« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2.2 hse Chip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

bigalf1961 wrote:
would it leave a trace of the mapping config in the ecm Question so if the dealer ran an engine con fig would it show that the engine had been running different than what was set at the factory,

The ECU does not log each time the ECU is flashed.

When you map your car with a decent tuner, IE Superchips, the original ECU programme is read from the car. This is then modified. You would be suprised at how little is changed.

This modified file is then re-installed into the cars ECU. So the programme file is still the same issue number but modified. So when the original file is put back in the ECU, it is impossible to see any trace of the modified version. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #131375 10th Feb 2012 11:40 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I suppose there could be a programme inside I just don't see how something that fits between the fuel rail sensor and the fuel rail be anything different to a standard tuning box. Is there anywhere that explains the digital programme ?

Post #131392 11th Feb 2012 9:48 am
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

I would have to agree that any box, be it analogue or digital, can only have the same effect when plugged into the fuel rail. Like a posh digital volume control on your Bang & Olufsen stereo, it simply turns up the volume Laughing and an analogue version will sound exactly the same as a digital, achieving the same result by a slightly different method.
These 'fuel rail' tuning boxes all do the same job - simply fooling the ecu into thinking it needs more fuel and although it is a rather crude method compared to a full remap, an analogue or digital box will have a similar effect - more fuel and the easiest way to achieve extra power on a diesel engine.
There are 'proper' tuning boxes like 'eManage Gold' which actually run in parallel with the ecu and change ignition (petrol obviously) and injector curves among other things. They are really designed to compensate for wild cams, bigger air filters etc but are about the same cost as a remap on a dyno. In short, get a box if you want easy power on a budget, but get a remap if you want a slightly better power curve if you can afford it. Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #131403 11th Feb 2012 11:14 am
Zajcol

Poland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey

The question is: is it posiible to remap a MY11 FR2 without ripping the ECU? Aren't these a EDC17 controlled units? If so - there is for now no way to do it through a diagnostic cable. You would have to take the ECU out of the car, which will leave obvious signs, so the warranty would be voided...

Post #135035 7th Mar 2012 1:36 pm
treetops

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Interesting thread.

Pre Freelander, I ran a BMW 520d, which after a lot of research on various power upping options, I had a re-map.

BHP up from 177 to 212, Torque from 350 to 425. Torque was what I was most interested in, due to towing.

Done by Simon from E-Maps. Took about an hour, using a laptop in the OBD. Highly recommended, look at his website.

Never had a problem with dealer detection.

Back to reality, I tend to agree with other comments, and have found the FL to have plenty of poke. Why buy a brick, and try to make it into a javelin?

If you want to up power be v. careful of plug ins, I remember reading some horror stories' Caravanners get hooked

Post #136115 14th Mar 2012 11:56 am
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 2nd Jan 2013 8:22 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #136130 14th Mar 2012 4:24 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

dunroof wrote:
If its so important, just buy another car that meets your expectations. FL2 of whatever variety will never be a sports car and nor they should be.

got to agree, drove the Mrs's autobox '09 on wednesday, in real life it cruised down the M62 at an indicated 90mph delivering 32 mpg, and just to please the lad I used the Sport mode and command shift on the A and B roads and we had no problem overtaking anything we wanted to and stayed well within the dynamics of the chassis, if you want to blow people away from the lights in town stick it in sand mode and use command shift, you will be surprised 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #136462 16th Mar 2012 6:08 pm
Mav71

I didn't re-map mine to make it go like a sports car, I did it as it just makes the car so much more pleasurable to drive. Less effort, more torque.

Land Rover must have agreed as they launched the 190ps SD4, which is pretty much identical to the power and torque of my car, although mine has a little more torque. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #143198 16th May 2012 7:06 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Bluefin does not have a remap for the 150bhp engine available at the moment. I received an e mail from them last week informing me that they are currently working on the remap and would e mail when available. Very Happy

Post #143221 16th May 2012 9:35 pm
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
Re-map

I have a friend who has remapped his auto Freelander, mainly to give extra torque for towing. I think the company is Celtic tuning, or something like that. My pal is away just now, so i can't ask him. Anyway, they are in Cornwall somewhere. He has a thing like a gameboy to plug in the diagnostic socket, and you can load or unload the remap or standard version, as you like, just by a few button presses.

Post #145819 15th Jun 2012 9:25 pm
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Might as well chip in here (Smile)

I had a Bluefin unit lying about the house from doing my wife's Mini One 5 years ago. The Mini was transformed for the better by the change and when we traded it in I decided to get the handset reprogrammed for my Freelander 2 (2008 GS).

As soon as you move off the drive you feel the extra grunt, it's noticeably faster in every gear, overtaking the pesky campervans and caravans (I work in the west highlands, it's not fun this time of year!) is much easier and safer. Fuel consumption has gone from 38mpg to 43mpg according to the on board computer.

So far I've done about 4000 miles since the change and no problems to relate.

Post #145867 16th Jun 2012 10:43 am
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Why do so many people assume you want to go 'faster'? It is about driveability with a vehicle like a freelander. I have not remapped my freelander but have done other vehicles and the difference can be night and day!

Not having to change down a gear on the hill or when entering and exiting a roundabout, safer overtaking, better towing ability etc. sometimes improved economy or smoother power delivery as well. if the freelander had the option of a bigger or more poweful engine some people may choose that, but we are stuck with one engine choice in 2 states of tune and I fully understand why people want to remap. And its not the traffic lights grand prix either.

If only the clutch on the manual was not made from a hob nobb biscuit.... Smile (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #145895 16th Jun 2012 12:53 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mav71 seems switched on on this...although my slight difference in opinion is that Bluefin isn't the way to go. Go to a professional custom mapper, JE is one of them, and they remap each car individually. Bluefins are just plugged into Superships' computer and downloaded with a standard map. Your engine may have certain characteristics an 'identical' car might not and a custom mapper can work with these and get more out of an individual engine, with more care.

Stay away from the tuning boxes.

I personally don't think your Mrs will be left 'wanting' after a 4.7 V8 Jeep engine...it's not a very good engine!

Finally, a remap, even with a Bluefin style handset, does leave a record. Modern ECU's record the last time they were 'flashed', or uploaded with a new program, even if you reverted to the standard map. VW servicing equipment automatically cross checks this with VW's database on the car, and if the date doesn't match up when the car is plugged in, VW HQ are informed and it's kept on file! This is something that has happened in the last week to a friend and confirmed by my VW dealer. On the flip side, I have never actually heard of any warranty work being turned down because of a map by a reputable mapper, including faulty injectors and turbo's Very Happy Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #145925 16th Jun 2012 3:07 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

"Why do so many people assume you want to go 'faster'? It is about driveability with a vehicle like a freelander"

flylr, I am in total agreement with you. Very Happy Very Happy

Post #145984 17th Jun 2012 12:13 am
Mav71

Pre-face lift Freelander 2 ECU's do not have the facility to log a down load. Facelift cars will and the latest edition of Freelander due at the end of the year will also log specific parameters being stretch over the standard, ie fuel pressure and boost etc.

I agree with Big Dave about the re-map being the best way to go, the blue fin though is not just a generic map installed in your car. They actually modify the same file that is extracted from each car. This is then put back in the ECU.

The only way to ensure you get the absolute best re-map is to live map it on the rolling road, and not many tuners will do this as it can take several hours.

But as we are talking just stage 1 re-maps, there is very little changed in the map itself and most reputable tuners wil give similar, reliable results. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #146310 20th Jun 2012 10:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>