« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2.2 hse Chip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
npikey

United Kingdom 
2.2 hse Chip

Well we've gone and put a deposit on a facelift 2.2hse 150bhp, in black with black leather Wink , Can any one recommend either a plugin superchip/ bluefin ? or remap available in Lincolnshire, it seems there's so many to choose from and price ranges as well,

Cheers Nick

Post #130866 6th Feb 2012 4:34 pm
Annie

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

Sounds nice Nick. Where are you buying it from?
Smile 59 TD4e XS in galway green

Post #130868 6th Feb 2012 4:38 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Diesel chip is your best bet as its in warranty they all work the same ie: £80 chip and a £400 chip, If you don't mind possibly voiding your warranty a remap would be good but expensive. Basically a chip just holds the injectors open for longer causing premature wear but its still ok imo. However 150hp is quite alot you'll probably find its more than adequate unless you plan on racing boy racer audi's or bmw's..

Post #130872 6th Feb 2012 5:25 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'd drive it for a while to see if you really need it, my guess is you won't as you don't need to go fast Thumbs Up

Post #130873 6th Feb 2012 5:33 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Absolutely no point in "chipping" the freelander, it has plenty of power and after all it is a 4x4 not a racing car .Don't forget if its a brand new car the engine will be tight anway. Mine is just begining to ease at 12,000
miles

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #130874 6th Feb 2012 5:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

There is a few on here that run ecu remaps and say the car is a much better drive, that way by changing the way the car delivers power is far better than a plug in 'chip' that fools the engine

I laugh when I read comments on racing boy racers as remapping a car may give you X bhp or Y torque but that also relates to pulling power through the gears. It can also improve mpg though they say you tend to stay around the same Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #130886 6th Feb 2012 7:07 pm
npikey

United Kingdom 

Getting it from Duckworths Wink

Its 12 months old with 4500 miles auto, only considering a chip as i drive a ffrr s/c Wink and am expecting it to feel a little under powered compared to what im used to, having said that its my wifes car so she'll be doing most of the driving Rolling Eyes (she'll do about 6k in it and i'll probably do 10k tho) , but after a 4.7v8 jeep she might have the same thoughts, Very Happy

Yeah im not a fan of fooling the engine by upping the rail preasure, much prefere the ecu remap route, but im not in any rush to do anything to it just looking forward to getting it Cool

Post #130930 6th Feb 2012 10:10 pm
Spuddie

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Try these, I had a Stage 2 on a TD5 a couple of years ago, which worked well for me.

http://www.jeengineering.co.uk/index.php

http://portal.jeengineering.co.uk/engines/diesel-tunes.html

Not cheap but good.

Post #131002 7th Feb 2012 12:41 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chrisdeeming wrote:
Diesel chip is your best bet as its in warranty they all work the same ie: £80 chip and a £400 chip, If you don't mind possibly voiding your warranty a remap would be good but expensive. Basically a chip just holds the injectors open for longer causing premature wear but its still ok imo. However 150hp is quite alot you'll probably find its more than adequate unless you plan on racing boy racer audi's or bmw's..

What an absolote load of bull. Lets get the facts right here.

A) You can't 'chip' modern cars
B) A decent Re-map is always the best way to go.

The 'chip' as you describe it is actually a plug in tuning box, which works by fooling the ECU into thinking that the right fuel pressure has not been reached and makes the ECU call for more fuel.

This is how these box's work. There is also a massive difference between an £80 box and a £400 box. The cheap ones are very crude and are basically a box full of resistors.

Decent box's from the likes of www.dieseltuninguk.co.uk are all digital systems that actually have a program installed depending on what car it is going on.

Superchips bluefin is one of the best re-maps on the market. Easy to swap and change between modified and standard.

Re-maps change fuel pressure, injector timing, and turbo boost. It is en enhancment of the standard map.

Re-mapping the new 150bhp TD4 will have zero effect on any engine components as it is mechanically identical to the 190bhp SD4. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #131339 10th Feb 2012 7:55 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I don't think there is a programme inside a £400 box Rolling Eyes If you find the "facts" post them back Smile

I think the multi channel bits are exactly the same on all tuning boxes and you just flick the switch on or off

need to see inside both really..

Post #131342 10th Feb 2012 8:15 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

save ya money there is plenty of grunt in the 150 bhp freelander good low down grunt and dosent hang around when asked to give power think you will find that you may not need to chip plus it may void yr warranty Thumbs Up Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #131344 10th Feb 2012 8:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

You really think the plug in under the bonnet chip is the same as a ecu remap Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #131345 10th Feb 2012 8:29 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

would it leave a trace of the mapping config in the ecm Question so if the dealer ran an engine con fig would it show that the engine had been running different than what was set at the factory, rainy-city
xs

Post #131346 10th Feb 2012 8:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npikey

United Kingdom 

The way I understand it, if you have a remap or Bluefin then when in for a service and the dealer has a software update it can over write the bluefin or remap, but dont quote me, I only know that cos a pals got a focus rs and removes the tuning software before services ??? sso the way forward is bluefin Wink

Post #131365 10th Feb 2012 10:34 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chrisdeeming wrote:
I don't think there is a programme inside a £400 box Rolling Eyes If you find the "facts" post them back Smile

I think the multi channel bits are exactly the same on all tuning boxes and you just flick the switch on or off

need to see inside both really..

One big fact for you. A good friend of mine OWNS diesel tuning UK. Modern digital box's have different programmes to the older generation box.

I have just received a box back for my father in laws Range Rover Sport, this was previously on his 3.0 Diesel E Class Mercedes, and we had to send it back to be re-programmed for the Ranger Rover.

You will have to take my work for it that I know what I am talking about on this subject. A decent Re-map is always the best way to go, after this a digital tuning box is second option. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #131374 10th Feb 2012 11:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>