« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > rear diff exploding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Dave007

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Mike,

Good to see you are looking into this personally on behalf of chrisdeeming.

Where does this leave the rest of us though? There are a fair few on this forum that have had rear diff issues - myself included. These have been repaired/replaced under or out of warranty but to read posts whereby people have had them explode/lock up at motorway speeds after repair/replacement does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Clearly this is a major safety concern.

Thanks MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #203306 16th Oct 2013 10:24 am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I understand your concern however this is the first instance of such an event that I am aware of (obviously with the exception on the other thread which is overseas). As with all instances safety related we do carry out investigations to find possible reasons/causes as to why it happened.

I can assure you that if we believed there to be any part safety issues then a recall would be carried out. However currently this is not the case but should things change I would be sure to update you.

If you or anyone else has any current concerns then please PM me to let me know and I will see what I can do to assist.

Many Thanks

Mike Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #203308 16th Oct 2013 10:41 am
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Hi,

Another PM is winging to way to Mike over this issue, he is to be congratulated on his concern/involvement with this rear diff failure issue.

Our's recently failed at just 27k, and was repaired very efficiently and without hassle by the supplying dealer (Duckworth's Boston) under the approved used vehicle warranty, so full marks to them for their efficient service.

However, wether repaired diff's lock up, or just fail within an unacceptable time as seems to be the case with others, it would surely be prudent for all sufferes to register their individual cases with Mike.....If there is enough of us then maybe LR will recognise the weakness and take positive action for a permanent fix. Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #203314 16th Oct 2013 11:55 am
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Thumbs Up

Mikes looking into it for me When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #203316 16th Oct 2013 12:06 pm
chrisdeeming

Colliers are now removing the differential I wonder what they will find! When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #203337 16th Oct 2013 4:15 pm
chrisdeeming

They are looking into it, they assured me this is an isolated incident so don't panic! When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #203338 16th Oct 2013 4:17 pm
Donnus

Italy 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Laughing
isolated ?
there are more than 2 cases in Italy alone...

Post #203342 16th Oct 2013 4:27 pm
chrisdeeming

End of the day and still non the wiser at least I made it to my destination albeit on public transport Shocked When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #203353 16th Oct 2013 5:52 pm
chrisdeeming

Ok spoke to colliers today it needs a completely new diff and they apparently can't take it apart to find the cause :/ anyway they want £1300 to replace it even though it's been replaired twice in less than 2 years, 10k miles per repair @ £400 a time.

Always the same 'sorry sir it's not a catastrophic failure so we will repair it with land rovers quick fix bearing kit and the same the second time and now when it's a catastrophic failure resulting in what could of been a fatal accident everything goes quiet and no one really wants cough up.

If it had been repaired properly the first time we wouldn't been in this mess regarding safety.

I'm sorry to say if land rover don't cough up I will take this public. I am concerned for others also, and I would appreciate your support in this as it could of been you with your family in the car.

Kind regards

Chris When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #203491 17th Oct 2013 5:22 pm
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Hi Chris,

Could not agree more. For starters we need everyone on this forum who have had a rear diff. failure to 'register' their details with Mike@landrover, who is to be complimented on his involvement in this.

To claim the diff. cannot be dismantled is neither acceptable, reasonable or logical, what has been assembled can be disassembled at, I guess, a cost, which is I suggest is the problem.

We all need to know our cars are safe to drive and the reason these failures are occurring, action from LR is required now. Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #203497 17th Oct 2013 5:44 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

As you clearly have an on going problem that stinks mate

Think land rover need to buck there ideas with problems such as this, Its just not on at all

Post #203498 17th Oct 2013 5:47 pm
chrisdeeming

I would also like to say mike is doing everything he can to try and help me however it needs to go above him and to the big boys at the top who take our money and scuttle away into the fine print of warranties etc.. When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #203499 17th Oct 2013 5:58 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue
ATTENTION MODS

Can we merge these threads please, as there are two running in conjunction with much the same information in both.

TIA Thumbs Up Foraging near Gaydon....
——————————————
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #203501 17th Oct 2013 6:12 pm
Dave007

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Apparently its the bearings within the diff that are the source of the problem. So to "repair" these bearings would surely mean stripping the diff down to gain access?? (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Saying they cant disassemble it sounds bizarre. For you to have had to have the diff repaired every 10K is totally unacceptable for a car that commands such a high initial purchase investment - come to think of it, any car for that matter!!

Is it out of warranty? Presume it is seeing as they want over a grand to sort it out. Interesting now it presumably is out of warranty that it now cant have the repair done but requires the whole unit replacing, not that it should require this doing anyway.

Plenty of vids on youtube showing stripped down diffs BTW Whistle MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #203503 17th Oct 2013 6:18 pm
chrisdeeming

I don't think they care really once they have your money the dealers are reluctant to help you.

Yes it's out of warranty Dave hence the hassle lol When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #203506 17th Oct 2013 6:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>