Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Our first week of FL2 ownership...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cdn_downunder

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
Our first week of FL2 ownership...

We just returned from our 'break in' road trip from Sydney to Melbourne and back and had a good chance to put the vehicle through it's paces.

We took a 4x4 trail from behind Tumut Power Station 3 up to Buddong Falls via some 4x4 tracks with deep ruts a bit of wading and a few trees over the track which needed clearing. The walking track to the falls was closed as all of the bridges had washed out due to recent storm activity, so you can imagine the state of the forestry access roads we were driving on. The Freelander handled everything with aplomb, and we were delighted that we'd taken the off road track through the snowy mountains en route to Melbourne.

After a week of meetings and visiting friends in Melbourne we decided to take the coast road home, and this is where things got a bit interesting. The night before our return trip an arm of (by then former) Cyclone Yasi hit Melbourne (yes the other end of the continent from Northern Queensland - it was THAT big) and caused extensive flooding. We got out of the city without issue the next morning, wading through a number of instant lakes at various intersections and onto the coast Motorway.

We ran into trouble just as we got out of the suburbs however as the police had closed the entire motorway in both directions due to flooding and were directing all traffic off onto a dual carriageway - suffice to say gridlock quickly ensued! My trusty navigator broke out google maps and plotted an alternate course that would take us about 20kms out of our way, but looked like it would bypass all the traffic and get us back onto the motorway about 30kms down the road (the police had said the motorway was closed for about 20kms). There appeared to be several unsealed roads on our route so we expected traffic to be light and it was.

After crossing a couple fast moving overflowing creeks with no issue we were feeling pretty good about our new purchase. We then came to a line of cars backed up with groups of people standing around contemplating their chances at the Little Bunyip River which had overflowed the road, was moving quite fast and (after watching a 4x4 go through, about 60cm deep) about 30m across a stretch of sealed road. We went in slow but continuous and had no problems what so ever, this river later caused evacuations of 4 towns downstream so we made it across just in time in my estimation.

We got back on the motorway and headed East again, staying alert as there was flood signage out, we saw flashing lights up ahead and the police were just arriving to close another section that had flooded across the Motorway to about 40cm but they had not set up as yet so we rolled on through, again no issues, just slow and steady. For the rest of the afternoon we were pretty much alone on the Motorway as I suspect we were almost the last to get through, and saw few cars.

We stopped over for the night in a place called Lakes Entrance, headed out the next morning and saw 'smoke on road' signs along the highway. As the storm had passed over us the evening before we thought this a bit humourous until we hit what has obviously been a pretty severe bush fire the day before. Still smoking trees and eerie barren landscape on both sides of the road for kms (pic in my gallery), with a few houses that obviously were fighting from their rooftops as the fire came in. Still smoking trees were everywhere and I expect the storm was a godsend for these country folk as you could see where the fire came up to within meters of their homes (and I expect as far as their fire fighting hoses sprayed out to) and passed by or just stopped short.

A great road trip for our first week in the FL2, we were very glad to have it as we would not have gotten out in our old car and an impressive demonstration of the awesome force of Mother Nature and how a tragedy for some can be a blessing for others, we were truly humbled by it.

Next month, we head on a road trip north to visit the wife's family in QLD and lend a hand with the rebuilding for a few days.

Love our FL2! 11MY SE SD4 in Lago Grey just arrived with a free Garmin thrown in! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship (I'm an eternal optimist, and former FL1 owner)!

Post #91178 7th Feb 2011 6:50 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Sounds like you had an interesting trip. Glad you like your FL2. I am working back late tonight and the only thing keeping me going is knowing I get an hours drive home in my FL2. I know it is a little sad, but I look forward to driving in it. I haven't had chance to take it out much since we got it. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #91180 7th Feb 2011 8:33 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

very interesting journey to say the least !! must give you a bit of confidence in the FL2 and also your driving ability ?

Iain

Post #91184 7th Feb 2011 9:17 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

CDN - how did the Navman go with the dirt roads? Does it have sufficient detail in relatively unpopulated areas like eastern Victoria?

Post #91200 7th Feb 2011 1:15 pm
cdn_downunder

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

jaksbak@freel2 wrote:
CDN - how did the Navman go with the dirt roads? Does it have sufficient detail in relatively unpopulated areas like eastern Victoria?

The Garmin was pretty good with good detail and was able to recalculate quickly to take in our changes of track although I must admit I stopped at a cafe and planned our route on my laptop, primarily as the larger screen made it easier to see our options, and I was also looking at weather radar images. 11MY SE SD4 in Lago Grey just arrived with a free Garmin thrown in! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship (I'm an eternal optimist, and former FL1 owner)!

Post #91207 7th Feb 2011 1:53 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

A great report, many thanks for posting...
Not quite as exciting in West London but I did get mine very muddy out of town last weekend! Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #91268 7th Feb 2011 9:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1