Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Terrain Response System/HDC Faulty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Well it's such a lovely day that I thought I would spend it under the Freelander getting to the bottom of my problem.

The fuse FB6 only blows when the "active on-demand coupling oil pump" is connected. The fuse does not blow when the control module is connected by itself, so it looks as though the pump has burned itself out. £210 plus VAT from Britpart but replacing it looks to be a real hassle taking off the exhaust, then the drive pinion flange which needs a special tool to brace the flange ( i could maybe jury-rig something). Certain nuts and bolts have to be replaced and then the fluid has to topped up in a mysterious way (I lost the plot by then). This would all be much simpler if the pump was not tucked behind the flange and could just be removed undoing the two allen screw securing it. All in all, probably best paying to have it replaced. Big Cry I am starting to go off my Freelander 2 rapidly.

Any experts out there agree that it is likely to be a burnt out pump? - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #137499 24th Mar 2012 1:44 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Its possible the pump could have a short circuit but it may pay to call an auto electrician out to test it for you if your planning on changing it yourself., that way you could save a lot of money in purchasing some thing you may not need Thumbs Up

Post #137511 24th Mar 2012 4:07 pm
freedieselauto

Yes, You are right, I could spend a lot of time and money and it could be something else. I will be seeking advice from an auto-electrician. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.

Post #137601 25th Mar 2012 12:34 pm
freedieselauto

I finally had time to get this fixed as I have stopped working. Some call it retirement, but I am only 55 going on 56 so I prefer being "of independent means". I have been planning it for years, so it feels very natural and I have lots to do. Mrs Freedieselauto has also stopped working and now has more time to shop. Big Cry Fortunately, I had forecast this in my spreadsheet but only time will tell if I have under, or over, estimated her capacity to spend (no prizes for the right answer).

Anyway, back to the point. I despaired of Harwoods at Edenbridge, Kent with their recommendation to replace cabling without even checking electrical continuity. I sent my diagnosis to my local friendly independent, DAS at Horley, Surrey who agreed with my view that it was the "active on-demand coupling oil pump" on the rear diff' as it was shorting to earth via both connectors and when it was disconnected fuse FB6 did not blow.

The pump was replaced today and the TRS, HDC, DSC etc. are all working again and it feels like a new car. Very Happy DAS charge £50 an hour labour, which is about half that of Harwoods. The new pump was £217 so with VAT it totaled a very reasonable £380. I really appreciated Bob at DAS taking time to help: He was genuinely interested in getting it sorted. It's good to speak directly to the engineer who knows what you are talking about. That's what you get from 30 years experience on Land Rovers Bow down I would recommend them. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.

Post #140101 18th Apr 2012 5:43 pm
alex_pescaru

Speaking of failed Haldex electrical pumps...
Courtesy of our russian friends, here's the damage of a Haldex pump and the damage inflicted to its ECU.
Probably because of the water and corrosion that found their way inside the pump...

Click image to enlarge

Post #140124 18th Apr 2012 7:35 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Great pics Alex

freedieselauto
Glad your all fixed. Congratulation on your retirement.
After 2 years at home I was finally running out of jobs around the house and missing work pals so just started a new part time job 20 hrs a week & have to say really enjoying it in Technical support . Sad to say enjoying so much I feel like suggesting I move up to 4 days a week.How bad is that ! never thought i would miss work so much.

Post #140204 19th Apr 2012 12:29 pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My Freely has, 'Transmission fault' with no Terra Resp/HDC. Reduced trac etc. off to dealers, so reckon it's the pump to look at? 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #145796 15th Jun 2012 5:40 pm
sunnywales

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Sumatra Black

I have exactly the same problem with mine. Initially started last year, took it to the dealer who couldn't find a fault and did a system reset. Same problem with transmission error message started again yesterday. probably just a faulty sensor but i'd be interested to hear what your dealer makes of it.Will book mine in next week if it continues

Post #146221 19th Jun 2012 10:41 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

sunnywales wrote:
I have exactly the same problem with mine. Initially started last year, took it to the dealer who couldn't find a fault and did a system reset. Same problem with transmission error message started again yesterday. probably just a faulty sensor but i'd be interested to hear what your dealer makes of it.Will book mine in next week if it continues

Mine is in Harwoods Tonbridge - they diagnosed, very quickly, a faulty diff component, cannot remember exactly what they sad, will find out soon.
think it was some sensor.... 

Post #146226 20th Jun 2012 7:10 am
spigy1

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey
Same fult

Mine is back in garage , only had it 4 weeks when the terrain response fault appeared that on top of the heavy clutch fault !... Got a feeling owning a landrover will mean Regular trips to garage , thank good or warranty !

Post #148677 15th Jul 2012 9:14 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Diamond turned garbage.

My Freelander 2 has been the best car I have ever owned. 55000 miles on the clock, beautifully built and very capable in all road conditions and most off road. Thats the good bit. Sadly my HDC and Special Programmes have now gone snafu. Wasted half a day for Harwoods at Edenbridge to charge me £109 to tell me that it needs an ABS Modulator thingy which will cost nearly £700 plus several hours to fit and they did not have one in stock anyway. So the cost of repairing the electric toys will be about 10% of the total car's value! Big Cry
I have barely used the HDC and Special Programmes so they can hardly be worn out. I just wish they would leave out all this electronic garbage - I would buy a new one tomorrow if it could come with a low enough First gear to be fit for off road use and if they left off as much of the electronic rubbish as possible. I see that Landrover are trying to tempt me with the latest "improvements" to the Freelander 2 which amount to "Exciting new colours", an electric handbrake and "diamond turned wheels"! What harmful substances must Landrover's design team be taking to think that I might want my wheels diamond turned? - whatever that entails. Oh and it comes today with "Stop Start technology" - is that not just added electronic junk which will be vastly expensive to fix?
Please Mr Landrover, does anyone in your entire organisation have any plans for the company other than to make every model more complex, more fragile and more expensive?

Robin

Post #163178 4th Dec 2012 4:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

We feel your pain Robin but to be fair to LR and other car makers, a lot of the electronic gizmos fitted to new cars are driven by the need to meet emission targets set by the EU. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #163180 4th Dec 2012 4:41 pm
Tradewind 35

Ta John, yes methinks you don't loose too many sleepless nights yourself wondering about how sharp the diamonds were that turned the wheels on your Series 1.
May try an independednt to see if they can better the service charge for repairing my electronic garbage.
Cheers,
Robin

Post #163187 4th Dec 2012 5:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 
Re: Diamond turned garbage.

Tradewind 35 wrote:
.......... - I would buy a new one tomorrow if it could come with a low enough First gear to be fit for off road use and if they left off as much of the electronic rubbish as possible......

Robin

Buy an auto - no need to worry about burning the clutch out off road, just let the torque converter slip and give you the low down control that you need. It really doesn't need a lower first gear even scrabbling across rocks, and it's much nicer (more relaxed) to drive on tarmac. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #163291 5th Dec 2012 7:50 am
Tradewind 35

Hi Andy, orange works for me, even though my beastie is true Baltic Blue. I agree that the auto is better for off road due to the lack of a low ratio box. I don't fancy the auto mpg figures however - I am very pleased with economy on the Freelander - no matter how I drive it I get 37.9 mpg - great! My Honda Jazz only does 47 and it is a wee powder puff compared to the Landy.
Have booked Landy in to an independent known to users of this forum so will ship em enough loot to get her shipshape again - will report progress.
Robin

Post #163301 5th Dec 2012 10:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>