« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Gremlins ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Gremlins ...

Have you experienced any, what were they ..?

I've had two so far.

First, driving along the other day the radio 'locked up' completely. Wouldn't respond to any input at all either from direct operation of the dashboard controls, channel change, CD, band change etc, or from any of the remote controls on the steering wheel; volume also locked. This situation was corrected by stopping the car, switching the engine and ignition off and starting up again; everything came back to life, worked correctly, there have been no further problems.

Second, just happened and a bit more of a concern. About an hour ago went to use the car for the first time today. Put the key in, pressed the button and immediately got a warning on the information panel "transmission fault - traction will be reduced", the engine didn't start and the key was ejected without me touching it. I removed the key completely then tried again about 20 seconds later, this time all warning lights came on a normal, accompanied by the system self check warning message on the information panel; the engine started. However I noticed that both mileage trips were reset as were the mpg and average speed data in the trip computer. Have since covered abut 15 miles no problem. Not much I can do apart from note that it happened and hope that it doesn't happen again.

Post #1440 24th Jan 2007 11:56 pm
Scottie

Scotland 

yip had the radio one alot. Only on start up though found when we stop the car to get out switch the radio off. Since doing this everytime we get in the car and switch the radio on not had any further problems. Fiona

Post #1441 25th Jan 2007 12:01 am
simon

United Kingdom 

don't worry... software updates will become part of your life for wee while Wink

All will be cool soon Smile

Post #1443 25th Jan 2007 1:55 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

The D3 community initially found cold weather threw up lots of errors in the early days, rebooting usually cleared most. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #1444 25th Jan 2007 10:42 am
RsTurbo

Italy 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Gremlins ...

avtur wrote:
Have you experienced any, what were they ..?

I've had two so far.

First, driving along the other day the radio 'locked up' completely. Wouldn't respond to any input at all either from direct operation of the dashboard controls, channel change, CD, band change etc, or from any of the remote controls on the steering wheel; volume also locked. This situation was corrected by stopping the car, switching the engine and ignition off and starting up again; everything came back to life, worked correctly, there have been no further problems.

Second, just happened and a bit more of a concern. About an hour ago went to use the car for the first time today. Put the key in, pressed the button and immediately got a warning on the information panel "transmission fault - traction will be reduced", the engine didn't start and the key was ejected without me touching it. I removed the key completely then tried again about 20 seconds later, this time all warning lights came on a normal, accompanied by the system self check warning message on the information panel; the engine started. However I noticed that both mileage trips were reset as were the mpg and average speed data in the trip computer. Have since covered abut 15 miles no problem. Not much I can do apart from note that it happened and hope that it doesn't happen again.

I'm very troubled by your problems, as well as the gearbox oil leakage...
My Freelander2 has been ordered 22nd December and i have fear of that happens to me...Or Land Rover has already solve these problems?

Post #1463 29th Jan 2007 7:08 pm
avtur

car back to dealer to investigate transmission warning, radio problem & oil leak! Great start to the day with a 30 minute wait at service reception ...

Post #1466 30th Jan 2007 12:06 pm
MudAllOverIt

avtur wrote:
Great start to the day with a 30 minute wait at service reception ...

I can't say I was ever greatly enamoured with the main dealer I used whan I had my FL1.

Quite often I had annoying waits at service reception when it seemed nothing much was going on. I never did manage to get a courtesy car when mine was in for service -- it could be done but you had to book your service something like two or three months in advance Mad

A number of times I had to take it back because the service technicians either didn't read the service sheet or didn't believe what I was telling them about minor niggles I wanted sorted.

I'm not in the market for another new car at the moment -- my wife is getting a new company car next month so I'm happy to rely on my hobby cars for daily drivers -- but if I was in the market for a new car no doubt it would be a Land Rover but definitely not from the same dealer. Bill

'97 Land Rover 300Tdi Defender 90 "Big Red" - Never Clean
'78 Triumph Spitfire 2500 - Much Modified
'76 Triumph 2000TC Saloon - Forever Original
ex V6 Freelander owner not interested in another shiny Land Rover at the moment

Post #1468 30th Jan 2007 1:15 pm
avtur

avtur wrote:
car back to dealer to investigate transmission warning, radio problem & oil leak! Great start to the day with a 30 minute wait at service reception ...

Told I could have a lone car for the day.... then this changed to a LR provided loan via Enterprise car rental. Eventually picked up the rental car (FL1 HSE with 5k miles); about 4 miles down the road a large piece of 'trunking' fell form behind the dashboard onto my feet, temporarily obstructing the brake pedal!!! Returned to rental depot to be told that the car had only just returned from the main dealer where the ‘trunking’ had been replaced (it turned out to be the main feed for hot air to the windscreen). That of course is the same main dealer where my car is … how very confidence inspiring.

Post #1471 30th Jan 2007 7:54 pm
BOOWHO

United Kingdom 

Here is a car taken years to develop and TEST now the owners are taking delivery and things start to go wrong some are saying expect software updates as if it should be part of the package, bad enough that they have not been corrected after all the testing, and that the cold weather might cause some of these faults makes a mockery of the cold climates advert, but serious oil leaks and bits falling off obstucting the brakes are worrying. For the small amount of Freel2 members who have taken delivery there seems many faults. I wish them well and hope LR sort their problems out quickly.

Post #1472 30th Jan 2007 10:01 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Remember that although LR will have carried out x millions of miles of testing (as with any manufacturer with a new vehicle) , just 10,000 customers doing 10,000 miles in a year will do of the order of 10-100 times more 'testing' than was carried out during development.

So it's not entirely unexpected that issues sometimes appear and are fixed in later model years Smile

Post #1473 30th Jan 2007 11:14 pm
BOOWHO

United Kingdom 

Martin are you saying that these people spending up to over £30000 have not purchased a finished product and should to some extent be guinea pigs?

Post #1474 30th Jan 2007 11:35 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

I'm not saying that they should, because even 1 million miles should bring up all kinds of problems.

First-off-the-line vehicles are finished as well as they can be, but it is unavoidable for true real-world driving to throw up new problems.

This is true for every manufacturer, and just about every product, and is not in any sense limited to LR or cars Smile

Post #1475 30th Jan 2007 11:40 pm
BOOWHO

United Kingdom 

Martin your last two posts must be joy to any LR DEALER who might care to read it and help keep some of them in their pompous attitude to their customers,on the other hand your members like AVTUR and JUMPLEAD must wonder why when their new car is back with the dealer after a few weeks on the road you would appear to be making excuses for LR and that they should accept this with the car being so new.

Post #1476 31st Jan 2007 2:28 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Rolling Eyes

I'm not making excuses for them - ideally there would be no issues and the dealer wouldn't have to be involved apart from servicing. I genuinely do wish this were the case.

The reality is that problems can and do occur, as we've already seen, and it is the dealer which makes all the difference in supporting the customer.

I was merely pointing out the situation and explaining why some failures like this can occur, not that they should.

Post #1477 31st Jan 2007 9:17 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

The trouble with buying LRs is if you get a good dealer the experience is great, but if you have a bad dealer it is awful. The trunking that fell off was from a Fl1 not Fl2.

It doesn't matter what marque you buy some will give trouble, especially as software use increases. A mate had 2 Lexus saloons, rejected both and that is from a marque that has no reliability issues.

It is disappointing when any car goes wrong, but some will - it is how the dealer treats you that matters. That is why price alone is not the only issue to consider when choosing where to purchase. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #1478 31st Jan 2007 9:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>