salesman!" Smile 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #259192 2nd Apr 2015 10:06 am
gingerlord

npinks wrote:
i have seen forthglade in my local shops, might have a look and see if he likes it

at the moment its natures menu he is getting on well with, gets good reviews too,

We briefly flirted with Natures Menu (or Natures Choice, one stinks like vomit...) but ended up on Forthglade as it looked nicer, can be grain free and more importantly was cheaper. We get the 18 pack boxes off Amazon of all places, on a monthly scheduled delivery of 5 items so we get 15% off their already cheaper price.

Post #259203 2nd Apr 2015 12:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>