« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > X3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
X3

New X3 is getting some good write ups in the press-anyone tried one? Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #91910 14th Feb 2011 3:53 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I was killing a bit of time wandering round the beemer garage and audi one etc.

Some over enthusiastic salesman came out and asked me what I was looking for.
In spite of me telling him 3 times "nothing, I am just killing time I am happy with my freelander" he started on about the new X3 saying it was fantastic as it was bigger than the old one, more economical etc etc

When I asked to see what it looked like he said that's the thing, we cant get any in, not even demonstrators, they are so popular.
Even if you ordered one today it would take 7 months or so until delivery Shocked Shocked Shocked

They must be popular!

The basic one is still 31 grand and doesnt have sat nav, parking sensors, bluetooth etc.

I'll stick with me FL2.

Post #91912 14th Feb 2011 4:46 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I specced one up to the FL2 HSE and it pushed its £31K price tag upto to over £42K!!! - and it would still be sCensored t Whistle

Post #91915 14th Feb 2011 4:53 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I would sooner have a 2007 'S' FL2 with high mileage than fork out for an X3.

BMW drivers (not all obviously) think that because they have a BMW, they are infinitely superior. Now, I like some beemers but the X3 for whatever positives it might have is inferior and pathetic compared to the FL2. I would feel sorry for the owner of an X3 if I had to park my glorious FL2 next to such a stupid overpriced excuse for a 4x4.

BMW might have a good badge but in 4x4 world they are second fiddle (at best) to Land Rover.

If you want the 'ultimate driving machine', get a rear wheel drive beemer (then get stuck in snow Laughing )

If you want all and sundry to know that you enjoy driving an inferior 4x4 that is not fit to breath the same air as a Land Rover then buy any of BMW's 4x4's.

Nuff said Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #91953 14th Feb 2011 8:56 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

The Doctor wrote:
I would sooner have a 2007 'S' FL2 with high mileage than fork out for an X3.

BMW drivers (not all obviously) think that because they have a BMW, they are infinitely superior. Now, I like some beemers but the X3 for whatever positives it might have is inferior and pathetic compared to the FL2. I would feel sorry for the owner of an X3 if I had to park my glorious FL2 next to such a stupid overpriced excuse for a 4x4.

BMW might have a good badge but in 4x4 world they are second fiddle (at best) to Land Rover.

If you want the 'ultimate driving machine', get a rear wheel drive beemer (then get stuck in snow Laughing )

If you want all and sundry to know that you enjoy driving an inferior 4x4 that is not fit to breath the same air as a Land Rover then buy any of BMW's 4x4's.

Nuff said Thumbs Up

Not all BMW Drivers think they are infinitely superior.... just superior Whistle

In all seriousness the new X3 does look like a nice piece of kit although it has its downfalls like every other car... oh and for the record the base spec SE does come with leather (and it'll be all nice nappa leather and none of this pleather stuff), all round parking sensors and i drive as standard... although all the other toys are extra's. The biggest problem for me on the X3 as per all other BMW's is the room on the rear seat, because of the bolsters either side it makes fitting 3 children in the back ni on impossible in all but the new X5.

I'm not knocking the FL2, it is far superior offroad and drives much nicer (if you like that sort of thing) but I dont imgine that any more than 10% of 4x4 drivers even ever take their cars anywhere close to what they are capable of. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #91975 14th Feb 2011 10:48 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Well Captain, this is why I would not have any BMW off roader.

I like doing some admittedly mild off roading in my FL2 (more serious where insurance permits!) and as you say the beemers can't compete on that front. The FL2 will be better in thick snow too (all things equal on the tyre front) and better at wading I suspect.

If I wanted 4 wheel drive with no intention of going off road, a nice Audi Quattro would suffice me thinks.

If I wanted a BMW, I would put up with getting stuck in snow and have a proper 'Driving machine' and get a rear wheel drive Beemer. Excellent cars. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #91979 14th Feb 2011 11:11 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

The Doctor wrote:

If I wanted 4 wheel drive with no intention of going off road, a nice Audi Quattro would suffice me thinks.

If I wanted a BMW, I would put up with getting stuck in snow and have a proper 'Driving machine' and get a rear wheel drive Beemer. Excellent cars.

True, although its a shame that mbW dont sell their 4 wheel drive cars (not x1, x3, x5, x6) in the UK like they do in th US and some other countries.... I went off audi when my A4 blew a turbo when trying to get over the pont de normandy in France and very nearly ground to a halt Evil or Very Mad Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #91982 14th Feb 2011 11:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1