Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > 13,000 Miles Of Ownership. The List Of What’s Gone Wrong
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
peasemold

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
13,000 Miles Of Ownership. The List Of What’s Gone Wrong

For the second time of pposting!!

Car now on 59,000 miles

1. The fan speed varies even when set manually. It squeaks at low speed.
2. The satnav, radio and park sensors sometimes (monthly) suddenly switch off and on again approx ten times a minute. The only way to stop it is to pull the fuse. Fuse refit does not fix the problem. Very distracting when it starts at night.
3. Notwithstanding 2, when the car starts the satnav screen is so dim that you almost can’t read it. Ten minutes later it is very bright. Auto dimming is switched off.
4. The tailgate switch has failed.
5. A handbrake cable has frozen, rendering what was initially a rubbish device into a liability. Toe and heel needed for incline starts. Off road in hills was impossible even when it was good enough for the MOT.
6. It had a new centre propshaft bearing and propshafts 5000 miles ago.
7. It has just had a new n/s wheel bearing.
8. It has trim rattling seat shaking driveline vibration between 1500 and 2000 revs in any gear.
9. The tickover has become lumpy, and when you switch it off the car shudders to a halt.
10. Cold start, even using two stage starting, is a fingers crossed operation.
11. The sunroof whistles as if it is cracked open.
12. First to second gear is so clonky that it’s smoother to pull off in second.

This is probably the worst car I have owned in 40 years of motoring, including such delights as Ford Anglia, Morris Marina and Austin Allegro. My previous car, a Mondeo TDCI did 135000 miles and only needed servicing and consumables. It pulled like a train from 1800 revs in top, and this torque made it a better towcar than the Freelander. My daughter’s 15 year old 1.0L Polo is arguably a better ride and definitely more reliable. My wife calls the Freelander the Old Rattler, my car mechanic friend The (what’s gone wrong this week Ha Ha) Pig.

I appreciate that the Freelander may be fantastic in adverse conditions, but what’s the point in having class leading off road capability if you are reluctant to go where the AA/RAC/Friends can’t reach you.

I wonder if the new breed of buyers who bought a Freelander/Evoke as a lifestyle accessory will put up with this With no mechanical sympathy and no brand loyalty I suspect they will be abandoning the marque in droves at the first sign of trouble, and telling all their friends why. I presume that the new factory is being built to handle all the warranty claims.

And the reason for this spleen venting now? On the way home tonight the “miles remaining” counter slowly ticked down from 135 miles to zero in about 2 minutes. This was accompanied by the smooth drop of the fuel gauge and the sounding of the low fuel warning beeper. Before I could find somewhere to pull over it did the same thing in the opposite direction, restoring the fuel in the tank…………………….

Hugely Disappointed Grumpy Old Man. 2007 TD4 SE Manual Santrini Black

Post #131364 10th Feb 2012 10:33 pm
taztastic

England 

13,000 miles of agony.......why have you still got it?

My first 15,000 miles has been a far better experience than I had with both Mercedes or VW, only the Skoda I had was trouble free.
If your friends a mechanic, maybe you need better friends Laughing

Post #131367 10th Feb 2012 11:01 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

stop using back street mechanics or DIY for your repairs 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #131369 10th Feb 2012 11:16 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

peasemold,

I feel for you and agree with it's a poor show for a motor with only 59,000 mile on the clock Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
( how much work was done on the car before you bought it !!!)

9. The tickover has become lumpy, and when you switch it off the car shudders to a halt.

( This could be a sign of the Censored DMF - Double Mass flywheel on the way out- )
Sorry to say, you will not like the bill to put that right if it is the DMF

hope things get better soon
all the best Thumbs Up

Post #131388 11th Feb 2012 7:18 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

big-al-cove wrote:
stop using back street mechanics or DIY for your repairs

what makes you think this is what he is doing ?

anyway, I think I would be trading her in for something else and give someone else the headaches !!

Iain

Post #131406 11th Feb 2012 11:27 am
ad210358

England 

List of faults after 18000 glorious miles

That's it, all listed Thumbs Up

Post #131410 11th Feb 2012 12:07 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

ad210358 wrote:
List of faults after 18000 glorious miles

That's it, all listed Thumbs Up

You forgot one, it's Grey Rolling with laughter

Post #131412 11th Feb 2012 12:12 pm
big-al-cove

iain cooper wrote:
big-al-cove wrote:

anyway, I think I would be trading her in for something else and give someone else the headaches !!

Iain

main dealers go looking for things that are broken and don't work when your car is in for service thus these problem would have been fixed 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #131442 11th Feb 2012 3:54 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

not Toyota main dealers if Sundays papers were true, they were instructed to mend/mention nothing unless the customer does Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #131449 11th Feb 2012 4:55 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

big-al-cove wrote:
iain cooper wrote:
big-al-cove wrote:

Iain

main dealers go looking for things that are broken and don't work when your car is in for service thus these problem would have been fixed

Not sure they all do as I was talking to a guy yesterday who booked his VW Golf in for a full service at a local main dealer. He told them he needed the car for 3pm that day & got to the showroom at 2.15. He noticed his car was parked in the same place as he left it in the morning but it sported a seat cover. He assumed the technician had left it on there.
5 minutes later a technician walked through the showroom & promptly drove his car into the workshop. There is a viewing window into the workshop & he watched the guy drop the oil, change filter/sump plug & while that was draining did a very quick look at the underside of the car (no wheels etc off) & then 7 minutes later drive it back out of the workshop & park it up.
The service receptionist was rather suprised with his comment re the £225 bill for 1.5 hours labour.
The Dealer principal called him later that day & when questioned about the fitter's time was told that the guy working on his car was a Master Technician & worked faster = What a load of Censored Rolling with laughter (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #131463 11th Feb 2012 5:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Peasemold, sorry to hear of your woes....... Your latest issue is a known fault (I had it on my 57 model) There was a service bulletin or similar. Either you have a Friday afternoon car or it had a hard life before your ownership. I would get rid! JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #131464 11th Feb 2012 5:57 pm
big-al-cove

chicken george wrote:
not Toyota main dealers if Sundays papers were true, they were instructed to mend/mention nothing unless the customer does Rolling Eyes

Toyota will be afraid they find problems as this might turn into a RECALL costing several hundred thousand pounds for the umpteenth time 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #131479 11th Feb 2012 8:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

no they are just too smug, having a constant stream of pensioners thinking their cars must be good because they are Japanese, pride goes before a fall. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #131480 11th Feb 2012 8:15 pm
big-al-cove

chicken george wrote:
no they are just too smug, having a constant stream of pensioners thinking their cars must be good because they are Japanese, pride goes before a fall.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #131482 11th Feb 2012 8:22 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

well peasemould
Only 14 faults ! you have to remember its done 50000+ miles.
Mine developed 14 faults in the first three weeks of ownership from brandnew ! Loads of faults continued for three years +
My list of faults actually covered 5 pages of A4 and has only done 20K now & finally been fixed after writing to the MD of L/r.

Ref the Fan speed variation, mine did the same including the squeak ! told it was normal for 3 years.
now been fixed. It was a corroded cable ! yes from new, corrosion caused by manufacturing process.
Its been the worse car I have ever owned & if I get a smaller caravan then shall get shot of my FR2 & never have another.
In faxct what makes the car worse is L/r customer service and quite frankly incompetent dealer ships with a couldnt give a s Censored t attitude & the most common comment, " its a characteristic "

Post #131524 12th Feb 2012 12:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>