« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > No Tax Disc!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
No Tax Disc!

After 43 years of possessing tax discs for my various vehicles, at the end of this month I'm one of those who don't need a tax disc anymore.
This is going to feel very strange, as if every Plod is going to pull me over.
Where I live is not a hive of technology.
Broadband is considered as something that holds your trousers up.
Is every Plod car now equipped with ANPR? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #234615 12th Sep 2014 8:28 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

They don't need ANPR, if its not taxed or SORN'd they will be paying you a visit. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #234621 12th Sep 2014 8:57 pm
Pegleg

It'll be taxed, just that the tax disc is obsolete for all renewals from Oct 1st
Will I get pulled over for not displaying one? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #234624 12th Sep 2014 9:10 pm
taztastic

England 

No, no one is required to display the disc any longer after that date as far as I know.
Many people could lose out when the car is sold as the remaining tax does not transfer with the car, you would need to clsim it back or lose it.

Post #234626 12th Sep 2014 9:14 pm
EYorkshire

I have just received my reminder, it will be 12months of owning my latest FL2 and it says apply on line or post office but you will get nothing in return for your money, just added to their database. Sad
It'll be nice to have a clear windscreen, I hate stickers of any kind in any window.

Post #234629 12th Sep 2014 9:52 pm
taztastic

England 

Ditto, re the stickers, glass is to be seen through, it will feel strange initially.

Have some family over in Ireland (Eire) and they have to display Tax, MOT and Insurance in the window, passengers get to see very little through the front Laughing

Post #234632 12th Sep 2014 10:24 pm
Pegleg

I'm going to display a beer matt until I get used to it all Laughing
Probably get pulled over by Plod for doing so Big Cry Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #234634 12th Sep 2014 11:03 pm
taztastic

England 

Nobody gets pulled these days only those on reality TV programmes, when was the last time you saw a copper pull someone.
They hate paperwork unless it details their large pension offering.

Post #234635 12th Sep 2014 11:08 pm
ad210358

England 

When was the last time your saw a copper, I often use the M6, it's not unusual to travel from J4 to J44 and not see one, you can include the M74 also, they just seem to rely on Camera Vans on the M74.

Post #234640 12th Sep 2014 11:29 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

In other words the public now won't be able to report a car that is non taxed. What kind of brain thought this one up? Typical of this day and age of those in power not thinking things through properly.
My new tax disc I had to cut out as the last are only being laser printed with a note saying I wont have to even display it shortly.

If they are going to do something as stupid as this then swap road fund license onto petrol tax then everyone would have to pay. The more one uses a vehicle the more they would pay. Unfortunately this is too simple a solution for these brainless people to grasp . Even foreigners would then contribute if they come over with their vehicles. Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #234646 13th Sep 2014 1:03 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

What I find daft is it that a lot of people will abuse this for free parking! Jump on autotrader find a vehicle identical to yours and get a set on plates made online! Now you can over park in a supermarket and head into town or simply park in town and get a ticket which sadly will come and bite the owner/garage of the car you have cloned Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #234648 13th Sep 2014 8:15 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

They have thought it through - Big Brother is watching! There is an ever- increasing number of ANPR cameras around, which automatically check insurance and tax on whatever goes past. Nosey neighbours are no longer needed to shop the untaxed - they'll do it themselves next time they drive past a camera. Its taken a little longer than Orwll predicted, but 1984 is just around the corner!

Post #234649 13th Sep 2014 8:16 am
taztastic

England 

I agree with pad there, you will all have noticed the strange blue looking cameras in odd locations

These are ANPR cameras used by the Traffcmaster network to report traffic flow, it checks a registration mark and checks the database to find the next camera and the time that the car passes, it does this with many vehicles as some will obviously stop between cameras and give a false reading, if however, a large number of cars do not reach the next camera it triggers a delay alert.
With the flick of a switch the government would have access to this network which has cameras on nearly every motorway bridge, in towns and many rural locations and because it was erected as a service we all sat by and watched it happen.
The tax disc has disappeared so what will be next, road charging per use?

As Pab proclaimed, big brother is just around the corner.

Post #234656 13th Sep 2014 9:43 am
ad210358

England 

The above have been around for about twenty years now, usually only on Motorways and Trunk Roads, the number plate is taken and encrypted allegedly so no one actually sees the registration number.

These I would be more worried about if you have a heavy right foot, already on the Southern Section of the M25 and coming to an area near you. Not to be confused with the overhead Gantry mounted box, which takes your picture as you pass if your speeding, these get you from a distance.

The roads leading in and out of most towns now have APNR cameras mounted on Lamp Posts and strategic points across the country. There was a serious collision near us a while ago, the car causing it was tracked around for a thirty mile radius on various roads by APNR Cameras.

Post #234658 13th Sep 2014 10:12 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

realspeed wrote:
In other words the public now won't be able to report a car that is non taxed. What kind of brain thought this one up? Typical of this day and age of those in power not thinking things through properly.

That the whole point, no one will need to report it as they will already know about it, if you have a car which is not taxed or SORN'd expect a visit. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #234661 13th Sep 2014 10:28 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>