« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New boots required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
New boots required

Yes I know tyres have been done to death but just once more, swmbos FL2 is coming up for some new tyres running hankook at the moment and they have lasted app 25k mostly road.

So my choices this time are either Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme or the new GG A/T

Wintrac have had really good reports about in bad weather etc but not that good off road also not sure wear rate.

GG A/t again new tyre good off road but not too sure in snow or rain etc also some of the guys on the D3 site are saying as the tyre wears down a bit the road noise is more apparent again not too sure.

Your thoughts please ladies and gents

Post #160245 7th Nov 2012 11:11 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

On my second set of AT now, very good tyre. Got 29000 (I think) out of the last set. Very good on the road, especially in the wet, displace the water very well because of the tread pattern. Also brilliant in the mud and snow. No extra road noise IMHO, corners well too. Loads better than origanl wranglers

Post #160250 8th Nov 2012 12:10 am
lespes

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Had gg ats on D4

Good off road snow etc.

Wear rate not as good as AT2 which would do 40-45000 reckon around 30k on AT

I experienced more noise as they wore not great but makes a drubbing noise some have mistaken it for diff problems, swapping front to rear seems to reduce problem when if it occurs. A year

Looking into some for mine and at present and will probably go for Pirelli atr, though more expensive have a longer life and a much stiffer side wall than GG, the only downside being more expensive than winter or GG tyres.

more likely to come across a muddy wet grass situation than snow or ice in the course of a year

Post #160251 8th Nov 2012 12:22 am
ebygum32

@lespes

I run ATRs on my D3 and after 10k I am still not sure about them, they are down to 6mm but seam to loose pressure quickly couple of lb per week each tyre also in the wet I am cautious cornering as did loose it going round a 90 degree bend at low speed in the wet it just slid sideways and only doing 5-10 mph, I bought them as they came up at the right price, it was a toss up between these and the new GG a/t but as I said these came up first at the right price.

So that's two for the GG anyone running the wintracs and anyone know of decent prices for both in the Leeds area

Post #160254 8th Nov 2012 1:32 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

They both have there pluses, I love them both, just put the wife's car on Wintracs and she has noticed it's better in the cold wet mornings.

I am on General. Thumbs Up

Maybe I could be a little biased but I want what I feel is best for us both. Thumbs Up

Nothing wrong with the ATR either, sounds like you may have a valve or bead leak. Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #160260 8th Nov 2012 7:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jack frost

United Kingdom 
Re: New boots required

ebygum32 wrote:
Yes I know tyres have been done to death but just once more, swmbos FL2 is coming up for some new tyres running hankook at the moment and they have lasted app 25k mostly road.

So my choices this time are either Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme or the new GG A/T

Wintrac have had really good reports about in bad weather etc but not that good off road also not sure wear rate.

GG A/t again new tyre good off road but not too sure in snow or rain etc also some of the guys on the D3 site are saying as the tyre wears down a bit the road noise is more apparent again not too sure.

Your thoughts please ladies and gents

What are your thoughts on the Hankook's you have on now ? Why not fit them again 25k is very good milage for a £120 tyre.

Post #160266 8th Nov 2012 9:43 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Hankook RA23 are a nice All Season tyre, always have them in stock. Andy.
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #160267 8th Nov 2012 9:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ebygum32

Put the hankooks on as they came up at the right time and right price did run them before on my Mazda bongo camper van and again thousands of miles covered really good wear and was impressed with them but this time I fancy a change and these were the two that I have seen mentioned a lot, we run Pirelli zeros on the D4s at work and I find them very poor wearing but then again we do do blue light response driving in them usually last about 5-6k if that.

On my D3 I did have some Goodyear AW but found they wear quickly 12k mostly motorway driving

Post #160286 8th Nov 2012 12:28 pm
2freel2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Just had Michelin Latitude cross fitted yesterday at Costco. They are doing their 20% off deal for four tyres. Came in at 120 each fitted. These are on 17" alloys.

Got 37000miles out of my latitude tour HP and they still had 3 mm on them. Changed for a more aggressive tread pattern in case we have a bad winter.

Only done 200 miles on new tyres but no noisier than either Tour Hp or Goodyear Wranglers.

Post #160303 8th Nov 2012 2:19 pm
LRswe

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I have been loyal to the AT2 , but honestly.. they are rubbish as a road orientated winter tyre, unless you are in deep slush.. the width of a tyre maks a massive difference as well for road saftey, I never use wider than 235, anything wider and you risk sitting on top of the snow offroad and just polishing it up..

I have been looking at a new tyre this year, this one...

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Sport-Utili...R-WSC.aspx

it has large enough gaps between the blocks to handle mud, and has "jaggy" edges in the trenches to pick up snow for extra grip in the deep stuff. It has really well defined 14mm deep channels that will evacuate water and slush and standing water from underneath the tyre, and holes for spikes... It has a solid middle band that will improve some fuel efficiency.. and as opposed to being a stop/start in a straight line tyre, this one has the sipes and channels set up for better security going around a corner.

plus, they cost less than a hundred and fifty quid each here. Not offroad specific, but it wont kill you like an AT or MS tyre potentially can in ice... I mentioned it in another thread that my defender was in a field on more than one occassion with the AT2, fortunately they can just be driven back out with no damage... Although it would give you an excuse to get a facelift front end if it all goes wrong : )

Post #160312 8th Nov 2012 4:09 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

The Cooper is a nice looking tyre but can only see 18" compatable for F2. Andy.
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #160316 8th Nov 2012 5:05 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

People seem to give a good report on Michelins. As mine won't be long now I will be looking and whilst price has to be considered such things as comfort, quietness and of course grip are more important to me. Any suggestions then? Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #160336 8th Nov 2012 6:40 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Get some prices on Avon Ranger Ice. Superb performance in winter Thumbs Up

http://www.avontyres.com/node/3224 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #160350 8th Nov 2012 7:25 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

hi

i have just put on Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme only did 100miles so far, a down side is they throw the cow sh:t eveywhere Rolling with laughter 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #160356 8th Nov 2012 7:47 pm
LRswe

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

yeah you are right andy : (

I will hopefully find something more fun for the 17s in the summer : )

Post #160407 9th Nov 2012 12:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1