« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Speed camera GPS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 
Speed camera GPS

One of the major annoyances I have about the HSE is the lack of speed camera warnings on the 'premium' satnav. I had this on my last 'top of the range' Honda too! Manufacturers are really taking the mick here! (Just as with DAB and Bluetooth!)

Anyway, grumps apart, what have others done (other than always staying within the limit, obviously) to supplement the HSE sat nav? Not much point in paying for another Sat Nav with speed camera database, I suppose. So what devices are recommended and how are they best mounted neatly?

Top of my list at the moment are the Snooper MySpeed and the rather more expensive Pogo Alert Plus. Anyone using these or something else? Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #90990 5th Feb 2011 8:31 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green
Re: Speed camera GPS

Skypilot617 wrote:
One of the major annoyances I have about the HSE is the lack of speed camera warnings on the 'premium' satnav. I had this on my last 'top of the range' Honda too! Manufacturers are really taking the mick here! (Just as with DAB and Bluetooth!)

Anyway, grumps apart, what have others done (other than always staying within the limit, obviously) to supplement the HSE sat nav? Not much point in paying for another Sat Nav with speed camera database, I suppose. So what devices are recommended and how are they best mounted neatly?

Top of my list at the moment are the Snooper MySpeed and the rather more expensive Pogo Alert Plus. Anyone using these or something else?

Get a TomTom...HD traffic, speed cameras, smart routes etc etc - oh and integral bluetooth!

Post #90991 5th Feb 2011 8:33 pm
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

had a snooper in the HSE for a bit but was sooo annoying and darn useless it got fleabayed.
Got a BMW/Garmin Sat Nav in my Alpina which is much better and as per the above post, has better maps, live traffic, re-routing, cameras, mp3 and bluetooth. Very useful but still turn the sound off.
The main cameras to worry about are mobile ones and unless u want warning of a "possible mobile location" every 30 seconds (i.e every bridge on every motorway) none of them are worth having IMO.
I have not been saved by a device yet just common sense and using ur eyes. The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #90992 5th Feb 2011 8:42 pm
ad210358

England 

Road Angel Pro, tells you what the speed limit is, updates every few minutes so you never need remove, will notify you when a mobile site is live.
Downside, expensive, relies on other Road Angel Pro users to notify Road Angel that a mobile site is live, still didn't stop SWMBO getting a ticket though, but that's my fault for buying an Auto, it seems they go faster than a manual Confused p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #90997 5th Feb 2011 9:04 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Novus GPS Rider for around £80 when on special offer. Gives you 11 hours of camera warnings "fixed, mobile, spec's and many more" on one charge or plugs into the cig lighter.
Informs you of everything on the road that can seriously affect your wallet and freedom, very accurate too with weekly/fortnightly updates. Thumbs Up

Post #91014 5th Feb 2011 11:00 pm
dunroof

Just keep within the speed limits? Rolling Eyes

Post #91048 6th Feb 2011 11:10 am
Dead-Rat

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Sumatra Black

Try a smart phone as there are plenty of apps out there that do a good job (that is if you own one already) SD4 Sports LE Black ...

Post #91055 6th Feb 2011 11:40 am
bobt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Speed camera

I use Talex, it works well on mobile, have a look www.talex.co.uk

Post #91057 6th Feb 2011 12:00 pm
claw

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

'Inforad' - clever little gadget (£40) only a 4hr battery life, but will work when in the power socket by the gearstick (altho' I have a sunroof - which probably helps with the signal).

Or the camera alert app for Iphone

both use the pocketgps database

Post #91212 7th Feb 2011 2:38 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Dead-Rat wrote:
Try a smart phone as there are plenty of apps out there that do a good job (that is if you own one already)

I don't have a smart phone I have an iPhone - and its GPS is utter crap. Never knows where it is unless it is in the house where it is 'assisted' by the wi-fi. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #91262 7th Feb 2011 9:17 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

dunroof wrote:

That assumes I know what they are. Of course a perfect driver, undistracted by the obscure placings of many of the switches on the Freelander dash, will always know what that limit is.

I'm less than perfect. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #91264 7th Feb 2011 9:19 pm
ad210358

England 

Skypilot617 wrote:
dunroof wrote:

That assumes I know what they are. Of course a perfect driver, undistracted by the obscure placings of many of the switches on the Freelander dash, will always know what that limit is.

I'm less than perfect.

Don't let it make you feel inferior, there are many many more members of this group, but it most seem to think they belong to the group:thumbsup: p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #91267 7th Feb 2011 9:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1