« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Constant DPF Full problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Arrjo

Estonia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Constant DPF Full problem

Hi everyone, I just bought a 2007 FL2 this december and I have had a constant DPF Full problem with it.
Just yesterday I was driving at rush hour in the city and the DPF FULL sign popped up on my dashboard.
Since I was stuck in traffic I couldn't give it high revs to clean the filter. And after 10 minutes of driving in the city traffic the car decided to engage REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE. I got onto a highway as soon as possible and with the reduced engine performance I managed to clean the DPF filter but the damned Reduced Engine Performance still stays on and I found out that it's only possible to reset it at the dealers and the only available time they could fit me in is next week Sad

So here's my question to you all:

How often do you need to clean your DPF Filter? I need to do it approximately every 4-5 days if i'm doing city driving.

And is there a way to reset the Reduced Engine Performance by myself? If i'd buy the Superchip Bluefin then would the possibility to remap the car make it possible to clear the reduced engine performance as well?

Thanks! 2007 FL2 TD4 Tambora Flame

Post #128243 20th Jan 2012 3:28 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi there is an infomation leaflet avalable through l/rover dealers telling you how to maintain the dpf filter most of my mileage is city work but at week ends i give it a rumn onthe motorway,

the leaflet says that if the amber dpf light comes on you must drive the vehicle for approx 20/30 mins with the revs over 2.000 if this does not clear the light do one more time,

if the red dpf light comes on car must be taken to the dealer for there attention,

all as i do is once a week take it for a short run on the motorway and blast it out with the engine reving over 3,000rpm and i also use a high quality fuel like bp ultima or shell equivelent you can also buy through the internet under dpf cleaner hope this helps Thumbs Up
stewart rainy-city
xs

Post #128249 20th Jan 2012 4:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Arrjo

Hi Bigalf,
Thanks for the reply.
If your car has the DPF Full sign come on, then how long can you normally drive it before the car cuts its power and the Reduced Engine Performance sign comes on?
I can drive my car for approximately 10 minutes with the DPF Full sign and then after that i lose the power and I need to go to the dealers to reset it.

It seems absurd that Land Rover makes a car that basically goes into limping mode just when the DPF filter becomes full.
People are supposed to be able to cross continents with these cars but it can't even manage regular city driving without the need to see the dealer every week.
Very disappointing this thing... 2007 FL2 TD4 Tambora Flame

Post #128255 20th Jan 2012 4:09 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

handy if you live near a motorway, but failing that you would need to drive around in second gear at over 3000rpm for about half an hour each week Laughing

doesn't seem very eco friendly ?

Iain

Post #128256 20th Jan 2012 4:11 pm
EYorkshire

Landrover are not the only manufacturer with a DPF problem, this legislation was forced on manufacturers and a poorly designed piece of equipment was produced called the DPF.
Active regeneration should take place between 500 and a 1000 miles in NORMAL driving, this is something that happens automatically without your knowledge, city driving will be sooner but not as frequent as you are saying. Your dealer should not reset without forcibly cleaning the DPF if you have got to this state, once it is forcibly regenerated it will be up to you to change your driving habits or change your car for a petrol driven one.

Diesels with DPF's are not happy to run in an urban environment continuously.

Post #128258 20th Jan 2012 4:44 pm
Arrjo

Hi,

I had my DPF cleaned at the dealer about 5 weeks ago. Since then I've had the DPF Full sign come on three times, two of which I managed to regenerate without the loss of power, but now the third time it became full in a traffic jam and I couldn't drive constantly with over 2500 rpm and now my car is with reduced power.

Could it be that since my car is now 5 years old then its DPF Filter needs to be replaced because it hasn't regenerated itself properly in the past years and now is so clogged up that I should replace it?

Has anyone removed their DPF altogether? 2007 FL2 TD4 Tambora Flame

Post #128260 20th Jan 2012 4:50 pm
EYorkshire

We cannot remove our DPF units in this country with upcoming MOT laws and emmissions, that's not to say it cannot be done.
There is a possibility that your DPF full sensor is faulty and there is a dealer software update for continuing DPF problems. It may pay to ask Thumbs Up

Post #128262 20th Jan 2012 4:54 pm
Arrjo

Thanks for the reply!
Since i'm not in your country then I just might give it a shot Wink
Although I guess the EU regulations are also quite strict when it comes to removing a DPF from the car... Rolling Eyes 2007 FL2 TD4 Tambora Flame

Post #128263 20th Jan 2012 4:58 pm
EYorkshire

Funnily enough it was only in 2010-2011 that the DPF became the norm in this country, before that it was only for some exports.
If you go down the route of bypassing it, there are some decent sites on the net but it does involve tampering with the ECU software. Hope you get it sorted. Thumbs Up

Post #128267 20th Jan 2012 5:04 pm
alex_pescaru

Re: Constant DPF Full problem

Arrjo wrote:
the DPF FULL sign popped up

What sign are you talking about?
Are you sure your MY2007 has a DPF?
Because a DPF was introduced for MY2008 and later cars, with VIN after 7H028505.
Please take a look at the picture below and tell us which sign you are talking about...
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11383/icsym.jpg

Post #128284 20th Jan 2012 7:00 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

arjjo, here tempting fait mine has only come on once and it only went to amber it was an amber engine warning light followed by the message reduced engine power car would not go over 40mph, recovery was called car still under warranty mechanic said code 214 was enterd in computer he cleard fault code and car was ok took to dealer the next day dealer said dpf faulty sensor and was replaced with a software up grade as well has not had any further problems since the only thing that i can say to you is if you go down the removal route you will have to have the ecu re mapped i wish you look my friend pls let us know how you go on Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #128304 20th Jan 2012 8:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Constant DPF Full problem

alex_pescaru wrote:
Arrjo wrote:
the DPF FULL sign popped up

What sign are you talking about?
Are you sure your MY2007 has a DPF?
Because a DPF was introduced for MY2008 and later cars, with VIN after 7H028505.
Please take a look at the picture below and tell us which sign you are talking about...
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11383/icsym.jpg

Alex - My Norwegian FL2 was manufactured in July 2007 and has a DPF.

Arrjo - Had the same problems as you explained during its third year. Just before it ran out of warrenty the dealers replaced the whole DPF system including the sensor which does cause some problems on its own I have heard.
This last year (touch wood) no more DPF problems. The DPF problems have been discussed on here earlier and some of these may be caused/partly caused by the wrong motor oil that LR have incorrectly recomended for DPF models. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #128323 20th Jan 2012 9:06 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

With the BMW 530d I had before the Freelander the forum advice was to drive the car normally for a while to get the engine fully warmed up, stop and engage neutral, run the engine to 2,500 revs and turn off the ignition at those revs. This supposedly cleared the dpf without the need for any high-speed running. I did this myself regularly and never had any problems, although most of my regular mileage was in shortish (around 25 miles) runs at low revs since I was in the local (then) Cheshire countryside.

Anyone know if this would work on the Freelanders? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #128334 20th Jan 2012 9:26 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

rjc1944 wrote:
run the engine to 2,500 revs and turn off the ignition at those revs.

This action is an absolute no no for any engine with a turbo! Surely we all know to let the engine idle before shutting down, thus allowing the turbo slow down or it will suffer from oil starvation if still running with the engine stopped. (turbos run at 40,000+ revs and need the oil!) 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #128344 20th Jan 2012 11:28 pm
taztastic

England 

As per Dunkley, switching off the ignition at speed is a turbo killer, strange advice indeed?

Post #128345 20th Jan 2012 11:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>