« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > DLR's or Headlights On and MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
CJB

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
DLR's or Headlights On and MPG

Being new to the world of FL2 with a newly acquired 2011 style and allegedly more economical TD4 GS still in its original form I have been considering fitting some form of DLR's, seeing as every other Tom Dick and Harry now have them.

I looked at the new LR models official headlight facelift with inbuilt DLR, but to be honest I don't really like the design compared to other manufacturers and anyway I think the best mod seems to involve some form of bumper replacement or drilling. to keep within the official fitting dimensions which some ignore totally, and anyway potentially an expensive option compared to the cost of the lights themselves.
The easiest option seems to be replacing the fog lights, but then they hardly attract attention being so small and low set.

So, at the end of the day and to keep the FL looking as God intended, is it just best to drive with Headlights On despite the cost to MPG figures and follow the lead from some EU countries, which might eventually become law here anyway and finally prevent mindless morons driving in fog without any lights whatsoever ...

Has anyone any actual hard facts on how much 'Lights On' affects overall economy anyway ??

Post #253535 17th Feb 2015 12:01 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

The third one has its sidelights on not its DRLs. Smile

Post #253538 17th Feb 2015 12:17 pm
CJB

I still think its a strange design. The new FL3 is much much better.

Click image to enlarge

Post #253539 17th Feb 2015 12:32 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

But then again it is a completely different car.

Post #253541 17th Feb 2015 12:35 pm
CJB

and it is very nice too and an inclusive design matching others going along the bar light effect rather than squiggly lines.
So .. can anyone tell me how much MPG is affected by Normal All Lights On ?

Post #253543 17th Feb 2015 12:40 pm
Paul1966

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

What about this option, I have them on mine.

Post #253546 17th Feb 2015 12:49 pm
CJB

yes that is the most obvious and easy option and one I was considering., especially as my offside glass is badly cracked anyway. I found some on Ebay for £30 so I wonder where you got yours.

My specific quandary relates to my location at Folkestone and Dover and the convoys of overladen foreign lorries who disgorge from the ferries en mass and then race each other up the hill onto the A20. These guys come from all over Europe, especially Poland and Lithuania, are half asleep and driving within feet of each other. So if the one in front doesn't pull out in front of you, the one to the side will side swipe you, or the one behind will try and run you down !!

believe me.. if you guys are coming thru Dover on holiday.. best switch on every light you got and watch like a hawk.. especially on the first roundabout down the hill on the A20 or from the A2, cos if they get lost they will turn all the way round it if they don't see you inside their turning circle.

Still want to know the MPG hit if anyone knows of road tests, but i assume its minimal anyway.

Post #253559 17th Feb 2015 2:45 pm
DaveS

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Surely the negligible mpg versus being seen means light up in my opinion. Not sure it will be any different to having the radio or heated seats on? SD4 HSE Lux
Yeti 170 DSG L&K
Freelander 1 Td4 Overlander

Past: Freelander Metropolis, D3, D3, D2, Series 3, Series 3, Freelander 1 (still have this one bought new, the Monte Carlo blue kid)

Post #253560 17th Feb 2015 3:00 pm
Paul1966

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

CJB wrote:
yes that is the most obvious and easy option and one I was considering., especially as my offside glass is badly cracked anyway. I found some on Ebay for £30 so I wonder where you got yours.

My specific quandary relates to my location at Folkestone and Dover and the convoys of overladen foreign lorries who disgorge from the ferries en mass and then race each other up the hill onto the A20. These guys come from all over Europe, especially Poland and Lithuania, are half asleep and driving within feet of each other. So if the one in front doesn't pull out in front of you, the one to the side will side swipe you, or the one behind will try and run you down !!

believe me.. if you guys are coming thru Dover on holiday.. best switch on every light you got and watch like a hawk.. especially on the first roundabout down the hill on the A20 or from the A2, cos if they get lost they will turn all the way round it if they don't see you inside their turning circle.

Still want to know the MPG hit if anyone knows of road tests, but i assume its minimal anyway.

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/ledfog101...4768-p.asp

Post #253561 17th Feb 2015 3:13 pm
CJB

Thanks Paul.. saw those earlier but quite expensive. I will have to change the broken light anyway so will let you know what i do. Thumbs Up

Post #253562 17th Feb 2015 3:21 pm
CJB

DaveS wrote:
Surely the negligible mpg versus being seen means light up in my opinion. Not sure it will be any different to having the radio or heated seats on?

I'm tending to agree. In my situation you really want headlights ON as well as any DLR's.. which is against the rules. Maybe I'll go for new extra bright headlight bulbs and new fog lights. Will have a look at previous posts on that but already seen those who wish they hadn't !!

How difficult can life be Confused

Post #253563 17th Feb 2015 3:29 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Your dealer can activate "Scandinavian mode" which turns on the lights whenever driving. Turns you into a Volvo but might be the easiest option. It also activates your rear lights which the DRL system doesn't, for some unfathomable reason. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #253568 17th Feb 2015 5:14 pm
CJB

well that's something else I now know.. thanks for that.

I agree the DLR regs seem to have flaws as whilst I understand you shouldn't dazzle oncoming traffic at night, during daylight it would help to have them ON as well as normal headlights.

However, I think everyone should now have lights on during day to prevent those who insist on driving with no lights or just sides in rain or fog. As to rear fog lights .... best not go there !! Evil or Very Mad

Post #253574 17th Feb 2015 5:34 pm
georgetina

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black

Quick calc based on a few assumptions gives an increase in fuel consumption from (say) 40 mpg to 39.86 mpg if side lights and dipped beam are on.

Post #253624 17th Feb 2015 8:21 pm
CJB

Thanks.. I don't think anyone would be able to quantify it unless on a test bench, but it also squashes all arguments for not having Lights On all the time. So you guys Lights ON. Smile

Post #253633 17th Feb 2015 8:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>