Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Retro fit TOMTOM
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 24 <123 ... 141516 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I have the Audio Connection Module in my FL, so in the short term I'll power the Tomtom from the USB connection in the glovebox.

Ultimately I'm going to wire in a 12v - 5v USB module from a spare fuse box fuse and power the Tomtom from that. This will give me three USB's in all - one original from the ACM which will provide power to / audio from my iPhone, and two others from the new module providing just power. Item # eBay Item No. 121254091441 on eBay.

Post #214745 24th Jan 2014 4:40 pm
le bouch

It's in! Now a couple of questions..

It's in Smile

All working well, currently powered from the Audio Connectivity Module VPLFE0002. The clever little '12v to USB' that I bought was dead on arrival, which was a pain and took a while to discover. I intended to use that to power the Tomtom, keeping the VPLFE0002 USB for my iPhone.

A couple of questions for those folks using the Tomtom Start 60..

1) every time I start the Tomtom I get an annoying message asking if I will share information. Can I get rid of this?
2) I also keep getting a message at startup advising me how to connect to a computer. Likewise, can I get rid?

I also have an issue with the VPLFE0002 if I connect my Iphone 5s, which I'll make subject of a separate post.

Thanks to Taz and the many others who have participated in this thread.

Post #214830 25th Jan 2014 4:46 pm
Luggs

Wales 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

You can get rid of the sharing message within the settings...somewhere. I found it the other day and was able to finally get rid of the startup annoyance, so there is hope!

I don't get the message about connecting a computer, I am making a wild guess here, but is that something being detected on the USB lead you are using?

Luggs Never tell me the odds.

Post #214837 25th Jan 2014 6:00 pm
le bouch

Good news re that 'sharing' splash screen - thanks!

I think you're right re the USB connection. There's deffo something shonky about the ACM's USB input. I haven't been able to get my Iphone 5s to play nicely at all with the USB connector - it powers it (sort of) ok but won't play music from it.

However.. If I connect the ACM's hard-wired iPod (30 pin) connector to an Apple 30 pin to Lightning adaptor and THEN plug the iPhone 5s in... It works perfectly. Hmmm.

Post #214838 25th Jan 2014 6:11 pm
taztastic

England 

I have seen the share message before, not sure, but is there a small tick box?
Failing that there must be an option with a tick box somewhere, the TT interface can be confusing at times and you feel like you're going round in circles, once it's all set though, it's a great piece of kit.
Never seen the computer messages though, have you disabled "show tips at startup" that's certainly a possibility

Post #214839 25th Jan 2014 6:11 pm
le bouch

Show Tips at Startup.... Is that an option on the Tomtom itself or using the PC software? That sounds like a likely candidate. Back outside to the car again!

Post #214841 25th Jan 2014 6:16 pm
taztastic

England 

Not sure, it's cold as heck here, and windy, let us know what you find Laughing

Post #214842 25th Jan 2014 6:18 pm
kitchener

I too have the TT connected to the USB of the IPod module .I was getting the same connect to computer message .
I think because the module can recognise mp3 files on a USB stick , data is being exchanged between the module interface and the TT. The Usb connection does not recognise data from an apple lead

I got round this by putting an additional male to female modified lead from the module to the TT lead . I carefully sliced open the lead and cut the wires responsible for transferring data. It is only the red and white wires needed for power .

No more message

Post #214902 26th Jan 2014 2:20 pm
le bouch

That's really useful to know - thanks.

The ACM manual states that if you connect something to the iPod input AND something to the USB input, the iPod takes precedence. Have you ever used both at the same time? Do you happen to know if the USB at least still provides power when you use the iPod input as well?
If so, I wouldn't have to install my planned 12v-USB thingie. I could power the Tomtom from the USB (with your clever suggestion of the modified lead - thanks!) and still have my iPhone 5s plugged into the iPod lead (with an Apple 30 pin - Lightning adaptor) to provide music.

Also, have you ever tried plugging an iPhone into the USB socket with the iPod lead disconnected from the ACM's 'hidden' sub-module? I wondered if doing so would let the iPhone play nicely with the ACM, with no need then for the 30 pin - Lightning adaptor..

My car is frustratingly away for the day so I can't try the above myself.

Oh, and the 'share info' splash screen can be nixed by an option in Settings / Advanced Settings on the Tomtom.

Post #214907 26th Jan 2014 3:15 pm
kitchener

Yes ,power to TT is not affected by iPhone being connected to module .

Post #214912 26th Jan 2014 3:37 pm
le bouch

Brilliant

That's great. Just got to get the car home and try it out again. In the meantime, time to butcher a USB lead..

Post #214920 26th Jan 2014 3:46 pm
techauthorbob

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Narvik Black

Tomtom splash screens can be changed easily, done it for a friend last year.
You could even re-create the Landrover screen!

Post #216171 7th Feb 2014 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
taztastic

England 

Click image to enlarge
Thumbs Up

Post #216172 7th Feb 2014 8:48 pm
le bouch

Now with TMC Traffic updates!

Just an update to my Tomtom installation.

I wanted to add traffic info with one of their TMC-RDS traffic receivers. Details of what's inside are here (not my video)

I picked one up for £15 on eBay.

Obviously we can't get to our Tomtom's USB port easily so ideally you need to run an extension to the glovebox - then you can unplug the TMC when necessary to connect your laptop.

This is generally where the trouble starts. Historically extension USB cables have never worked with the TMC - they get power to the TT but it won't recognise the TMC 'downstream'. However, after reading a thread on the TT forum,

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-10...ight/false

I ordered a £1 OTG COMPLIANT female-male micro-USB extension from aliexpress. It came from China within 10 days. OTG USB cables have an extra pin connected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

This setup works great - the short extension runs to the glovebox - I have the TMC plugged in for daily use and then just unplug it when I want to update the TT.

As a nice bonus, the above video explains what's inside the cigarette plug on the TMC - I'll be chopping that off later and replacing it with a male USB plug so I can connect it to the USB socket I already have installed. The antenna part of the TMC cable is spread out behind the dash.

Free, lifetime traffic updates, all out of sight and mind.

Post #219012 9th Mar 2014 12:14 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Apologies for reviving this thread, but does anyone have photos of the fuse setup and the lighter socket in the glove box? I can't tell if it is just hanging free or if it is mounted somewhere within the glove box.

Also when connecting the earth to one of the bolts (and this is a mega newbie question), will loosening said bolt and essentially not tightening it back up to the exact same position cause any sort of issue over time? Sorry of that's a really daft question. I haven't seen inside my car yet so don't know what tue innards look like.

Thanks.

Post #232751 25th Aug 2014 9:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 24 <123 ... 141516 ... 222324>