Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Mirrors don’t fold unless unlock pressed? NOW FIXED!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gusmagoo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Mirrors don’t fold unless unlock pressed? NOW FIXED!

Bit of a strange one here.
The mirrors on my HSE are programmed to fold when the car is locked, which I gather is the preset factory setting. However, I have immediately noticed that sometimes they simply don’t fold, whereupon I unlock and lock them again to make them fold in. (only had car 2 days)
I have deduced that if I only lock by pressing momentarily, they DON’T fold, and if I lock by pressing for about 1 second they then fold…?
I appreciate the windows go up or down if you hold on to the button for about 3 seconds, and to double lock you press again, but should my mirrors fold all the time when locking? even momentarily pressing the fob button? If so there’s definitely a fault… Question 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )
My Aviation website - UKHelicopterPilot.com Cool

Last edited by gusmagoo on 21st Oct 2011 11:43 am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #110753 21st Aug 2011 9:12 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Just nipped outside and tried mine
Makes no difference how i pressed the lock button on the fob, the mirrors folded every time. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #110755 21st Aug 2011 9:44 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Hi, gusmagoo.

Welcome to the forum and Freel2 ownership. You'll find loads of useful stuff on here (and plenty of completely random p**s taking).

My 2008 HSE mirrors fold every time I press the lock button, no matter how briefly I press it.

It could be that the runners / guides for the mirrors are drying out and are creating resistance for the folding motors.
Before taking it back to the dealer you bought it from, try this;

First unfold the mirrors (unlock car) then push on the outer edge of the mirror housing, pushing towards the front of the car. It may take a firm push. The mirror should 'click' and swing free (it sounds as if you have broken something but don't worry). Move the mirror housing back and forth a few times (the grease on the runners becomes dry) this will spread the grease again. Pull the mirror housing back to its normal driving position and try repeating the lock / unlock procedure again. If this has worked, repeat on the other mirror.

Freelander 2 folding mirrors are known to dry out the mirror grease (try searching this forum for 'powerfold mirrors'). Some have used 'WD40' or similar to good effect. Silicone spray or spray grease is better, though.

Hope this helps, Thumbs Up Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #110756 21st Aug 2011 9:52 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I Had a similar problem over the last month. Mine started by juddering on the way in and out, I lubed them well and shortly after they both started to sometimes fold in sometimes not. Usually just after the second press on the keyfob to activate the deadlocking, one of them wouldn't make it all the way in and on the very odd occasion both of them would try to fold in but never make it!
Mentioned it to the service tech when it was booked in for other things and he told me later that as well as giving them a good greasing he had to loosen them off on the spindle a little, as they had been tightened up too much.
Not had a problem since and they seem to be better than ever now, the drivers side was always a little slower to fold than the passenger side, but now they are pretty even. Thumbs Up

Post #110757 21st Aug 2011 9:59 pm
gusmagoo

Thanks for the tips, (and the welcome!) I have already read about those issues having waited 3 weeks to get the car (long story, don’t ask) however I’ve found 2 other (very old) threads with exactly the same problem…
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1229.html?highlight=door+mirrors
and
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1169.html?highlight=door+mirrors
(just realised its the same guy so just 1 person with the same issue, quite a while ago though!) Confused
When they do fold they are smooth and quiet.
I will PM this guy about his and see if he sussed it…
Similar aged vehicle so I suspect a factory fault. 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #110763 21st Aug 2011 11:14 pm
gusmagoo

I’ve been experimenting… With the mirrors…
They will only fold now if I quickly press unlock, then immediately press lock…
They still fold manually via buttons…
I’ve booked in at a local dealers (near Preston) next week to check it out but I’m now thinking it might be wisdom to leave it as it is…
I don’t really need to fold them in 24/7 and this might save a lot of wear on the mechanism… although you do have to lock / unlock more so you could argue that your locking parts are wearing more! I’m wondering if this has actually been set to happen rather than it being a glitch?
All will be revealed next Wednesday… 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #111143 25th Aug 2011 5:39 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

You've got a point when you say about the parrts lasting longer.
The only thing is that if you forget to fold the mirrors, you'll be bringing to the attention of would be thieves that your car may be unlocked. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #111151 25th Aug 2011 7:10 pm
gusmagoo

Pegleg wrote:
You've got a point when you say about the parrts lasting longer.
The only thing is that if you forget to fold the mirrors, you'll be bringing to the attention of would be thieves that your car may be unlocked.

I appreciate what you’re saying and have heard a few people on here saying the same but really? Do all the thieves out there know which cars mirrors auto fold and which don’t? Besides it is possible to have it switched off at the dealers. And even if they do approach your car thinking it’s unlocked, and the doors are locked, if they try them they’ll be disappointed... If they’re going to smash a window they’ll do that anyway... so to be honest, I'm not that fussed about it... I think it's more the fact that it's doing something it shouldn't, unless it's been set like that, as an option, and I just don't know that (yet) I will be quizzing the techies at the dealers next Wednesday... Thumbs Up 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #111163 25th Aug 2011 7:59 pm
gusmagoo

2 and a half hours sat at the dealers to no avail. They couldn't fix it. Mirrors only fold after unlock pressed quickly first, and no amount of fiddling on the diagnostic machine would sort it. Advised to go back to the selling dealer to quizz and ask them to investigate (different group...) 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #111739 31st Aug 2011 10:13 pm
gusmagoo

Ok, had the car in to dealers that car was purchased from for its free MOT and asked them to investigate mirror folding issue. At first they denied any fault until I demonstrated it happening. (They will fold if you quickly unlock then lock, all day)
We then ran out of time so I’m travelling the hour back there again next week to let them have another go.
I suspect a reset will be their first attempt, then I will be suggesting a change of ECU…Nothing shows on the diagnostic which they seem to rely on to tell them what’s wrong. This seems to stop them in their tracks. I will throw my suggestions in the air when I go and report back here in due course. They are at least prepared to have a go… 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #116178 8th Oct 2011 2:42 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi gusmagoo nice to see you picked a nice GREY freelander to many black ones about allready Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter rainy-city
xs

Post #116182 8th Oct 2011 3:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gusmagoo

I had a choice of 2 black or 2 grey all with varying spec but having owned a black 911 for a year I decided I didn’t want to be cleaning this one every time I went out in it!
Grey is so much easier to look after and looks fab too. +1 for grey. Thumbs Up 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #116194 8th Oct 2011 4:40 pm
ChrisSoutham

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Out of interest, have you got it to open all doors on unlock or just the driver's side?

Post #116344 10th Oct 2011 11:02 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Just a thought, but it could be an electrical fault with the fob switch and not the mirrors themselfs Question
Does the same happen with both key fobs Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #116351 10th Oct 2011 11:57 am
gusmagoo

ChrisSoutham wrote:
Out of interest, have you got it to open all doors on unlock or just the driver's side?

I’m not too sure what you’re asking here Chris, when I’ve driven the car, stopped, alighted the vehicle, (passengers got out too, so effectively all doors unlocked) I then lock the car and the mirrors DON’T fold in. If you then unlock, and lock (putting the system through another unnecessary cycle of unlocking and locking) they happily fold in.

Ah hold on, Just re read your question and understand what you’re asking now!

It’s set to just unlock the driver’s side on first action. If you want the other doors unlocked you have to press it again. (but the mirrors fold out on first unlock press, if they’ve been in!)

Have you got any suggestions?

And to Andy, it happens with both fobs but thanks for the suggestion Thumbs Up

Also I have changed the subject line to reflect the exact issue! 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #116362 10th Oct 2011 12:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>