Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > DLR's or Headlights On and MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Is it just me or do others find the DRL's on the latest FL2 rather 'blinding', They are very bright and set quite high up compared to normal cars so have a tendency to dazzle oncoming traffic. Unfortunately I think car makers are using DRL's as a design tool that look pretty rather than serving a purpose.

Post #253887 19th Feb 2015 3:29 pm
CJB

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

quite.. you might as well use full beam regardless. Some other high end cars I see just have squiggly lines, and look really naff.
The new FL3 seems to have thought the problem better.. but it seems they have just stuck a bar light where the spot used to be and left the spotlight hole in the bumper.. would have thought a proper bumper rebuild would have been much better.

Click image to enlarge

Post #253898 19th Feb 2015 4:00 pm
exbrat202

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Where's this FL 3 come from? I was under the impression it was the end of FL with Ewok and Disco Sport? Or am I being naive and missing something Embarassed Is this the Disco? MY14 TD4 manual XS Orkney grey.

MY11 TD4 Manual XS Lago Grey, privacy glass, rear spoiler, full ebony leather,rear seat entertainment. Gone
2001/51 plate Disco TD5 GS. Gone
95 N Disco TDi300. Gone

Post #253907 19th Feb 2015 4:26 pm
CJB

I saw this here .. don't know anything else about it to be honest .. might be just a hype.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/fr...freelander

Post #253909 19th Feb 2015 4:37 pm
CJB

here's another from what looks like a prototype road test
going off topic tho .

Post #253913 19th Feb 2015 4:54 pm
EYorkshire

Has this thread gone back in time Laughing Rolling Eyes

Post #253914 19th Feb 2015 5:03 pm
taztastic

England 

That green car is a figment of Autocars imagination Rolling Eyes

Been to Gaydon today, hundreds of camo' up cars Shocked

Post #253916 19th Feb 2015 5:18 pm
CJB

yeah .. sorry you guys.. showing my complete and total ignorance there hahahahahaha Bow down

everyone loves a clever Dick.

HOWEVER, to return to topic.. the new Discovery Sport Rolling with laughter shows a remarkable similarity to earlier images
and the placement of the DLR is as suggested. I still think it looks good but could have been done better.

Post #253918 19th Feb 2015 5:24 pm
CJB

One final observation.. It was a very bright clear sunny day in Kent this morning so took the FL down to Dover for some fresh air. On the way i took note of how others were driving and despite the very bright conditions I saw a notable amount of newish cars driving with headlights on, as well as Volvos, and those with DLR's didn't necessarily stand out any more than those without.
So I will now drive with dipped beam and/ or sides with the fogs on and not worry about any MPG penalty. Thumbs Up

Post #254358 22nd Feb 2015 5:15 pm
landygeezer

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
"Illegal DRLs"

You have posted a photograph of a set of DRLs from Adamesh and subtitled it with 'illegal'. I think you will find these lights meet all ECE requirements and are quite legal - whether you like them or not is another matter, I do and have bought a set thought still to be mounted. You can be assured I did my homework first before parting with my hard earned cash!
I have use Adamesh many times before, mainly on previous Jags, but I have always found them to provide very sound advice and good quality products - no I don't have any connection!!! 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #254511 23rd Feb 2015 8:12 pm
exbrat202

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

They may be illegal simply because of the distance from the outside edge of the vehicle rather than the light units themselves being illegal? MY14 TD4 manual XS Orkney grey.

MY11 TD4 Manual XS Lago Grey, privacy glass, rear spoiler, full ebony leather,rear seat entertainment. Gone
2001/51 plate Disco TD5 GS. Gone
95 N Disco TDi300. Gone

Post #254513 23rd Feb 2015 8:20 pm
CJB

Re: "Illegal DRLs"

landygeezer wrote:
You have posted a photograph of a set of DRLs from Adamesh and subtitled it with 'illegal'. I think you will find these lights meet all ECE requirements and are quite legal - whether you like them or not is another matter, I do and have bought a set thought still to be mounted. You can be assured I did my homework first before parting with my hard earned cash!
I have use Adamesh many times before, mainly on previous Jags, but I have always found them to provide very sound advice and good quality products - no I don't have any connection!!!

sorry to be pedantic .. but the EU rules quite clearly state.
the outside edge of the light has to within 40cm of the outside edge of the car, and the inside edge of the lights must be at least 60cm apart. there are also height limitations .. and they MUST reduce in intensity when headlights are on .. ie at night.

Apparently if you drive on the continent then you can be spot fined if found to be illegal. So the photo I highlighted shows an illegal installation due to the position of the lights.

https://www.firstfour.co.uk/graphics/produ...ctions.pdf
I looked at this because the ideal place for the FL2 is behind the front grill.. but an illegal siting. Anyway, I now drive with headlights on as do quite a few others now, ala Volvo, even in bright sunshine.. and it looks good too Thumbs Up

Post #254518 23rd Feb 2015 8:59 pm
landygeezer

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
DRLs

I have copied a passage from a reply by the Ministry Of Transport and it appears from this and other articles I have read the measurements you have given only apply to factory fitted DRLs and retro fitted DRLs don't have the same restrictions.
I hope this clarifies the situation - we were all right one way or another. Thumbs Up

Retro Fitted DRL (daytime running lights) Law

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case any one is interested, this is the email I got back from the DfT with regards DRLs.

Dear Mr Ross

Thank you for your email to TTS Enquriries about DRL Positioning.

Vehicle manufacturers must meet the requirements laid out in UNECE regulation 48 on the installation of vehicle lighting which requires the following:

6.19.4. Position
6.19.4.1. In width: the distance between the inner edges of the apparent surfaces in the direction of the reference axes shall not be less than 600 mm.
This distance may be reduced to 400 mm where the overall width of the vehicle is less than 1,300 mm.
6.19.4.2. In height: above the ground not less than 250 mm nor more than 1,500 mm.
6.19.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle. This requirement shall be deemed to be satisfied if the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either directly, or indirectly through the devices for indirect vision and/or other reflecting surfaces of the vehicle.
6.19.5. Geometric visibility
Horizontal: outwards 20° and inwards 20°.
Vertical: upwards 10° and downwards 10°.
6.19.6. Orientation
Towards the front.

Anyone retro-fitting DRL to a vehicle which is in use is not subject to these requirements but they must not use them so as to cause unnecessary dazzle or discomfort to other road users.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Mary Kissane
Department for Transport
IVS Division 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #254525 23rd Feb 2015 9:45 pm
CJB

that's an interesting reply you got.. no need to take umbrage.. i couldn't actually care less what you do with your own car... as long as you don't cause oncoming traffic to crash into you or more likely, someone else !!
Just don't drive in Europe is all I would say, where quite a few countries insist on headlights anyway.

The best retro option for the FL is to replace the foglights.. but they're so small its not really worth the bother. the bar lights fitted to most new cars look best if they're properly designed.

Send us all a pic of your car .. then we can all have an opinion on what you did. Whistle

Post #254535 23rd Feb 2015 10:00 pm
CJB

just a last thought.. if the Uk is actually unregulated then this is the sort of thing the nutters will do.

or this

Post #254544 23rd Feb 2015 10:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>