Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2-Good Second Hand Buy??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Freelander 2-Good Second Hand Buy??

I wonder if any current Freelander 2 owners could give me their opinion on buying a 3 year old 40,000 miles ish freelander 2? Are they fairly reliable? What is the typical real world MPG for the diesels? What have people typically had to replace at around this mileage? I currently drive an Audi A4 Cabriolet and it has been a money pit (30000 miles and full Audi Service History yet still had 4 breakdowns in 9 months!!) so Im a little wary about buying a car I know nothing about. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Post #98881 15th Apr 2011 11:05 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Hi my 2007 plate FL2 was brought second hand with 27000 on the clock and to date it has been spot on ( touch wood) i get around 32 mpg and 475 miles per full take of fuel. You take a chance with any second hand car you buy no matter the make, my advice is get one with full service history and buy from a Land Rover dealer as you would get a years warrenty with it. I got mine for Guy Salmon at Sheffield and they were spot on. Hunters at Derby were S**T hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #98883 15th Apr 2011 11:50 pm
MudBug

Ireland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I'm very pleased with the reliability of my 2009 GS, manual.

Round trip to Belfast this week. just under 870 Kilometres and fuel cost was €70 at €1.43/litre.

On average I would say I get about 10Klm to the Euro. (Currently, 88p Sterling).

One thing I've learnt is that not every glitch is an expensive problem. The ones I've had either self correct or can be solved by reference to the handbook or the very knowledgeable members of this Forum. Thumbs Up

Mostly these have been electrical/software incidents and just going through the correct starting procedure will "re-boot" the system, for you.

Still makes my wallet jump when they happen, though...

Post #98886 16th Apr 2011 12:18 am
walsherz

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I was getting 30-31mpg driving to work and back which was a mixture of town driving and dual carriageway and 30 miles per day. Usually around 450 miles per tank. Since I went on an off road day my MPG has improved Confused , im now getting 38-40 mpg and have just emptied a tank (£91) after 560 miles which included about 60 miles towing 1400Kg's of weekend essentials behind me Whistle

As for reliability, no problems yet on a 57 plate TD4 with 38k in the 8 months ive had it.

Post #98919 16th Apr 2011 3:09 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I have had my 2007 XS manual for just over a year now and never get less than 35mpg day to day. Just got back from a trip to Cornwall and was getting just under 43mpg. As for reliability, I have had a few niggles. Tailgate switch was replaced, rear disk pads broke up, high brake light leaked, had the "transmission fault traction reduced" warning message which was fixed with new pump kit/sensor switch. The problems were a pain but didn't take anything away from what a great car this is. Thumbs Up

Post #98923 16th Apr 2011 3:31 pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

From what I read & have experienced FL2's are very reliable. Low 30's MPG on mu auto, more with the manual.

Buy wisely, if it looks tired it probably is...... 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #98959 16th Apr 2011 11:10 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Had my 07 GS manual for just a year now and 12000 miles. No problems except one flat battery no start. The GS manual was the same price as a base model auto, which I decided didn't have the features I wanted (mainly cruise control). I get 30mpg around town, and can hit 40 on a run if I'm careful. All I've had to buy were a proper matching spare wheel and three tyres.
The second hand prices at dealers seem to vary widely, with quite a price hike for the top models. I went to Marshals in Bedford because they had a couple of cars that were cheaper than other dealers, one of which I bought! I've had no problems but it IS a LandRover, so I decided to go for extended warranty just in case.

Post #98977 17th Apr 2011 1:17 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

All of above is what you need to know, although I never get more than 30mpg! Also consider buying xs, se or hse for better resale value and better spec! (heated front screen is a must as scraping ice is very third world now)

Post #98978 17th Apr 2011 2:41 pm
Oldie

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Bought a new GS manual in 2007 and have clocked up 50k+ miles. Runs better than it did when new. 34mpg on mixed driving, but mainly town. I did have a warranty repair on the Haldex and I would check out whether this has been done on any vehicle you look at. It appears hard to identify, but might fail, so get a dealer car with warranty (as previously posted).

I can honestly say that the car still feels new and the MOT guy recently remarked about how clean it was underneath, so hoping for a few miles yet out of the old girl Smile

The only thing that I don't like is the Wrangler tyres, so I've recently changed to Hankooks, which feel so much better, but I don't know how many miles I'll get out of them. Buy one Thumbs Up

ps. I've owned all of the main marques over the past 30 years and this car rates as good as any, better than BMW and Merc, and equal to Audi, but everyone has their own favourites. I reckon that it will still be in reasonable nick for another 5/6 years and 100k miles.

Post #98999 17th Apr 2011 8:56 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

They're not that great as a second hand buy on the whole because they're holding their value so well! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #99061 18th Apr 2011 12:10 pm
pjstone

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

got the wife a 07 HSE with 70 K on the clock we have had it for 1yr no problems to date it was a bit slow on pickup so had it re maped mpg went down to 28 but its nicer to drive we both love it p j stone

Post #99085 18th Apr 2011 3:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Recently sold a 2007 SE with 36000 miles. Apart from a couple of recall issues I had no problems with it at all and changed it for a new 2011 XS which has so far proved to be very reliable.

Post #99111 18th Apr 2011 6:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1