Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Aftermarket window tinting - any recommendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue
Aftermarket window tinting - any recommendations?

I am looking at having the windows tinted on my 2009 HSE and was hoping for some comments and advice based on experience of having this done as an aftermarket job. Thinking of it as both a security measure but also to keep the inside of the car cooler in summer whilst carrying our two dogs. I would be looking for a company in the Nottingham area.

Thanks in anticipation. 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #119389 6th Nov 2011 11:54 am
pb1008

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I had mine done about 3 months ago by a franchised operation called AutoAsylum.
The guy there talked through what might suit me best (I had mine done for the dog too) including the different types and shade of tint. He also showed me the different tints on some employees cars nearby. I would recommend going for the best film that you can afford and keep the dogs away from it for a couple of days until the film has completely cured.
I googled the local companies and then looked for customer reviews before making the decision. Really happy with the result, but it will never look as good as factory glass from the outside, but you can't tell from the inside.
Good Luck

Post #119399 6th Nov 2011 2:15 pm
EYorkshire

I have had mine done (60% I think to attempt a match with the darkened corner pillars), main reason for the dog and secondary for the anti-dazzle of headlights from cars behind me, especially with uprated lamps (me included).

I only had the rear and luggage sides done and thought it looked better than including the rear door windows, but that's my preference only. The only downside is the black raised points where ordinary glass fades to black, the film will not adhere readily although it doesn't look too out of place.

Post #119412 6th Nov 2011 2:46 pm
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Thinking of getting mine done too, have seen comments on here saying to go for a film without foil as this could interfere with radio reception as the antenna is in the side windows. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #119460 6th Nov 2011 11:56 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I had mine done at Pentagon tints - very good job, if a little more pricier than the average joe. (PS I'm in no way connected to them) but i would recommend them

I think mine were Carbon 18 which is the closest match to factory tinted glass. You need to metallic based tints as speedway says as it will effect your radio signal.

To get a proper job you need to make sure that door tops come off too

Good luck Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #119488 7th Nov 2011 12:44 pm
pb1008

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Speedway wrote:
Thinking of getting mine done too, have seen comments on here saying to go for a film without foil as this could interfere with radio reception as the antenna is in the side windows.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. FM aerial one side and Dab the other I think. This was brought to my attention by the fitter when I was getting a quote.

Post #119523 7th Nov 2011 6:12 pm
RegG

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have been loaned a 2011 FL2 Sport today by the dealer as mine is in for warranty work. This Sport has factory privacy glass which I am finding rather dark. Having said that, the interior is black and the car does not have sunroofs so maybe that has a bearing on things. As mine is an HSE with almond interior maybe it would not be too dark?......

Will have to find a tinting firm and see what they have to offer. 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:

Post #119558 7th Nov 2011 9:41 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Sorry for coming in late Reg but I had mine done for £220 in 2009 at:
Executive Tints
Unit 41, Imex Business Park,Shobnall Road
Burton on Trent.
They did a super job and it looks as good today as then. They recommended the level of tint and my car even with a black interior looks OK
Hope it helps, Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #119647 8th Nov 2011 3:55 pm
Annie

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

Any more pics of your car Ralph? Im thinking of tints too Smile

Post #120205 14th Nov 2011 9:52 am
Ralphk

Annie, i will get you some today and post tonight (hopefully) Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #120212 14th Nov 2011 11:45 am
Annie

Thanks Ralph. Ive just put a couple of pics of mine on. I'd like the very dark tints on the windows Smile

Post #120221 14th Nov 2011 2:17 pm
Ralphk

Annie,
I have put the photos on my gallery but because of the reflections I am not sure they show them in a good light.
In effect they are dark enough for people to not see inside the vehicle without a torch etc. but they do not make the inside too dark for people looking out from the inside. Ralph

Post #120262 14th Nov 2011 9:05 pm
Annie

Thanks for posting Ralph. I like that a lot. Just what i'm after Smile

It was only yesterday that i told my husband that i must start waiting for things rather than just going and buying but ooo they are nice. I wonder if i write to Santa?...............

Post #120303 15th Nov 2011 8:09 am
RegG

Ralph, thanks from me also for your replies and the photos. I'm still thinking about the tints but as I have only had the car for a few weeks I may have to wait a little longer (like Annie!) as persuading my other half tints would be cool (excuse the pun Laughing ) may take some doing!! 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:

Post #120323 15th Nov 2011 11:57 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi don,t bother with the aftermarket tints i had a picasso done a few yrs ago you could tell the differance when you looked through the film it was slightly blured Sad i would ask to see a vehicle that has been fitted with the window tints my fl2 was orderd with factory fitted privacy glass its totaly differant rainy-city
xs

Post #120349 15th Nov 2011 3:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>