Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Photography
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

here is a link to a set i have made from the wildlife park, just snapping away like a tourist mainly, so there are some truly dreadful photos

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHt7u9v Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #194779 13th Aug 2013 1:10 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

The general problem is the mesh enclosure or dirty viewing glass, so how does one get over this? in the above pictures gives a good idea of what I did in the following but not completed the editing side to show how to get rid of mesh problems

Like everything there is a trick to it. I know CWP very well and the small barriers in front of the enclosures. First there is the way of stepping over the barrier and get right up to the mesh, then get chucked out of the park. Not a good idea.

There is an alternative which does require a longer lens so you can zoom in and focus on the animals making the mesh so far out of focus it doesn't really show in a picture(as above). Should you be able to get right up to the mesh don't rest the lens against it as it could damage your gear, use a finger resting against the edge of the lens/hood and use that as a stop guide against mesh/glass.

That should get rid of most mesh problems but if still there then i resort to the editing attack in adobe elements . After editing with cropping etc at photo can be made a little better. Ok the colours are different and a little darker, but the point is getting rid of mesh problems and how to go about it. From here very easy to lighten and get colours back to original but just havn't bothered

Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Last edited by realspeed on 13th Aug 2013 6:16 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #194797 13th Aug 2013 5:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Good advice, Thumbs Up thanks Smile Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #194798 13th Aug 2013 6:02 pm
taztastic

England 

Quote:
Realspeed said:
AS regards camera make don't just rely on what others say, the most important thing is is the camera comfortable in your hand with main controls easy to get at and use, nothing worse than see a good photo opportunity and missing it because your fumbling about finding the best setting.

Thats very sensible advice, I choose Canon, because of the above, it's fits my hands and I find the controls intuative, others prefer Nikon for the same reason, there are even other makes available Shocked Toeknee choose a Panasonic and gets great images with it, get yourself down to your local shop and try the cameras, if they wont oblige walk out.

Great thread and keep the pics, hints and tips coming, with a camera you never stop learning Thumbs Up

Post #194799 13th Aug 2013 6:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Very true, you never stop learning Thumbs Up and a bit of luck added too Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #194800 13th Aug 2013 6:15 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

I have found with photography the more you learn the more there is to learn.

For example apart from cameras and lenses you start to get into flashguns and their settings let alone the mine field of different tripods and tripod heads and not forgetting mono pods, not to mention remote cable shutter release, I have recently found a great wireless one. Then there is the subject of filters,( you need a degree course to understand what each one does to a shot). then we move onto studio work, not my field, but this is where lighting is critical and how to set it up.

Once swallowed that we come on to editing, Something I try and do a minimum of, far better to get it right in camera first and not rely on editing to get you out of the dirty sticky stuff.
If like me you start getting your head around it all everything changes with fast moving electronics and you have to start nearly all over again.

I often wonder if the simple point/shoot/compact is the way to go? Don't you just love photography

A typical example of a once only chance of getting it right, no retake ever (not edited i don't think) tree surgeon said it was rotten in parts and getting dangerous

Mods hard at work for us

Click image to enlarge

And when a problem arises

Click image to enlarge
 Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #194801 13th Aug 2013 6:32 pm
EYorkshire

realspeed wrote:

I often wonder if the simple point/shoot/compact is the way to go? Don't you just love photography

No, I have a simple/cheapish camera and while the photos are acceptable to look at they will never give a 'WOW' factor like 'Peglegs' duck photo, so vibrant Thumbs Up and 'toeknee's' photo of his dog, I can't freeze the action that quick Thumbs Up not to mention 'Taz's' freeze action birds. At least Nicks ladybird was nailed down Laughing
I will probably remain a 'point and shoot' man because I'm not dedicated enough to take the time to improve, but the photos of mine serve as memories and that's my interest really. But I know a good photo when I see one and there are some beauties in this thread Thumbs Up

Three of my recent ones,
This one I focused on the large flowers on the right and panned left, but it doesn't seem to work, my fault Sad

Click image to enlarge

This one is my fault, I focused on the flower whereas the wasp should have had some focus Sad

Click image to enlarge

This one I was pleased with but the camera found it difficult with the exposure, point and shoot limitation.
There's a halo between dark and light.

Click image to enlarge

Post #194802 13th Aug 2013 6:43 pm
j77

Scotland 

Thanks to all for the input Thumbs Up

I'm off Thursday and Friday so will do some shopping around, and once I sell my alloys I will take the plunge.

This is one of my favourites at the moment. He was a bit p Censored d at having his photo taken so many times Laughing

Click image to enlarge
 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #194804 13th Aug 2013 7:20 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

EYorkshire

Often that "wow " factor is achieved in editing not from the original photo Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #194805 13th Aug 2013 7:31 pm
taztastic

England 

That is very true, I enjoy the editing side
this is before and after

Click image to enlarge

Post #194807 13th Aug 2013 7:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I hate the editing as I need to learn how to get more out

Lots of my photos have been taken then I look at it and think I could do this or that as the subjects a bit of a character but I have lost count how many I think it look awful and binned the edit Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #194810 13th Aug 2013 8:19 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

have you tried converting them to black and white before scrapping them? Think you may well be amazed how may can be "saved". Even really bad ones if "aged" can look good Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #194811 13th Aug 2013 8:27 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Some smashing photos on here. Bow down I don't know much about photography, usually just take pictures with my phone. Embarassed

Post #194812 13th Aug 2013 8:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Some have set out to become black and white, I think it more me and not been happy with the outcome Sad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #194815 13th Aug 2013 8:57 pm
EYorkshire

I agree editing can improve a mediocre shot or one that looks a little flat, I could improve all mine Laughing
But you must agree that a photo in 'raw' is a prime candidate for editing, not my camera that only has JPEG as it's output.
Plus my 'point and shoot' can only manage 6mp so I haven't quite got the decent base photo to build upon. Sharpening my jpegs tend to make the edges 'blocky' and unreal, also adding unwanted artefacts.
My sunset one had slight editing, I took it in sunset mode but it came out 'unreal', over the top sky colour and no detail in the foreground. I toned it down and gave the foreground some detail but there's a limit to what you can do with a base camera that takes OK'ish photos.

Post #194827 13th Aug 2013 10:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>