Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Traction control doesn't
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

As soon as you are covering the obstacle; leaving the pedals totally to HDC will quickly make sure you are down to the pace again. If not sure brake helps.

Also setting to grass, gravel snow limits the power, but also makes traction control to kick in earlier. Trying that might get you out smoother depending on the power you need. If you are diriving on the sand mode, then the car looks for more powering through sand conditions, so allows more wheelspin. This might be why you are having trouble with slow/sand conditions.

It's interesting how people used to classic systems have issues about the electronic systems. FL2 is the first car I've done offroading, and I am used to it this way. Sometimes I get comments like these on this thread from buddies I go offroad with. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #98497 12th Apr 2011 11:55 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks Wintermute. The whole point (i think) about this forum is to share ideas so your experience in these situations really helps. I suppose many people were similarly sceptical about ABS many moons ago until they actually tried it. I thought I could "tippy-toe" the brakes to avoid skidding as good as anyone until I was put to a test (gravel surface, turns required to avoid obstacles, high speed etc) against an ABS system. ABS won hands down. The LR traction-control system wasn't invented last week, so it's had plenty of practice. I guess I'll have to trust the electronics progressively until I'm 100% sure and willing to go into serious parts of our bush alone. Thanks again.

Post #98500 12th Apr 2011 12:37 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I went and tested the electronic systems in a few different off-road situations today. On two occasions I had the FL2 "stuck" in the traditional style of limited slip-diff 4WD's. One or two wheels spinning at low revs, FL2 slowly burying itself. On more traditional 4WD's, one would either get out and lock the wheels hubs or engage the electronic diff-lock to get out. It was a bit wierd accelerating to improve the situation and thus engage the electronic traction control but it worked a treat. Strangly enough, even my 11 yr nephew who was on-board at the time yelled "Stop, you're spinning the wheels.", right before the TC kicked in and launched us back on to the track proper. Later in the day, my father, who drives the 'invincible' 70's series Landcruiser Ute and has been looking down on my recent FL2 acquisition, was having a drive of the new SD4 on his farm and heading up an incredibly steep grassy hill. He stopped half way, expecting the FL2 to slip and slide on a restart but it just moved on and up without a single wheel spin, nearly launching us airborne over the crest with pure contemp for the challenge. Both of us were impressed. I guess it's a matter of trusting the technology but knowing it's limits, which is going to be fun qualifying!

Post #98722 14th Apr 2011 11:15 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Good to hear from someone who has actually tested the ability and come out smiling Thumbs Up Thanks for the info @ jaksbak

Post #98757 14th Apr 2011 5:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12