« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Photography
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

realspeed wrote:
have you tried converting them to black and white before scrapping them? Think you may well be amazed how may can be "saved". Even really bad ones if "aged" can look good
2nded....

I have to say I've got more critical now a days.... when I started I used to fire off loads but now I can end up filling a card and have 4 or 5 I actually keep....

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #194830 13th Aug 2013 11:47 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

EYorkshire wrote:
I agree editing can improve a mediocre shot or one that looks a little flat, I could improve all mine Laughing
But you must agree that a photo in 'raw' is a prime candidate for editing, not my camera that only has JPEG as it's output.
Plus my 'point and shoot' can only manage 6mp so I haven't quite got the decent base photo to build upon. Sharpening my jpegs tend to make the edges 'blocky' and unreal, also adding unwanted artefacts.
My sunset one had slight editing, I took it in sunset mode but it came out 'unreal', over the top sky colour and no detail in the foreground. I toned it down and gave the foreground some detail but there's a limit to what you can do with a base camera that takes OK'ish photos.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ --------for new cameras
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/---------- for used cameras

Ok you have out grown your existing camera, it happens, so where or what to do next? Above I have put 2 links which may help. Don't dismiss used cameras too quickly, if they have a low shutter count consider them as the manufactures usually recon they are good for 150,000 clicks anyway.

Remember a good second hand camera would offer more features than a new lower priced bottom of range one. Ok yes I know what you would say "but I don't want all those features" and you would be partially correct. However getting a bottom of range make could leave you in the same position a bit later on wishing you had a better camera to be able to do more with. I didn't listen to myself and took the new lower priced camera starting off with the Nikon D70s-D200-D300 and now D800 loosing money on the first 2 upgrades. I still love my D300 which is well worth considering and most of the pictures I have put up were taken with it.

for example

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equi...on-d300-1/

Look at the shutter count under 4500 what a bargain, if I had not got one I would snap it up, you would have to pay the same for a new camera which would in my opinion be absolutely stupid as it won't have all the features.

Can't afford it? can you afford to upgrade again in a couple of years?

In my opinion it is the best Nikon have produced that is not a full frame camera ( no movie feature stills only). Mine D300 cost me £1100 in March 2009 new to give some idea and i still have the receipt to prove it Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #194839 14th Aug 2013 7:55 am
taztastic

England 

+1 for MPB photographic, most of my kit is from there, look regularly as they have a high turnover and there are bargains to be had.
This is the same body as mine and has a very low shutter count, the 40D is highly regarded as having a very good sensor, yes it's 'only' 10mp but you get stunning pictures, I have a 6ft square aerial view in the local library on permanent display of the town taken from a helicopter, people look and find their own houses, you don't need massive megapixels.
The reason the 40D sensor is good is down to the pixel density, the more pixels on a chip the more heat your generate and image quality will suffer, the 40D has an excellent balance and I am more than happy with the results.
More modern cameras are now fitted with fancy sensors that also try to fill the gaps between pixels to increase resolution, is it reallly needed at our level? costs a fortune for something you may not benefit from.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equi...eos-40d-7/

Post #194843 14th Aug 2013 9:08 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

stop linking to bargain cameras, i'm trying to buy some surround sound speakers and your distracting me Twisted Evil

Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #194845 14th Aug 2013 9:34 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

i have a very good surround speaker you can have, its the wife Rolling with laughter will also throw in free a frying pan she uses. Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #194847 14th Aug 2013 10:11 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

realspeed wrote:
EYorkshire

Often that "wow " factor is achieved in editing not from the original photo

Indeed it is. I only shoot RAW and use Nikon Capture NX2 to edit the shot. It's a breeze to use but not as creative as Photoshop. Mostly I just use the 'Auto' feature which takes the info from the camera sensor then sharpen a little.
Just a few minutes per shot and well worth it.
I've tried JPEG straight out of the camera, not satisfied with them and doesn't get near processing using computer software.

I think shooting RAW then post processing is the way to get the best out of your equipment no matter how many pixels. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #194903 14th Aug 2013 6:16 pm
atlas

Romania 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

A very good place to buy or sell used photographic equipment:

http://www.keh.com

Post #194919 14th Aug 2013 8:20 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

We are in the UK so shopping there is out of the question Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #194932 14th Aug 2013 9:30 pm
Nairbr

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

I took these at Vintage MotoX event with EOS 7D and a Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #195326 17th Aug 2013 7:03 am
taztastic

England 

This is going into a competition on Monday night at our local camera club, It was made by dripping oil (citronella lamp oil) onto a hot soldering iron and firing the flash. I have coloured the two halves and I think it looks like a couple dancing? The original is much higher resolution and without the watermark.

Post #195337 17th Aug 2013 9:15 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

It looks like a couple dancing now I read it

Red, guy with ginger Mick Hutnall hair, leaning in to give blue lady with long flowing locks a kiss, been held at the waist

Great photo, Thumbs Up Bow down Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #195339 17th Aug 2013 9:28 am
taztastic

England 
Water games today

Messing about with an 'app' called trigger trap, this was caught by using two flashguns triggered by sound, the balloon bursting, while the camera was set on a 10 second exposure, the garage was in darkness, just a tiny amount of light for me to be able to see the balloon which was popped using a pin on the end of a broom handle.
Surprisingly, after setting up this was the only shot I took, pretty good first attempt, might have another play later.

Post #195470 18th Aug 2013 2:28 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Having caught up with this thread I'm amazed at the shots some of you are getting. Some very talented freelander owners!!

Having researched the back end out of what camera to buy, I'm settled on the Panasonic Lumix TZ35 which I hope will give me the shots I want whilst being compact and 'handy' and suiting my needs. Next job is to settle on some editing software and small tripod.

I did spend some time browsing through MPB Photographic and seriously considered a Panasonic GF3 setup but I think high zoom compact is 'me'.

Hopefully I'll get some shots worthy of posting in here!! 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #198550 8th Sep 2013 11:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345