Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Kayak on the roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

If your talking about the plastic screw that needs to be removed to fit the roof rails - then it does not prise out, it is a true screw, is threaded and must be screwed out. It is also sealed with some really tough bonding.0 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #172624 21st Feb 2013 11:49 pm
Sandlover2

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hello Andy, thanks for the reply.

You may well be right about the plugs being screws. I will have a look at them again and see if the will wind out. They have very thin flat heads, about half a mm thick, and I cannot see how they would have been screwed into position in the first place. They certainly look like tap - ins to me.
I have looked at a couple of uTube videos, where people have after - fitted roof rails, and these make me wonder if the roof rail screw fixings system has altered by model year. For example, one contributor made a great deal of mastic sealing. Apparently if mastic was not used water could get in to the head lining and creep across to short out the rear roof light.
I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine that Land Rover would have four open holes in the roof that simply relied on a mastic sealing, but perhaps the earlier Freelanders were like that. I have no idea.
My 2011 car seems to have blind (meaning the roof is not punctured) indentations in the roof panel each with a small track that would allow forward and rearward position adjustment of the trapped nut. No sign of any mastic.

Once I get this matter cracked I will post pictures to show the kayak loading system... if it all works. The greater span that a rear frame will allow would be handy for transporting any longer load, such as a B&Q door for example.

Watch this space, it's a work in progress.

Post #172643 22nd Feb 2013 10:49 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

This is a picture of the screw that needs to be removed so that the roof rails can be installed

The large screw is metal, the smaller plug is just a push in. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #173059 25th Feb 2013 1:23 pm
EYorkshire

Just to add to Andy's photo, this may throw a little more light on it and the part No's if you need them, I would imagine the 'tap in' plugs that tap in to the bolt may well have sealant holding it.

There are 5 bolts on each side and the two rear ones have plugs.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #173065 25th Feb 2013 1:58 pm
Sandlover2

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Andy and EYorkshire, many thanks for your replies which must have taken a fair amount of effort to put together. I am truly grateful to you both.
The picture that you show Andy would appear to be the front screw(s) HT1 from the diagram supplied. The plugs that I am dealing with are the plugs identified as (Call out)HM1 on the diagram and that have the part number LR001651 with 4 required .
On these HM1 plugs there doesn't seem to be any mastic by the way.

The Salesman with whom I dealt when I bought my Freelander had many years in the company workshop before moving into sales. I spoke with him a couple of days ago and he confirmed that the technique that he used when removing the plugs was to nip the top together with pliers and then carefully fidget the plug out of the hole. This is terminal for the plug and so it is very useful to have the correct part number EYorkshire.

Later in the week it will be warmer and I will re-attack the plugs. In the meantime I wil have to learn how to post pictures on this website in order that you might see the finished result.

Many thanks yet again chaps.

Post #173101 25th Feb 2013 4:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12