Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Had my paypal account hacked!! Joy.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shiftin_up

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black
Had my paypal account hacked!! Joy.

Well not a great start to 2012! Checked my online banking today and was very suprised to find it lacking in funds! When I looked into this I saw someone had made a large transaction using my paypal account for a load of iPods in the states! Notified paypal and my bank immediately who have logged it with the Fraud Investigation Team to look into. If they decide it was Fraud then I will be refunded, just hoping they realise it is because if they decide not to give me my money back I dont know what my next step will have to be to recoup my money!

What a nightmare, hoping for a swift resolution!

Hope your 2012 has got off to a better start than mine guys Smile

Rick

(PS any suggestions/experiences welcomed) 2007 '57' Freelander 2 XS Sumatra Black TD4 Automatic - Standard (for now!)

Post #126579 7th Jan 2012 10:32 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear that. One person I know had a positive experience with them when he was defrauded. That said, read the terms and conditions of the PayPal agreement because I assume they would need to show justification for saying it isn't fraud. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #126582 7th Jan 2012 10:57 pm
trawlerman66

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Mauritius Blue

Sorry to hear of your bad start to 2012. I thought that I was having a difficult start to 2012 http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10875.html

Hope you get a satisfactory outcome MY13- TD4 XS Mauritius Blue, Privacy glass, Cold climate pack, Tailgate spoiler, Armrest pack, LED signature, Body side mouldings, Full size spare and finally Mudflaps

GONE - MY11 TD4 HSE LAGO GREY Privacy Glass

GONE- 08 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 07 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 04 Silver

Post #126585 7th Jan 2012 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Shiftin_up

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

sorry to see your car damaged Trawlerman, thats not great Sad Its been pretty windy down here but clearly nothing compared to what you have had up there! 2007 '57' Freelander 2 XS Sumatra Black TD4 Automatic - Standard (for now!)

Post #126592 7th Jan 2012 11:35 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Shiftin_up wrote:
sorry to see your car damaged Trawlerman, thats not great Sad Its been pretty windy down here but clearly nothing compared to what you have had up there!

Grim enough here to do this: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10886.html Big Cry

Back on topic though, I know people have been defrauded by means of bank card theft and withdrawals made from cashpoints and the banks refund the money promptly. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #126597 8th Jan 2012 12:05 am
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

I had a similar experience a few years back - luckily I was on line when the hacking started. Paypal & eBay (basically the same company) take this sort of thing very seriously and act quickly. In my case everything got sorted in a few days.
Top tip - change all of your passwords to stronger versions asap Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #126614 8th Jan 2012 10:13 am
Junior

England 

The Doctor wrote:

Back on topic though, I know people have been defrauded by means of bank card theft and withdrawals made from cashpoints and the banks refund the money promptly.

Not Santander, They adopt a guilty until proven inocent approach, if your card is used with the correct pin it was either you or someone on your behalf.
The money sections of the Mail on Sunday and Sunday times has loads of such stories, My Mum had her Abbey National account emptied (only £75 luckily) they sent her a letter basically saying it was an 'Inside Job' cos the correct pin was used even though she'd banked with them for 25 years, she's 64, and it was 300 miles from home-she asked them to send her a copy of the cctv from the cash point or report her to the Police, She never heard anymore about it or got her money back, she just moved her account elsewhere.

Post #126677 8th Jan 2012 7:18 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I suspect if someone had the will power to push that all the way through the courts, the bank would be defeated. No guarantees unfortunately and the costs if you lose would be high. If you win though, they pay the costs Very Happy LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #126680 8th Jan 2012 7:30 pm
Junior

England 

The Doctor wrote:
I suspect if someone had the will power to push that all the way through the courts, the bank would be defeated. No guarantees unfortunately and the costs if you lose would be high. If you win though, they pay the costs Very Happy

Maybe if it was more than £75 Whistle

Post #126681 8th Jan 2012 7:31 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Junior wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
I suspect if someone had the will power to push that all the way through the courts, the bank would be defeated. No guarantees unfortunately and the costs if you lose would be high. If you win though, they pay the costs Very Happy

Maybe if it was more than £75 Whistle

Well yes but it's the principle I was focusing on. I know of a case (different circumstances) where a woman bought a washing machine from Curry's and it went wrong after 18 months (6 months out of warranty). She told Currys they should replace it under Sale of Goods Act 1979. They virtually laughed in her face.

She started proceedings and they were like "We are a multi-million pound organisation with power and influence, you will lose and we will win." She took them all the way to court and won! What a comeuppance for Curry's! LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #126682 8th Jan 2012 7:35 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I had my card cloned on the internet once, £1,300 was withdrawn from my bank for online gambling, luckily my Bank clocked the dodgy transaction going through and subsequently put a block on the card and notifed me, the £1,300 was with-held for about 2 weeks whilst they carried out their own fraud investigation and then put it back into my account.

Banks are quite hot on internet fraud, last year I tried to order something at work but Ii couldnt remember my security code on the 'verified by visa' security check (where they ask you for say the 1st, 3rd and 6th letters of your security code). I had three attempts, failed and gave up. Two hours later I got a phone call from Barclays to say there had been an suspicious transaction on my account and had blocked my card, once i explained it was me and confirmed a few details of what website i was ordering off they promptly lifted the block.

Post #126687 8th Jan 2012 8:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1