Home > Technical > Engine failure on the move and not starting back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gasteratos

Greece 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Lago Grey
Engine failure on the move and not starting back

Hi to everyone,

last night (Friday 27/9) i was driving my 2007 2.2 TD4 on the highway at 120km/h an suddenly without any warning and without any strange noise, the engine just smoothly stopped running and a message "redused power performance" appeared to the main display . I tried to start it again but it didn't. Every time the same message appears. I disconect and reconect the battery for 10 minutes and put some diesel on (hoped that the fuel indicator might not work and its run out of diesel) but it still doesn't start. The ignition starter works properly, all the electronics work properly, the battery is powerfull, but the car don't start. Today i called the technician of my dealer who talled me that the system fail to read a sensor or something and that's why it doesn't start. Also talled me that if it was the DPF it would turn to "safe mode" and run on 1100rpm.

Does anyone has a similar experience? I could use some help.

Thank you in advance.

Post #201131 28th Sep 2013 7:56 pm
alex_pescaru

Yes, it could be the crankshaft sensor, but also pray it's not this: www.freel2.com/forum/topic10702.html

Post #201148 28th Sep 2013 9:22 pm
gasteratos

Thank you. I hope its not something like this. My car has 177000 km (110000m). On the other hand i'm sure its not something like that. The ignition and the engine parts work very smooth when i try to start it. No dinks and danks or any other weird noises.

Tomorrow i will send the car to the dealer.

Post #201172 29th Sep 2013 6:22 am
gasteratos

alex_pescaru wrote:
Yes, it could be the crankshaft sensor, but also pray it's not this: www.freel2.com/forum/topic10702.html

Alex you were right.

The dealer told me that the fuel pump is failed and we need a new one. I asked for a factory reconditioned fuel pump with one year warranty. Last Thursday the part finally found its way to my dealer.

The bad news is that the dealer informed me that the fuel pump is broken because of the crankshaft failure. The crankshaft is broken. He will call me on Monday to give me a full report. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE 2.2 (2007) Auto
Freelander 1 SE 1.8 (2006) Manual
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZD-npyKfs

Post #202811 12th Oct 2013 5:50 pm
alex_pescaru

Very sorry to hear this... But MY2007 and part of MY2008 are susceptible of this...
Kindly please, can you do something for us? Please take as many pictures of the broken parts involved as possible. Broken camshaft, fuel pump, etc.
It will help the (international) community to document and maybe take actions against LR that in some cases doesn't want to acknowledge that this is a real and serious problem with the above mentioned batch of cars...
Thank you!

PS: If you don't mind, I will ask a moderator to merge this thread with the one about the broken exhaust camshaft.

Post #202833 12th Oct 2013 8:31 pm
gasteratos

My dealer tried to have the part for free as a case that screams for a recall, but the importer in Greece answers that the car is far from the warranty either for kilometers or for years (175000km and 6 years on the road).

I have some photos to my office PC. On Monday i will upload some. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE 2.2 (2007) Auto

Post #203754 19th Oct 2013 4:51 pm
atlas

Romania 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

gasteratos wrote:
alex_pescaru wrote:

Alex you were right.

The dealer told me that the fuel pump is failed and we need a new one. I asked for a factory reconditioned fuel pump with one year warranty. Last Thursday the part finally found its way to my dealer.

The bad news is that the dealer informed me that the fuel pump is broken because of the crankshaft failure. The crankshaft is broken. He will call me on Monday to give me a full report.

It's a crankshaft Shocked Shocked Shocked or a camshaft failure ?

Post #203762 19th Oct 2013 6:01 pm
gasteratos

my mistake. It is an excaust camshaft failure. It was broken.

Everything was replased with original new ones. I took the car from the dealer and everything was fine until one night while driving in the highway, the car had power loss. I couldn't exceed 80km/hour and the accelaration was very poor. All gear worked perfectly but a "reduced power performance" message appeared on the screen.

I called the dealer and he send two technicians with a computer who found a message about turbo reduced performance. They clear the message and everything was working properly.... for 5 kilometers.

I called him again and asked me to send the car to the workshop. Finally a good maintenance of the turbo, and 250 euros later the car is perfect. 2 months now no problem.

I want to ask you all... after
1. fuel pump replacement
2. excaust camshaft replacement
3. full maintenance and cleaning of the turbo

should i expect anything else? My car has 180000 kilometers Freelander 2 TD4 HSE 2.2 (2007) Auto

Post #212866 4th Jan 2014 6:26 pm
alex_pescaru

No, that's pretty all things that could go wrong...
It will work OK from now... Laughing

Post #212889 4th Jan 2014 9:21 pm
gasteratos

This is what thw dealer told me as well. That nothing else could go wrong. This is my first LR that left on the side of the road with no previous warning. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE 2.2 (2007) Auto

Post #213008 5th Jan 2014 6:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1