« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Transmission Fault Traction Reduced
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Quagmire

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame
Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

So I'm getting an intermittent "transmission fault traction reduced" warning on my MY 2008 . I did a search and it looks like it's not an uncommon issue. I brought my vehicle in for the dealer to look at. They said there was no fault code stored and didn't do anything. That was last week. Since then I got the error another 5+ times. I called back and they said they'll look but unless there's a fault code they're not going to do anything.

From other people's experience, it looks like the Haldex sensor is the first likely culprit. The dealer flat out said "no" this is not the problem. I'm running out of warranty and I don't want to get stuck replacing the sensor or the entire Haldex unit with my own cash.

Any suggestions? Should I expect a fault code to get stored? I could try another dealer, but that's a 3hr drive away. The next closest one is 12hrs.

Thanks

Post #93271 25th Feb 2011 4:56 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Next time, just call out the Landrover assist, tell them you want a technician to come and get him to do a code check. Sometimes it only registers on the first occurance so they may have to go back a while to check on fault codes. Thats what i did! Thumbs Up

Post #93274 25th Feb 2011 5:46 pm
Quagmire

I could give that a try. I probably have a few errors in the system as I'm running my winter tires and I get the TPMS error every startup.

A post on another site suggested that the tech check the "rear differential control module" for faults instead of the "transmission control module". I'll have to suggest that to the tech.

My dealer suggested that the problem could be a dead battery. I was a little skeptical about that, but I humored him. My multimeter reported 12.5V right after I received the error. The battery is rated for 12V, so I don't think that's the cause. On a side note, I did some googling and it seems that in NA, the dealers blame the battery or various wiring problems. People report mixed results.

Post #93275 25th Feb 2011 6:04 pm
EYorkshire

Your winter tyres do have the same rolling circumference as LR's tyre specs Question

Post #93277 25th Feb 2011 6:13 pm
Quagmire

My summers are 235 60 r18. My winters are 235 65 r17. The circumference is different by a few mm but the dealer told me to use that size (in fact, they sold me the rims), so I never thought that would be the issue. I've been running them for 4 years without issue.

Post #93279 25th Feb 2011 6:21 pm
EYorkshire

It was a wild guess that perhaps the axle had different rolling circumference and it was winding up the diff confusing the sensor. Obviously not and I've no more guesses left Sad

Keep on to them and try to get something in writing about the issue before the warranty expires, then it's classed as ongoing.

Post #93280 25th Feb 2011 6:31 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Just got mine back from the dealers.
Had traction fault warning (reduced traction) and ABS warning, turns out it was a rear ABS sensor playing silly devils - all fixed now. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #93389 26th Feb 2011 1:25 pm
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine is in for exactly the same today. It has intermittantly done it since about September, I just hadn't got round to taking it in. I wondered if it may be somehting to do with the tyres all having slightly different wear, but a brand new set of tyres didn't solve the problem either.

I think the error message covers a multitude of problems with the outcome being the same message to go to your dealer, and with all things it never comes on when they have the car!

I'll post when I know more.

Post #94419 7th Mar 2011 11:31 am
Oldie

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I had the same symptoms. The Dealer said nothing wrong with the car.

I read all the relevant posts on this forum and...eventually....they confirmed that I needed a completely new Haldex. Fortunately, as I had reported the initial fault during the warranty period, LR covered the cost, even although it took months to resolve the issue. They must know about this issue by now but are reluctant to offer repairs due to the high cost.

edit: I had no other symptoms, by the way, as some people with Haldex issues have.

Post #94453 7th Mar 2011 8:50 pm
Quagmire

After I got the error another 5 or 6 times, I took the vehicle in again. The dealer said no faults were recorded. They continue to be suspicious of the battery despite the battery testing fine. They said the issue has been noted so if I have problems out of warranty, I should be covered. I got the warning again this weekend.

Oldie, did the dealer happen to mention if they found fault codes during diagnostics. Also was the warning coming up continuously or would it just come up once and then go away?

Post #94462 7th Mar 2011 9:59 pm
Oldie

Quagmire wrote:
Oldie, did the dealer happen to mention if they found fault codes during diagnostics. Also was the warning coming up continuously or would it just come up once and then go away?

I think that I did a more comprehensive report some time ago which might be worth having a look at although, from memory, the story went like this...

I first noticed the warning one day when coming to a set of lights and stopping. No change in vehicle performance and I just ignored it. It started to happen a little more frequently and so I reported it to the dealer. They took the car in but could find nothing wrong. I then suggested that it could be a faulty Haldex sensor and they took the car in again. Still nothing wrong, they said. I suggested that they look at some of the posts on this site which pointed towards a Haldex issue but they denied that this could be the problem. When I started to get uppity with them, they said that the head engineer was visiting their workshop and would I bring the car in again and he would look at it. Soon after, I received a call telling me that they had identified the problem and that it was a Haldex issue, and that they might need the car for 5 days! Turned out that I got the car back after 3 days but with no explanation of what was done to it, so I just took the paperwork off the receptionists desk and saw that they had replaced the haldex (part price was around £1,500 alone) and have not used the dealer since.

Post #94493 8th Mar 2011 8:12 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Its a message which can appear on cold starting, but I would only worry if you get it while driving Exclamation 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #94498 8th Mar 2011 10:23 am
Chris H

Well, I collected it last night and was told they couldn't find anything wrong, but had updated the software on the computer which included various transmission updates. They said it should sort it and to book it in if I have any more problems.

The fault came up again about 20 miles from the dealers last night. It's getting booked in again!

Post #94499 8th Mar 2011 10:25 am
Oldie

Seems like a similar story to my own. Hope that you get it sorted soon. My biggest bugbear was the number of times I had to re-visit the garage, as it aint all that handy for me.

They did give me a courtesy car, however, but no fuel in it. I was advised to get it to the nearest filling station or it would conk out! On returning it, I left about 1/3 of a tank for the next customer. Second time I picked up the courtesy car it was, once again, empty. This time I insisted that they drove it to the nearest filling station and put fuel in it. I think that they just about squeezed in a gallon into it. Pathetic really, when you consider what their labour rates are these days.

As I posted previously, I have not been back.

Post #94507 8th Mar 2011 11:38 am
Chris H

Well it's booked in again for next week.

Not bothering with a courtesy car this time, I'll probably cycle to work instead. Dealers also give the car with whatever fuel the previous person left and I have to insure it, £12 a time AXA want for the joys of a Mazda 3 for the day!

Post #94521 8th Mar 2011 3:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>