« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > THE RANGE ROVER EVOQUE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
THE RANGE ROVER EVOQUE

So what do you all think of this, personally I can't think of anything worse! lol. It seems Land Rover are deviating from what they were designed for, especially creating 2WD vehicles, I cant see the point only to capture the posing market. (unfortunate). It also looks like it has been squished by my brothers series 3 at the rear Razz.

Post #125554 31st Dec 2011 7:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Was sceptical about them, but having had a good look at one, I'm tempted, but size is a liitle small

As for 2wd makes no difference apart from opening up another market and more money in the design coffers can't be a bad thing

Post #125556 31st Dec 2011 7:59 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Second hand disco 4 money, that is all!

Post #125557 31st Dec 2011 8:01 pm
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I think they are very stylish and will bring in lots of money for Landrover something a Defender doesn't, simple economics.
2WD drive version gives Landrover another market sector to sell in. 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #125560 31st Dec 2011 8:05 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had a look at one in Carr's showroom when we bought our Freelander. It's clear why LR are doing this, in that it will open the marque up to a whole range of folk who wouldn't be seen dead in a proper-shaped car! I wouldn't like one at all since the headroom is decidedly tight and it's not 4 wheel drive anyway.
In the motorcycle world an almost exact equivalent is the route BMW have taken in recent years. From being a manufacturer of good, brilliantly-made, wholesome, low tech, low revving simple touring bikes appealing to a very specific clientele, they have branched out into sports bikes and are making a great fist of it. Many of the "old-stagers" amongst their customer base were/are horrified at the change of direction but commercially it's been good for the firm. A changed image, yes, but a vastly widened appeal. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #125561 31st Dec 2011 8:09 pm
taztastic

England 

Many manufacturers have produced "niche" models, some flunked most prospered from their efforts.

The Evoque, for me, is such a model, it will succeed. I would certainly consider one, although I feel that more practically I would look at the new Freelander, if/when it appears or an RRS. Brilliant as the Disco is, it's not for me.

There is also a worldwide market driving design, no longer is the "British" market catered for as a high priority, emerging markets take precedence, they simply buy more, so the designs are predominantly for those markets.

Post #125565 31st Dec 2011 8:48 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

LRE drove a 4wd Ewok on the forest trails we did at Bala,and it did everything the Freelie did.... 2wd version has had good reviews off road as well. Too small for me but I look forward to the influence on the FR3 whenever it appears. Well done to LR for widening their market and the amazing sales they have achieved..... JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #125567 31st Dec 2011 9:04 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Best car I have driven in recent years and with a well equipped interior and all extras one should expect on a modern vehicle Thumbs Up .
Beats the Freely 2 in every way except boot space and ground clearance which is ample enough for most 4x4 owners. The 2WD version misses the point of owning a Land Rover as does a 2WD freely.

Not a car for those that like driving dinosaurs though Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #125571 31st Dec 2011 9:33 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I'm still not convinced, I suppose it's an aquired taste. The dc100 looks awful aswell imho. I cant really understand why they charge so much for the defender 90 anyway, I think if they made that more affordable from new they would have lots more sales commercially. Surely the design cant of changed that much in the past 10 years. I think they just charge what they think they can get away with lol.

Post #125580 31st Dec 2011 10:09 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: THE RANGE ROVER EVOQUE

chrisdeeming wrote:
So what do you all think of this, personally I can't think of anything worse! lol. It seems Land Rover are deviating from what they were designed for, especially creating 2WD vehicles, I cant see the point only to capture the posing market. (unfortunate). It also looks like it has been squished by my brothers series 3 at the rear Razz.

Keeping up & in this case outsmarting the competetors, branching into territory that they wouldn't have had sales from before as in the Premium small SUV - Why? Why not all the others have done it, take BMW for example you once aspired to own a sporting performance saloon simples! but they ar now as common & dull as a Toyota.

Landrover the brand can't & wouldn't survive on agricultural based vehicles today alone. People slated the Freelander when it first appeared for making Landrover a more posey vehicle, without the Freelander 1 LR would have most likely been history now!

I am not biased in my view of the Evoque even though I have one on order, just drive it & look at the spec before making an oppinion. I didn't go too much on it's looks at first but then I sat in one & drove it!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #125588 1st Jan 2012 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

chrisdeeming wrote:
I'm still not convinced, I suppose it's an aquired taste. The dc100 looks awful aswell imho. I cant really understand why they charge so much for the defender 90 anyway, I think if they made that more affordable from new they would have lots more sales commercially. Surely the design cant of changed that much in the past 10 years. I think they just charge what they think they can get away with lol.

I didn't like it to start...but it has grown on me and I'd quite like one...but I do worry about any crime it might attract being so sought after and likelihood of jealousy.

DC100 looks like the basis for a great range of new cars too. Defender is fine if you're a farmer but LR want a bigger market than that so it needs to change to make it less niche and more yes please.

Post #125606 1st Jan 2012 9:53 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

richardk wrote:

I didn't like it to start...but it has grown on me and I'd quite like one...but I do worry about any crime it might attract being so sought after and likelihood of jealousy.

I have to admit this thought has crossed my mind too....Perhaps I should get a new FL2? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #125663 1st Jan 2012 2:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

Yes, much better the 'ugly duckling', if it stays in the family. Thumbs Up

Post #125670 1st Jan 2012 3:01 pm
Annie

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

I thought that i liked the Evoque when i saw a photo on the internet but when i saw them in the showroom, i didnt like them at all.
It looks great from the ground up to the top of the doors and then, for me, it all goes wrong with the squished narrow windows. It looks like a poor man's version of a proper 4x4

I was saying to my husband yesterday that the Evoque looks the sort of car that a male Range Rover fan who had the big one would buy his wife to go shopping in Embarassed

I'm ducking now ready to have things thrown at me 59 TD4e XS in galway green

Post #125698 1st Jan 2012 5:04 pm
EYorkshire

I agree Annie, the 'Evoque' is a softie car in the same vein as a Qashqai. The FL2 may be the 'ugly duckling' of the family, but it's a proper car.

Post #125703 1st Jan 2012 5:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>