Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Sites within short distance of pub/restaurants
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

I like the Grange Over Sands Caravan site, so next time i am up there i might have a look see what its like

Got myself booked in at the Angel @ Hetton shortly so looking forward to that as it was very nice the last time i ate there Thumbs Up

Not sure if the wife will stump up the £600 for the best wine though Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #197806 4th Sep 2013 1:19 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Castleton CC site is worth considering, if you ever get the opportunity to escape again. The village is only a few minutes walk away, and has several pubs serving food.

Post #197834 4th Sep 2013 3:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

castleton Derbyshire Question

if so a lovely place, spent a lot of my time in the area work, might have to plan another trip Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #197835 4th Sep 2013 3:59 pm
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

We're off there on the 13-15 sept for a little R&R. Not cc site but a farm My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #197861 4th Sep 2013 7:18 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

No R&R on a farm in Sept, you will be press ganged into work At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #197877 4th Sep 2013 8:33 pm
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I'll drive/ fix the tractors, owt else sod that for a game of soldiers My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #197889 4th Sep 2013 9:35 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
castleton Derbyshire Question

if so a lovely place, spent a lot of my time in the area work, might have to plan another trip

Yes, that's the one. It's a lovely site, in a lovely area.

We've done a fair bit of green laning in the area, in our Freelander 1 & the Disco 2. One day I'll get on the lanes again, just not in our F2.

Post #198359 7th Sep 2013 9:49 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

ad210358 wrote:
Lady Margaret's Park at Chirk, under two hours, very nice in the Autumn, will be checking it out again at the end of the month :thumbsup:

Not a decent pub in the town, you will need to do some research.

Bill T. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #199582 16th Sep 2013 1:55 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have had my weekend away, did you miss me Laughing

Went and booked in to the Grassington Caravan club site at threshfield arrived early Friday afternoon and set about setting the caravan up, then it was food time, so we drove to the craven heifer on Grassington Road, from the outside the pub looks really modern in a stone build pub sort of way, inside, I have to say it left a little to be desired, it felt past its sell by date, but the food, well that was very tasty, chicken liver pate for starters, then pan fried chump of lamb, with shredded lamb in a ball coated in breadcrumbs, all served up with a side of veg, the misses went for their Heifer Pie..... Beautiful and I wish I had too

Then we headed home to the 'van for bubbly after a little stroll around Skipton, cut short due to the wife's hair and drizzle Rolling with laughter

Saturday, up and breakfasted then set off to Ingleton Falls Walk, 4.5miles trail around waterfalls, easy going with 1000 steps built in and a nice first walk in 20 years, hopefully the first of many Embarassed

the angel in Hetton! booked for 8pm, but had to get the one taxi in that neck of the woods at 6:30pm but arrived with our table been all ready for us, strange as they couldn't do 7:00pm as requested ( I guessed after this might have been to a group of 10 dinning when we arrived, and them not wanting to us to wait whilst sorting them out also)

Anyway, we had a drink in the bar and looked over the menu, and went through around 7

Service was excellent, very polite, sir this madam that, bread served, with a spinach butter, I opted for black pudding and the wife had their seafood money bag( very popular) then fillet steaks each and lemon tart desert and I opted for sticky toffee pudding. Start to finish 100% excellent service

Regarding the Wine after much deliberation I opted for a bottle of Côte de Rhone, to be told it wasn't available, neither was the second option which name escapes me, since the wine menu was very large and I could not be bothered to look through it again, I asked for a bottle of wine, which the wife had got a glass of upon arriving, as to be honest it was very nice, so took the chance and enjoyed a couple of large glasses each from the bottle, doing this had a air of risk as the wine by the glass board in the bar ranged from £4 to £9 a glass and we didn't have a clue what we were drinking Laughing turned out to be £17 a bottle, a good saving over the £30 bottles I opted for

Enjoyed the weekend, turn out that been been 40 doesn't feel any different to been 39 and the muscle ache are hopefully from walking and not the age Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #202187 6th Oct 2013 10:20 pm
EYorkshire

Sounds like a nice birthday weekend away Thumbs Up

Which walk did you do, the River Twiss or the Doe Question We've walked the River Doe with a gentle climb up to the last 'fall' then back down the other side, finished off by a cream tea in some cafe I can't remember the name of.

Now's the time to start walking and do it regularly Thumbs Up proven fact there are benefits to be had in later life from it although sometimes I think it's all bull Censored Laughing

Post #202212 7th Oct 2013 1:54 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

seems you had a nice time shame you couldn't have treated the Mrs to a hotel room . rather than making her kip in a plastic box At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #202214 7th Oct 2013 2:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

@EY i walked the Ingleton Waterfall trail, basically a trail which started at Ingleton, and goes up past 4 or 5 waterfalls, peaks at a big one with a 20' drop, and then you go up and over to come down the next vally following the river, through a gorge and back down to the village and the carpark

http://www.ingletonwaterfallstrail.co.uk/

for the first walk it was a good day out, hoping to get a few more in before the bad weather comes and to get the kids out too Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #202217 7th Oct 2013 2:50 pm
EYorkshire

Gotcha Thumbs Up We went there about 5 years ago and I can't remember paying but as I said we did walk up the River Doe (the one you came back on) on one side and returned on the other so maybe we avoided the payment.

Perhaps the payment is for car parking as we parked in a side street and the paths are public, but either way it's good scenery, good waterfalls and not to be hastened. No doubt a few camera pics were taken Smile

Post #202219 7th Oct 2013 3:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

there was a newer looking NT kiosk at the homeward bound half way point (ingleborough & its Caves off to the right too) with lots of pay at the kiosk signs

so if you was going from that direction you might well have gotten away with it

I did take my camera, but didn't take my tripod, or venture down to get a better vantage point, so not sure what they have come out like, thats a job for this week

I'll post a couple or so up when i do Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #202220 7th Oct 2013 3:52 pm
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
seems you had a nice time shame you couldn't have treated the Mrs to a hotel room . rather than making her kip in a plastic box

Probably decided it would be safer if he took the van, don't want anyone running in the back of his Freely and hitting that towball Whistle p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #202227 7th Oct 2013 5:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>