Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

avtur wrote:
npinks wrote:
I think mpg is something we should all look at due to saving the planet etc,

but not let it take over your life, the main thing is that you enjoy the car your driving and not worry about it too much.

I am in a privleged position that i don't pay for my fuel, (apart from the tax I pay) so I don't look at it too much as it offen only read 26 -28mpg due to my heavy size 11 foot and inner city driving

Just concentrate on the road or greenlane your on and not the mpg display.

This is not directed at anybody on this forum, it is just my opinion.

I agree 'np', although because I cover a higher than average mileage I have the opportunity to try different styles and see the results quite quickly and as sad and boring as it may sound 'messing' about with styles helps pass the time. Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle

Done the same,

aircon on, aircon off, highest gear as soon as possible, speed limit, +5mph, 10mph etc.

Unfortunately i get distracted and end up in lane three, flashing BMW to get past.

Post #9216 30th Oct 2007 10:12 pm
Dave Wilkin

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Ah well, the problem is a mixture of marketing and owner expectations. If the combined average is stated as 37.1 mpg it suggests that there is either something wrong with the driver, the car, the advertising, or a permutation of all three. To be 1 mile out on the average mpg then this is neither here nor there. But to be 6 miles out that represents a 20% shortfall. For those who do not have the luxury of having their fuel paid for them is represents a significant hike in running costs. Bearing in mind my journey is 1 mile suburban and 32 motorway, then I would expect my average mpg to exceed 37.1 mpg.

I still note a continued trend of a higher mpg on a daily basis. This is without economy mode on, using the cruise control, and with the aircon on. The only rules I am applying at the moment are: keep the speed equal to or below 70 mph and the revs between 1000 and 2000 rpm. Having said that it has been fun to demonstrate the car’s agility on more than a few occasions Wink GS TD4 All Black

Post #9218 30th Oct 2007 10:30 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Dave Wilkin wrote:
Having said that it has been fun to demonstrate the car’s agility on more than a few occasions Wink

Yes, thats what gets us all, you can go so long 'taking it easy' but then an opportunity presents itself where you can make good and full use of max bhp & torque... and off you go. There is a 5 mile length of dual carriageway bypass within a mile of home, there are 6 roundabouts on that stretch of road, it really is fun to make use of the car's agility ... I've surprised a few folks, though I expect I could surpise a few more in an auto .. ... ... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post #9219 30th Oct 2007 11:01 pm
Dave Wilkin

When I have few more miles under the belt, driving the manual, I will organise a test drive in a diesel auto just to see how different the drive is - other than having less to do. GS TD4 All Black

Post #9222 30th Oct 2007 11:18 pm
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

WARNING:this post contains tacky humour

Quote:
Remember It's not the size of your feet that counts, it whats between them

....which is why she will never divorce me Shocked Whistle Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #9230 31st Oct 2007 11:01 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Quote:
....which is why she will never divorce me

That's not the rumour I've heared going around Laughing Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #9247 31st Oct 2007 1:41 pm
Goldstone69

UKdave104 wrote:

That's not the rumour I've heared going around Laughing Laughing

.......its reached Aberdeen ! Shocked Big Cry

Post #9248 31st Oct 2007 2:17 pm
gd

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

doesnt matter how i drive the freelander i.e. town, fast, slow, motorway, like an idiot, not like an idiot i get exactly the same mpg, yes, you got it, that famous 32.7!

Post #9309 1st Nov 2007 11:40 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Like most new cars, the FL2 has an intelligent CPU which learns the drivers techniques and adjusts its throttle response,braking effort etc and builds on a past database. If you want to really test your MPG then you have to disconnect the battery for a few minutes so that the car acn reboot itself. This helps to explain why MPG is altered after a software upgrade as the car is rebooted after this is done

Post #9324 1st Nov 2007 1:28 pm
Goldstone69

Thanks Tandemman that would help explain my missing mpg after upgrade... although i still drive mainly the same route same driving style and the car has done more miles yet there is an average 3mpg difference currently 31mpg used to get 34 so still a bit confused Confused Question

Post #9329 1st Nov 2007 1:50 pm
tatters

Has anyone converted to LPG (or any other less environmentally damaging fuel - veg oil or biofuel)?

Post #9349 1st Nov 2007 4:57 pm
Dave Wilkin

WOW, 3500 on the clock, last refill 498 miles on 61 litres. I have achieved the dizzy heights of what Landrover expects the average of 37.1 mpg to be. Although the computer displayed 38.1 mpg.

Onwards and upwards as they say Cool GS TD4 All Black

Post #11432 9th Dec 2007 6:39 pm
StevenA

Scotland 

Just managed to achieve 428 miles on 47.66L of Diesel so just under 41 mpg.

This was mainly motorway driving @ 70 - 75 MPH (300 mile round trip) plus the remainder a mixture of B road's and town driving.

Very little of this was stop start driving stuck in traffic and I wasn't exactly driving hard due to icy roads etc.
Please bear in mind that this was in an AUDI A4 2.0TDi 140 manual saloon. Audi claim a combined figure of 49.6 mpg. Rolling with laughter

This only has front wheel drive, so has even less mechanical losses than a 4WD system Shocked

So it seems that the FL2 looks pretty good on the economy stakes given it's size. Thumbs Up

Finally managed to get round to taking a FL2 out for a test drive yesterday and I was very impressed with it. Looks like I'll need to find a bit of spare cash then. Rolling Eyes

Hope this makes everyone feel a bit better about their fuel economy. Laughing

It's certainly making me more convinced that the FL2 is the right choice for me. Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Steve

Post #11921 19th Dec 2007 9:54 am
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Reading all these posts, I can't help but think somethings wrong with my FL2.

Best I have managed so far was 34mpg (on computer) over 50m trip when I held my speed religiously between 50-70mph on motorway (lots of roadworks with 50 limit).

Generally I get about 28mpg on daily 5m commute to work and back, and around 31mpgon longer trips including motorway.

Other than that its a great car, and I love it.

Anybody had any success with Landrover dealerships, claiming mpg long way below published figures???

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #11986 20th Dec 2007 8:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

markconnor33 wrote:
Reading all these posts, I can't help but think somethings wrong with my FL2.

Best I have managed so far was 34mpg (on computer) over 50m trip when I held my speed religiously between 50-70mph on motorway (lots of roadworks with 50 limit).

Generally I get about 28mpg on daily 5m commute to work and back, and around 31mpgon longer trips including motorway.

Other than that its a great car, and I love it.

Anybody had any success with Landrover dealerships, claiming mpg long way below published figures???

Mark

MC33

I went to mine and they did checks and said it was running fine on their computer, I live in Leeds area and do lots of short town type start stop driving, racing to the next set of light ect ect.

I have kept an eye on these figures been published, and still do worry about its mpg, I had my car in last week for the dipping rev's and the software update appeared to have sorted the mpg, I did a run to Lincoln and return with 36.2mpg at 70'ish mph.

I actually got over 400 miles from a tank of fuel as well between fill ups Milestone (400.1miles to be exact) and had 3miles range left Rolling with laughter

Your figures seem the same as mine, i think it must be town driving that does it Big Cry Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #11991 20th Dec 2007 8:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>