Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Key Fob Code Grabbers - Should I be worried?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ptbalfour

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
Key Fob Code Grabbers - Should I be worried?

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of Freelander 2 theft using a Key fob code grabber at all?

Once inside is there anything they can plug into the diagnostic port that would make it start?

I guess this begs the question how secure is the locking and immobiliser on a Freelander 2 compared to those on other cars?

Thanks 08 FL2 GS TD4 Auto, Stornoway Grey, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Ebony Leather, Heated Front Windscreen/front seats

Post #223178 27th Apr 2014 8:28 am
taztastic

England 

It seems the latest RRS has a vulnerability, given that the same technology is probably in the latest Freelander then perhaps they are at risk. A few Evoques have also been taken this way, I believe.

I know many people are blaming LR for the issue but in reality whatever security defence they come up with, someone will always try to break it. Even fingerprint technology isn't safe, if they want it they will get it, that may be using a finger whether it's attached or not to it's owner.

Possibly the answer lies in making not the car more secure but it's environ, ie bollards?

Post #223179 27th Apr 2014 8:41 am
ad210358

England 

Iirc, there are only two reports on here of a stolen Freelander 2, both occasions the house was burgled and the Fobs taken, not one report as far as I can remember of a Fob being cloned.

Post #223180 27th Apr 2014 8:42 am
ptbalfour

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
How To Program LAND ROVER FREELANDER2 SMART KEY

Has anyone else seen this on youtube? Admittedly you need the key fob though. Seems worringly straightforward tho.

08 FL2 GS TD4 Auto, Stornoway Grey, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Ebony Leather, Heated Front Windscreen/front seats

Post #223181 27th Apr 2014 8:55 am
tim4848

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Santorini Black

I asked about this with an LR dealer a while ago, when BMWs were highlighted as susceptible. I was told that the F2 (MY2010 at least) was fine as you can't obtain/read the Key Fob code from the OBD system in the car. The code has to be obtained from LR themselves (So don't lose your fobs as it'll cost you an arm and a leg!). It might be possible if you have your spare fob (that's working) to read from but a thief won't have your spare

I believe the reason the BMWs were vulnerable was because you could break/cut a small area of one the windows without setting off the alarm, easily reach in to get to the OBD system and then read the code with a device that's easy to obtain

I don't mind if anyone contradicts me, so if anyone knows I'm talking rubbish, let us know

I don't know about newer LR models though

Post #223182 27th Apr 2014 8:58 am
ad210358

England 

This is why when you lose a Fob, get a new one, the dealer needs both to programme.

Post #223186 27th Apr 2014 10:19 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Code grabbers, no, they use pretty sophisticated encryption techniques these days. But researchers have demonstrated a vulnerability with keyless entry systems, using range extenders to make the car think the key is within range when it's not. E.g. you could be sitting in a restaurant having a meal. Someone at the next table has a range extender which retransmits the signals between car and fob, and your car is fooled and unlocks! I don't know how much of a problem this is in practice, but it has apparently been done.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/422298/car-theft-by-antenna/

Post #223187 27th Apr 2014 10:23 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

So Pab, just a thought, if a a metal 'envelope' jacket pocket was made to put the fob inside and it clipped to the key ring would that stop signal transmission from the fob and thus stop anybody 'reading and retransmitting' ??
Kind regards from Fred.
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #223193 27th Apr 2014 12:09 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I would expect so, yes. But, of course, it would also stop the keyless entry working.

Post #223195 27th Apr 2014 12:15 pm
ad210358

England 

On mine I have to be within 12" at least before I can open the door, then that is the drivers door, if I then put the Fob in the door pocket and try to start it, it won't start, just beeps and displays "smart key not found" again needs to be within 12" of the steering column. If I should inadvertently leave the Fob in the door pocket and lock it with the spare Fob, even though I've left the Fob in the door pocket, I cannot open the door.

Post #223199 27th Apr 2014 1:12 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Agreed ad, I have the keyless start in the ST. Thinking about the keyless start got me wondering about car jackers. I drive with the doors locked but if someone (god forbid) ever came over to my car whilst sat at the lights with a knife etc, and I wasn't able to simply accelerate away, I thought the best plan is to open the door to hand him the car but quickly press the engine stop button.

Then, when he climbs aboard, leg it like mad with the key in your pocket and the crim won't be able to start it. Of course, if the crim knows their stuff, they will demand the fob too. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #223201 27th Apr 2014 1:30 pm
DAC364

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Recently-ex cop speaking! Code grabbing is by far the least common form of vehcile theft. High value LR/RR vehicles tend to be stolen in one of two ways:

1: key theft - they steal your keys or break into your house to steal them - hide them in an unlikely place and not inside the front hall!

2. OBD2 coding. There are techniques out there to subvert alarms - breaking in to the vehicle (or unlocked) including via the sunroof. Equipment is out there to plug in OBD code readers which then copy the security to a blank key (from China via ebay, cheap!!). Once in, it takes seconds to code the new key. Very clever, and on the rise.

The simple steps to take are: Park in a secure location, block your pride and joy in if you can, be cautious where you keep your keys etc Fit additional security or a tracker if your'e really worried.

By far the most popular LR vehicles to steal are the RR/Sport and Evoques - shipping containers full en route to Africa are often found at container ports. By way of consolation, its not just LR, but Audi, BMW and Merc that are all affected.

The Freelander is much more difficult to steal than a 300tdi Defender which needs a lod cough and a rusty spoon to get rolling!!

Post #223304 28th Apr 2014 12:47 pm
DAC364

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

And.....

Don't let anyone at LR tell you the OBD codes can't be copied read....

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2014/04/two-lin...ar-thefts/

Post #223305 28th Apr 2014 12:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

not good at all, but what ever you do they will find a way around it after a while

if you accidentally damaged your ODB port, is it easily repairable, (ie got to LR and buy a new connector and plug it in or is it the whole wiring loom that would need replacing too Question

Post #223306 28th Apr 2014 1:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

if you are worried, then why no buy a ODB Port lock?, might not stop them, 100% but at least they don't have access to them as easy

http://tieronevehiclesolutions.com/product...protected/

or others available online

Post #223307 28th Apr 2014 1:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>