« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > Lot's of LR2's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green
Lot's of LR2's

LR2's (Freelander 2) now seem to be popular in the Toronto area. I passed 2 new ones (on Dundas st. in Oakville) on the drive to work yesterday. Passed 2 grey ones in a row on my trip to downtown Toronto on Monday. This is a big difference from even a month ago so I guess the word is getting around.

I wonder what the recent sales numbers are like?

Post #19610 7th May 2008 8:49 pm
Rev

Canada 

I'll be driving mine around Toronto in July. I get excited whenever I see an LR2.

I remember when we got our smart 3 years ago there were none on the road, but now they are all over TO.

We need to organize a meet n greet at the beaches so we can test the sand setting. Wink Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #19616 7th May 2008 9:09 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Rev wrote:
I'll be driving mine around Toronto in July. I get excited whenever I see an LR2.

I remember when we got our smart 3 years ago there were none on the road, but now they are all over TO.

We need to organize a meet n greet at the beaches so we can test the sand setting. Wink

Sand setting in Canada?
I thought that they tested the snow setting there. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
No offence meant because I also think that they tested the mid & ruts setting on Romanian national roads Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Thinking again after such a testing they would definititly have considered the air suspention so that they can add the rock setting Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19670 8th May 2008 4:05 pm
Rev

Canada 

No offence taken.

We do get a lot of snow and it would be a good place to test it. i can't wait to see how it does this winter compared to my Grand Am GT (I got it and the smart stuck 5 times this record breaking winter in Toronto). This is the main reason why i am buying the LR2.

But I was just joking that we could drive it on the sand beaches of the city to test the sand setting. Somehow I don't think the city officials would appreciate us ripping up and down the beaches in our LR2s. I can't imagine there are many places in Ontario to test the sand setting. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #19681 8th May 2008 5:50 pm
Matei

Rev wrote:
No offence taken.

We do get a lot of snow and it would be a good place to test it. i can't wait to see how it does this winter compared to my Grand Am GT (I got it and the smart stuck 5 times this record breaking winter in Toronto). This is the main reason why i am buying the LR2.

But I was just joking that we could drive it on the sand beaches of the city to test the sand setting. Somehow I don't think the city officials would appreciate us ripping up and down the beaches in our LR2s. I can't imagine there are many places in Ontario to test the sand setting.

I have seen here somewhere on the forum that putting the car on sand setting will acually give a much crispyer response and better sprint as on sand setting you'll get the maximum torque faster and also I think the ESP is deactivated to aloow slippage of the wheel in order to get grip. This shuld also let go some nice noises. Anyway it seems that if the sand is damp and wet the setting should be on Mud&Ruts.
The manual say however that in improper setting will not damage the engine so have fun FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19682 8th May 2008 6:03 pm
Rev

Canada 

So maybe the sand setting would be great to take it out into the snow and have some fun fishtailing around. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #19693 8th May 2008 7:06 pm
Matei

Rev wrote:
So maybe the sand setting would be great to take it out into the snow and have some fun fishtailing around.

Never thought about this. Seems a good ideea for fun bearing in mind that you can revert to yhe snow setting if you get stuck.
Bearing in mind this why did they put a grass setting for Gambba? Rolling with laughter FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19696 8th May 2008 7:20 pm
Rev

Canada 

my smart has such sophisticated traction control etc that it is boring to drive in the snow, so I'll be glad to disable this in the LR Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #19702 8th May 2008 7:44 pm
Matei

Rev wrote:
No offence taken.

But I was just joking that we could drive it on the sand beaches of the city to test the sand setting. Somehow I don't think the city officials would appreciate us ripping up and down the beaches in our LR2s. I can't imagine there are many places in Ontario to test the sand setting.

Grand Am GT has rear wheel traction I think which is allways a bit tricky on snow or slippery surfaces.
You'll have permanent four wheel now and a higher ground clearence.
All you'll have to worry now is if there will be snow this year. Or is snow one of your constitutionat rights? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Do you intend to fit winter tyres ? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19724 9th May 2008 6:51 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Rev wrote:
my smart has such sophisticated traction control etc that it is boring to drive in the snow, so I'll be glad to disable this in the LR

There are some threads on Freel2 that are "difficult" to contribute too as this one is Neutral Dont think there is many "6-months-a-year-winter-tyre-fitted-slipping-and-sliding-members" that could think about turning OFF the traction control unless it was neccassary Shocked
Still spose if it is fun you want, and I hope it will not be on a normal trafficated winter roads then I can understand that (sort of) Confused 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #19726 9th May 2008 7:29 am
Rev

Canada 

Matei wrote:
Rev wrote:
No offence taken.

Grand Am GT has rear wheel traction I think which is allways a bit tricky on snow or slippery surfaces.
All you'll have to worry now is if there will be snow this year. Or is snow one of your constitutionat rights? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Do you intend to fit winter tyres ?

Actually it is front wheel drive but we had record-breaking snow for Toronto last year. We had many 30+ cm snowstorms. When that happens in a dense city like Toronto there is nowhere to put the snow but to push it to the side. I work on a small one way street that rarely gets cleared after a snow-storm and when they do plow all the snow is pushed to the side of the street where one would park. So there was about a month where I worked from home because I couldn’t get to work, and when I did go I got stuck. The smart was a little better than the Grand Am but it still got stuck (at least it was easy to get pushed out). So I decided that after last winter I’m going to get a 4WD with higher ride height so I can hopefully get where I need to go.

Regarding snow in Canada: when I was a kid we got snow in November and it lasted through to March. Things are now a little more unpredictable, but we still are guaranteed at least three months of heavy snow. Many places in Canada get much much more. Toronto is protected quite a bit by Lake Ontario. The dealer said that the original tires are fine for winter driving and few have been buying winter tires. Maybe there are other Canadians here who can fill me in on this. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #19758 9th May 2008 3:09 pm
Rev

Canada 

AndyC wrote:
Rev wrote:
my smart has such sophisticated traction control etc that it is boring to drive in the snow, so I'll be glad to disable this in the LR

There are some threads on Freel2 that are "difficult" to contribute too as this one is Neutral Dont think there is many "6-months-a-year-winter-tyre-fitted-slipping-and-sliding-members" that could think about turning OFF the traction control unless it was neccassary Shocked
Still spose if it is fun you want, and I hope it will not be on a normal trafficated winter roads then I can understand that (sort of) Confused

Dude, when you grow up in Ontario, winter driving is a sport. We have no problems driving in 40 cm of snow on bald all season tires (not that it is a good idea). That is just par for the course. There is nothing I love better then going out after a large snowfall and fishtailing around corners etc. We are not afraid of snow. At the same time I am excited to buy a vehicle that I know can safely get me where I want to go without getting stuck. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #19759 9th May 2008 3:15 pm
Matei

Rev wrote:
Matei wrote:
Rev wrote:
No offence taken.

Do you intend to fit winter tyres ?

Actually it is front wheel drive but we had record-breaking snow for Toronto last year. We had many 30+ cm snowstorms. When that happens in a dense city like Toronto there is nowhere to put the snow but to push it to the side. I work on a small one way street that rarely gets cleared after a snow-storm and when they do plow all the snow is pushed to the side of the street where one would park. So there was about a month where I worked from home because I couldn’t get to work, and when I did go I got stuck. The smart was a little better than the Grand Am but it still got stuck (at least it was easy to get pushed out). So I decided that after last winter I’m going to get a 4WD with higher ride height so I can hopefully get where I need to go.

Regarding snow in Canada: when I was a kid we got snow in November and it lasted through to March. Things are now a little more unpredictable, but we still are guaranteed at least three months of heavy snow. Many places in Canada get much much more. Toronto is protected quite a bit by Lake Ontario. The dealer said that the original tires are fine for winter driving and few have been buying winter tires. Maybe there are other Canadians here who can fill me in on this.

We obviously do not have the same kind of winters here but just two days after I bought mine we had some snow - heavy for whereI live and I had the opportunity to test her. Just great. Only thik to worry some drivers that drove like it was summer and dry. Only cars that could go uphill were 4AWD (Freelander leading). They do the same here and just push the snow to the side where people park. Even better for when you just break the snow and park or leave the parking. This sensation is great.
Also here thetyres are marked M+S which means that they have some mud and snow abilities but they still are all weather all year tyres.
If you expect so much snow I think that you should not go for side steps or side tubes as they will increase the contact with the snow (sorryif I stated the obvious). FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19764 9th May 2008 4:53 pm
Rev

Canada 

Glad to hear it is good in the snow. I am glad to hear it can pull out of a parking spot after a snowfall, because that is something I really need.

The first snowfall of the year is always a disaster here because people forget how to drive in the white stuff. Usually we get it figured out after a few weeks.

I hadn't thought about the side bars. Thanks. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #19766 9th May 2008 5:19 pm
Matei

Rev wrote:
Glad to hear it is good in the snow. I am glad to hear it can pull out of a parking spot after a snowfall, because that is something I really need.

The first snowfall of the year is always a disaster here because people forget how to drive in the white stuff. Usually we get it figured out after a few weeks.

I hadn't thought about the side bars. Thanks.

First snow here is allways a disater because it allways seems to take the authoryties by surprise and they do not put salt, or whatever, on the roads and the snowploughts are not ready.
Driving is quite hectic here and for some time I am considering to put a towbar just to encurage the next car to keep a little more distance.
I think that you are going to get the autofolding mirrors. I had a look at mine and there should be no reason for problems after a heavy snow or icy rain but you might want to check with your dealer. Here tey say "nio problem" but in my last car, (a Peugeot 407) they said that before every winter I should ask the dealer to reprgramm the remote so that the mirrors do not autofold. Anyway I have noticed aquite some space between the left mirror glass and the left mirror body so I would not tryto adjust the left mirror if there is snow or ice between the mirror itslf and the mirror window. The space I am talking about is generated by your driving position and is probably not something universal so that you might not have a problem with this. The only problem would be if two people would drive thecar and the mirror would need regular adjustments.
Maybe I am overcarefull but with electronics ................. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19771 9th May 2008 5:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>