Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Constant DPF Full problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
MikeM46

United Kingdom 

yes, the comment about quality of oil is valid. Dpf fitted vehicles must have low ash engine oil & preferably a longlife full synthetic version. I don't have a dpf, but was disappointed (bit shocked actually) to see that LR use a semi-synthetic oil on an 09-10 build.

Arrjo ... what oil are you running on?

Post #128351 21st Jan 2012 4:09 am
Arrjo

Estonia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Alex - the sign that popped up is the "DPF FULL" sign on the information screen.
I am certain that my MY2007 car has DPF, it is from Germany and the Freelander 2 had DPF in Germany in 2007.

MikeM46 - My car is currently running on Castrol Magnatech Professional A1 5W-30

For how long can you guys drive with the DPF Full sign on before the car goes into "Reduced Engine Performance" mode? 2007 FL2 TD4 Tambora Flame

Post #128488 21st Jan 2012 11:45 pm
EYorkshire

I believe the oil recommendation now is Castrol Edge Professional C1 5W-30 for DPF cars

Post #128520 22nd Jan 2012 11:27 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Arrjo wrote:
My car is currently running on Castrol Magnatech Professional A1 5W-30

For how long can you guys drive with the DPF Full sign on before the car goes into "Reduced Engine Performance" mode?

Try using a low ash oil that is specifically recommended for vehicles with DPF, the one you are using is not. My new LR service station last filled with Castrol Edge Professional C3 0W-30. The C3 indicates an oil type specific for DPF.
My previous LR dealer/Volvo service station filled with Castrol Magnatec Professional B4 5W-40 & earlier Castrol SLX Longtec Volvo 0W-30 prior to my DPF problems which may or may not be a coincidence.

The Reduced Engine Performance can come on in addition to the "DPF Full" or "DPF Full Visit Dealer" warnings at any time. It seemed to me that I got the reduced performance at the same time as the visit dealer warning and not just the DPF full warning. A visit to the dealer, DPF cleaned, and a softwear reset didnt fix the problem which returned after several days - thats when the whole system was exchanged. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #128522 22nd Jan 2012 11:38 am
EYorkshire

It seems Dealers have different opinions Andy, this is a 'snip' from a LR update late last year, C1 is low ash and C3 is mid ash content.

Post #128526 22nd Jan 2012 11:58 am
AndyC

EY - Thanks for pointing that out, I have seen that earlier but the LR dealers/service stations here have not been officialy informed and the C1 oil type was not available at our service station. In fact the Castrol oil recommended on the Castrol Norway web site states Magnatec 5W-30 A1/A5 for FL2 DPF vehicles Shocked . At least the C-spec. oil would seem to suit DPF vehicles whether C1 or C3 I guess.

I also believe that different countries have different oil recommendations, although it does seem very frustrating to meet a brick wall when I ask about oil spec here, the answer is just - We only use the best Castrol synthetic oil recommended for your car Rolling Eyes and they dont seem to know/give a Censored what spec it is as long as they make a good profit when selling it. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #128533 22nd Jan 2012 1:06 pm
EYorkshire

I know Andy, trying to get a believable answer from a dealer is not possible and I can quite believe when I go for my 1st service next week, if they still have loads of the 'old spec' left in the corner they will use it which would mean mine will run another year on it. Confused But I'll be watching Cool
I just wish they would all sing from the same hymn sheet. Mad

Post #128536 22nd Jan 2012 1:17 pm
MikeM46

United Kingdom 

EYorkshire thanks for the snip from the update! ... are you able to provide a link to this for us?

Would like to wave it under my dealers "nose" if they claim not to know! Obviously, must be attributable to LR

Post #128544 22nd Jan 2012 2:07 pm
EYorkshire

I can supply a link from Alex's gallery which shows it as a LR official document. https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...amp;pos=20

Thanks to Alex Thumbs Up

Post #128546 22nd Jan 2012 2:18 pm
MikeM46

United Kingdom 

Thanks to both ... have taken a printout.

One other thought ... this is specifically about Castrol oils, Matfords in Exeter use Esso oils & as already mentioned a semi-synthetic version to boot for my 2010 TD4e. Perhaps I need to follow Shell/Castrol choices up as well.

Post #128562 22nd Jan 2012 3:50 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

With the car requiring (I think) 6 litres of oil, just make sure the servicing dealer doesn't charge at the unit price of about £16.50/l.

I noticed that when Stratstones price matched my last service, the Castrol SLX (superseded by Edge) was the item discounted to about £8/unit to make the numbers right.

Tenet MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #128568 22nd Jan 2012 4:03 pm
AndyC

Where as I don't dispute the authenticity of Alex's Land Rover Document, I wonder if it could be country orientated, i.e. for Alex's county. Question

I would ask firstly - has anybody tried to check to see what Castrol says Land Rover approve for the FL2 with DPF in your country Question I mention your country as it seems there are contradictory information depending what country you are in - for example the UK Castrol site recommends a different oil type than the Norwegian Castrol site.

Secondly, has anyone tried to check exactly what oil specification Land Rover recommend/approve for FL2 with DPF in your country Question I have tried to confirm Alex's document here in Norway and the dealers denied all knowledge of it and I was refused a reply from Land Rover UK who sent my letter to the Norwegian importers & who wrote me a very snotty reply stating that what was written in my (2007) handbook was correct Shocked . 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #128576 22nd Jan 2012 4:37 pm
EYorkshire

I went on the Castrol site and the recommended was Castrol Magnatech 5W-30 A1, and this was for 2008 year Confused They have no recommendation for MY11 DPF in fact when it asked for my registration it didn't recognize it.
So I can only go by the last LR update. Neutral Something that should be so simple is so hard Confused

Post #128582 22nd Jan 2012 4:58 pm
alex_pescaru

AndyC wrote:
I have tried to confirm Alex's document here in Norway and the dealers denied all knowledge of it

That SSM50837 is on Topix and can be seen by anyone... I don't know why they deny it...

Post #128649 22nd Jan 2012 7:21 pm
AndyC

alex_pescaru wrote:
AndyC wrote:
I have tried to confirm Alex's document here in Norway and the dealers denied all knowledge of it

That SSM50837 is on Topix and can be seen by anyone... I don't know why they deny it...

Maybe they dont want to know as it may mean they have to market another oil type Question I showed them the print out and I got the impression they didnt realy want to know about it either Rolling Eyes - who knows, but rather irritating for us owners and not a very proffesional attitude. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #128775 23rd Jan 2012 5:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>