« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Cheap car recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Cheap car recommendations

My sister is currently without a car. Her 2003 high mileage BMW 3 series has given her so much grief that she has got rid of it for scrap value, hideous reliability.

She has only got a max of £2k to throw around and wants something that will be reliable and cheap to run and maintain. My thoughts turned to Honda, perhaps a Civic? I believe that the Honda V-tec engine has legendary reliability.

I have done some autotrader searches for cars like the Ford Focus (always plenty about), but what do you guys think would be a good bet for her budget and requirements? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #90932 5th Feb 2011 4:42 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Focus's tend to be pretty bulletproof and cheap to run (touching head). We've got a 5 year old one that hasn't had anything significantly wrong with it, does 60mpg (1.6 tdci) ghia spec, so has electric everything, auto lights and wipers, air con etc.

Honda Jazz? Fiesta? or does it want to be something slightly bigger? Diesel golfs will probably last longer than the earth itself. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #90940 5th Feb 2011 5:34 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Big Dave wrote:
Focus's tend to be pretty bulletproof and cheap to run (touching head). We've got a 5 year old one that hasn't had anything significantly wrong with it, does 60mpg (1.6 tdci) ghia spec, so has electric everything, auto lights and wipers, air con etc.

Honda Jazz? Fiesta? or does it want to be something slightly bigger? Diesel golfs will probably last longer than the earth itself.

Focus sized car is ideal. May drop to a fiesta size though. Golfs sound good but can hold their value so may be dearer and higher mileage than a focus of the same age. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #90943 5th Feb 2011 5:56 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

I would sugges that you find a busy stretch of road -not motorway and watch what goes past. You will see scenics, Astra, Focus, Fiesta, meganes, corolla's etc but the important hting to note is the registred years - some cars seem to be more reliable from specific years - watch out for 'S' reg Astras for example - you will see what I mean. For £2k the selection is a little limited but shop around and you should get a decent run around.

I know the above might seema little strange but give it try.

The honda is dull as ditch water - but will probably go on for ever within the blue rinse brigade... There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #90944 5th Feb 2011 6:01 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Does it have to be a hatchback? The wife of a colleague wanted a Golf a couple of years back, but all the good ones were really pricey, so she got a Bora (ie a Golf with a boot). Saved over £1000 for the same year and hasn't had any regrets at all.

Post #90988 5th Feb 2011 8:14 pm
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

John L wrote:
Does it have to be a hatchback? The wife of a colleague wanted a Golf a couple of years back, but all the good ones were really pricey, so she got a Bora (ie a Golf with a boot). Saved over £1000 for the same year and hasn't had any regrets at all.

Good call, one round here on a G plate, sounds and looks as good as new The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #90993 5th Feb 2011 8:44 pm
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Isn't the default answer to these kinds of questions MX5? Laughing

Seriously good fun for 2k and mine have both been very reliable, even when somebody accidentally supercharged the last one. Cool

My son's Mk 1 Focus has been incredibly reliable too, 2001 car, sailed through all 3 of its MOTs since we've had it, only cost was for a new alternator two years ago.

Post #91042 6th Feb 2011 10:13 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I just bought a 1.4 tdci fiesta. £30 a year to tax, and 70 mpg.
It's a good little car. Thumbs Up Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #91043 6th Feb 2011 10:23 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Interesting thread for me.
I'm possibly going to spend 3 months in the UK and I am thinking of buying a car for 2k instead of hiring one.
So I'm interested to see peoples recommendations also.

Post #91044 6th Feb 2011 10:56 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Foci, focus's, focus are pretty good cars - generally bullet proof fairly engaging to drive and does what you need it too and louds around. I sold my wifes 51 reg mk1 with low miles last year for £2.5k. In the 4 yrs we had it it never missed a beat and only cost me an MOT ans petrol. Watch out though as there are some tatty cars and a lot of high milers. The 1.6 was ok if a little gutless 1.8 better but thirsty and the diesel possibly out of price range. The mk4 golf's are IMO one of the best golfs made and. If you can find one in good nick for the money - knock yourself out! Bora based on mk4 is same car so could be a good buy. Most were rep mobiles as well so you may pick up a well maintained high miler. Look at civics and corollas for cast iron reliability but they are woefully dull! Avoid any breed of mg/rover there just not worth it - and avoid anything french unless your sis likes paying out for repairs!!!

Just my 10pence worth! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #91080 6th Feb 2011 2:28 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Perhaps she will consider a Yugo 45 Rolling with laughter LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #91088 6th Feb 2011 3:20 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

mate of mine had a yugo - got written off because of a broken light and a dodgy lower ball joint - could not get parts for love not money hence the insurers wernt even going to attempt to get it fixed!!! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #91107 6th Feb 2011 6:33 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

The Doctor wrote:
Perhaps she will consider a Yugo 45 :rolllaugh:

On a serious note try looking at late model MG and Rover 214's. I was donated a R reg Rover 214 with 36k miles on the clock and hammered it for 3 years eventually scrapping it with 136k miles on the clock as I had retired and had no need for 2 cars.

Bill T. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #92762 21st Feb 2011 1:48 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Cant go wrong with a Tata Nano - thats cheap enough Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #92895 22nd Feb 2011 12:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1