Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Crossing the Simpson Desert
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

That happens here too. Stories of getting up a low range track to find a Holden (Vauxhall) Commodore parked at the top...do they have Commodore's in the UK? Smile The sports version is called a Monaro.

PS Yes Vesko, that's the outfit. Smile

Post #257240 17th Mar 2015 12:33 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

No commodores but equally boring cars are available from Vauxhall in the UK. Interesting though, one of my sons spends a lot of time driving around farms and before he had a Freelander he had a Renault Megane which coped with most off road activities (although prone to damage underneath). He went on the Exeter Land Rover Experience and reckoned that the Renault would have coped with over 90% of it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #257249 17th Mar 2015 2:25 pm
Vesko

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

700 km later we are looking for the turn to the Painted Desert. We are going to miss Coober Pedy, the legendary opal mining town. Another time. These are signs pointing the way to the local stations:

Click image to enlarge

I am surprised that after seven hours of driving my girl sitting next to me is holding quite well. The dust on this stretch is unbearable, the finest particles of it finding their way into the cabin.

Click image to enlarge

We are finally on the right track, and it is open:

Click image to enlarge

The end of the day finds us at Arckaringa Station. My girl has diligently booked an air-conditioned accommodation here, which is a tiny room with space for just a double bed (shearers' accommodation). We don't care, this happens to be the most amazing evening/night of our trip. The light, the stillness, the vastness of it and then the huge stars - it is unbelievable place:

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow we will see The Painted Desert.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #257749 22nd Mar 2015 12:37 pm
Vesko

Well, this is the Painted Desert:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #257990 24th Mar 2015 10:32 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Amazing how clean the vehicle looks (at least on the sides), I guess it's because it's so dry. What was the condition of the air filter after this and did you carry extra fuel?

it's certainly a big country, I visited a couple of times on business and was surprised that out of a 23 hour flight, about 5 hours was actually over Australia. Big empty spaces and then you find yourself in a traffic jam in Sydney. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #257993 24th Mar 2015 10:42 am
Vesko

Hi dorsetfreelander, I've had this comment before (about the cleanliness of the car). It is dirty, but looks clean because of the dryness, you are right. I carried three 20l diesel Jerry cans out of fear that I might be short of fuel somewhere, but IMHO just one extra 20l can would be enough for the F2 to get back to civilization anywhere in Australia, it burns so little compare to the hungry Nissans and Toyotas.

OK, lets continue after the Painted Dessert: Some 120 km later we reach Oodnadatta, the legendary remote village on the legendary Oodnadatta Track, which is famous with its Pink Roadhouse. The joke is in the contrast - you drive thousands of kilometres in the nowhere to get to a remote place to find a restaurant/café ready to serve you a hot meal and a sophisticated coffee and is painted pink at that. The "sophisticated coffee" is rubbish, but the contrast is important.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

From Oodnadatta to the next inhabited place called William Creek we have some 200 km on the dirt road. My girl is holding well despite the fine dust finding its way into the cabin. Halfway through we encounter a cyclist straggling in the midday heat. I stop to ask him how's it goin? He tells me it is extremely hard. I tell him that hard is to be expected and ask him if he needs some help. I'm ready to load him somehow in the F2 to take him to Oodnadatta, but the man flatly refuses any assistance. He's the Man!

Click image to enlarge

I am driving 100 to 120km/h and at the same time I am thinking that I should slow down a bit as the sharp rocks might reap my fragile stock tyres.

Click image to enlarge

Just then I feel one of the shock absorbers sounding boom-boom, boom-boom and stop to investigate to find the right back tyre completely flat. I change it immediately not realising that my girl is making pictures of me This is Vesko changing a tyre:

Click image to enlarge

A bit later we stop at some ruins, where I imagine some dude tried to start a new life. Looking at the ruins and thinking about the unfortunate dude here I feel a bit sad.

Click image to enlarge

Finally we arrive at Williams Creek, but the place seems deserted. Luckily the building on the left is a shop/mechanic/tyre repair place/pub. Inside I find a few dangerously looking characters drinking beer. The bartender is equally dangerously looking woman. I ask her shyly where can I find a tyre repair person and the scary woman shouts: TYRE REPAIR ANYONE? It takes a few minutes for a young bloke to lift his head up and say: fifty bucks. Then it takes another ten minutes (another beer maybe) for the young bloke to come out and fix my tyre. Fifty bucks later we are ready to commence driving down to Marree, where we plan to spend the night.

Click image to enlarge

Apparently there are only two registered persons living in Williams Creek. The sign show you how far you stand from anywhere. We have only 2190 km to drive back home.

Click image to enlarge

Then we get to Lake Eyre, which I saw from the other side last year http://veskopetrov.com/?p=6105

Click image to enlarge

To be continued.

Post #262871 6th May 2015 11:33 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Great pics, Vesko. They confirm why central Australia is called the GAFA! Whistle 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #262891 6th May 2015 3:28 pm
subyrover

2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Vesko,

could you tell me more about the roof rack?
where did you get the flat-basket like part for the Thule?
or was that custom made?
thanks!

your truck looks great

Post #264777 25th May 2015 3:03 pm
Vesko

Hi subyrover, this is actually a Rnino-Rack (Australian company) steel mesh platform:

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/roof-...edium_rpbm.

It is very sturdy, but heavy IMO - 18 kg. These days I use a couple of construction grade timber stamps attached to the roof racks. They weigh less than a kilo and hold the extra tyre plus a 20 l diesel can pretty well.

Cheers.

Post #264852 26th May 2015 10:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123