Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Where are the best flooded roads in Derbyshire?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Where are the best flooded roads in Derbyshire?

Perhaps Athelstan's knowledge may help here Bow down

In the absence of snow guys, I think some heavy rain and flooded roads will prove to be a good test of the FL2 (with all precautions of course - know the FL2's limits!).

So, living in Derbyshire I wonder where might be best to go during the next very heavy rainfall. I have already sampled the Matlock, Darley Dale and Darley Bridge areas but does anyone know of a place which is particularly liable to flooding?

Cheers Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #94265 5th Mar 2011 7:33 pm
Junior

England 

Lock the thread!!! it is dangerous to drive in floods Laughing

Post #94269 5th Mar 2011 8:05 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
does anyone know of a place which is particularly liable to flooding?

Carsington Water reservoir Whistle but it gets deep quite quickly

Sorry, bad joke

Post #94270 5th Mar 2011 8:08 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Junior wrote:
Lock the thread!!! it is dangerous to drive in floods Laughing

Laughing Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #94283 5th Mar 2011 9:03 pm
athelstan

Doc I think you need to see a Doc Wink Seriously though I don't think it appropriate to send you 30 or 40mls just to sail through a few feet of water for 50 yards or so.

And besides, the last time I engaged in such joyful antics the roads were empty compared to today's traffic volumes and I was on my push bike drunk as a coot with chums on our frequent "Tour De Derbyshire". We never had the probability of fine weather or fine wine of its famous cousin "Le Tour" but it was cheaper, language not a hinderance, the females very engaging, and, the incorrigible delightfully intoxicating beer. Half a century on I would guess the puddles we sloshed through are now no longer forming due to Highways & Environmental Agencies' rules and reconstruction to prevent such flooding.

However if you must, here's a tip - just do a search on the "Fords of Derbyshire"; river ones that is not Henry's. Those should still give pleasure in a monsoon. I know the Bradbourne/Tissington ford is still used by the Derbyshire Police as training for their motorcycle mounted police recruits - it can become very slippery and deep. Have Fun.

Post #94347 6th Mar 2011 8:16 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Hi Doc

try this link

http://www.wetroads.co.uk/derbyshire.htm

The Tissington ford as Athelstan suggests is wide and has always been quite shallow when I have driven it.

You want real water then try the Corwen 'car wash' - google it pleanty of Youtube action!! (Not in Drbyshire though!)

ATB

DR There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #94363 6th Mar 2011 9:19 pm
athelstan

Drowned Rat
That's an excellent and very interesting website (Wet Roads) you've posted here. How things have changed since my days of gallivanting around the byways of home (Derbyshire). But it does not reveal all the secrets - so just once I'll make an exception:

The Doctor
In my youth it was just an old mill (built 1782) converted into an owd pub - no fancy trimmings just great beer direct from the barrel and a sarni, pork pie n crisps. Last time I visited back in early 90's it was smarter; still had great real ale but also "restaurant" menu and you could stay over night in posh bedrooms (progress?). In the last couple of years it has been sold so I cannot reliably comment on what you'll find on a visit now.

Location is Rowarth and the "Little Mill". If you look at an OS it is easy to drive directly to - but - that's not what we want to do is it. The adventure way is this which I drove in my RR then:
1: Drive north on the A624 Hayfield to Glossop road until you reach a left turn onto single track lane at Hollinworth Head Farm into "Monk's Road". If you go past the Grouse pub on your right (if it still exists today what with all the pub closures I hear about nowadays) you've gone ≈100yds too far.
2: Drive uphill on Monk's Lane to Plainsteads, and there turn left onto another single track lane . (look around you and you'll see a large rocky outcrop - that's Crouch Edge Rocks and if its a clear day you'll see Kinder Scout. Here there are lots of rough tracks to take you up and over there so get a decent Landranger OS map if they still publish them. A manouvre over to "Robin Hood's Picking Rods" may prove of interest you coming from Sherwood Forest).
3: Back to the my route - onwards down the single track road to Knarrs Nook and then Mately Moor, hereafter the asphalt surface disappears (or used to) to lead you down to the river and the ford. This section is gated.
4: Cross the ford and onto the Mill i.e. the pub, restaurant, b&b etc with that stunning young lady you bought with for a fine weekend of fun Wink

Post #94421 7th Mar 2011 12:02 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Cheers Athelstan. As ever your supreme knowledge of the area proves useful Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #94440 7th Mar 2011 6:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1