Post #90185 30th Jan 2011 6:07 pm
MVS

Another good bit of flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyTYuW_jBQI

Shocked

Post #90192 30th Jan 2011 7:41 pm
J T

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

I tried with an RC heli but found it very hard to control so I went with a quad Mikrokopter.

Been having fantastic fun with either a GoPro HD hero or a point and shoot strapped underneath it.

Post #90193 30th Jan 2011 7:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Just looked them up

Great things, though the YouTube videos show quite complicated controls, liking the LCD displays for the built in camera mounts

Don't look cheap though £1200+ for a pre built one Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #90194 30th Jan 2011 8:26 pm
J T

Yes, they can work out expensive.

I brought one in kit form and after a lot of smoke (soldering) and swearing I got it to fly in the end.

Post #90197 30th Jan 2011 8:36 pm
MVS

Don't want to spoil your fun J T but are you aware of the new CAA reg's re ariel piccy flying;

In January 2010 the CAA introduced new regulations that require operators of small unmanned aircraft used for aerial work purposes and those equipped for data acquisition and/or surveillance to obtain permission from the CAA before commencing a flight within a congested area or in proximity to people or property.

cap722

Air Navigation Order - cap393

"Fourth Edition 6 April 2010

This edition incorporates the changes to legislation introduced in Air Navigation Order 2009
(ANO 2009) regarding the requirement for operators of small unmanned aircraft to obtain a
CAA permission when their aircraft are being used for aerial work, and also in some cases for
surveillance or data acquisition purposes (now termed small unmanned surveillance aircraft).
Unmanned aircraft having a mass of less than 7 kg are now covered by this new legislation,
which is intended to ensure public safety by applying appropriate operational constraints,
dependent on the flying operation being conducted and the potential risks to third parties. In
line with this change, some guidance on the additional details to be provided within an
application for permission to operate small unmanned aircraft have also been included
(Appendix 1 to Section 3, Chapter 1)."

Its imperative that if your converting or modifying your aircraft for specifically aerial work that you are aware of the new regulations, more so that you will no-doubt need to secure a "g" reg for your heli from the CAA and we suspect a set of tests will come into play that will enable pilots to secure a licence to operate in the UK. It must be noted that this only applies to the UK and the rest of europe/world work to different rules so contact your local goverment air agency.

As we suspect the majority of flyers in this sector are rotor orientated due to the ease and simplicity of equipment to carry out such works the RCHA feels its imperative that you fully understand that legally you cannot fly for this purpose unless your sanctioned by the CAA to do so, the consequences could be costly.

Unquote

Post #90204 30th Jan 2011 9:03 pm
J T

MVS,
Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, I'm aware of the CAA reg's but to be honest still wading through all the info. For the time being I thought I would be ok to keep 50m from people and 150m from buildings. It's a real bummer they changed the rules to include sub 7 kg UAV's, after all it's only a hobby, not planning to load it up with a 50cal. Confused

Last edited by J T on 30th Jan 2011 10:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #90212 30th Jan 2011 9:28 pm
MVS

Yup life's a bummer in the UK. You need a piece of paper to prove you can breathe and insurance in case you pass on the common cold Big Cry

Post #90217 30th Jan 2011 9:46 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

My main hobby is flying RC helicopters, I have scale Augusta A109, Military Hughs 500, Raptor 30 Pod and boom. All 3 are powered by glow fuel but my pride and joy is a jet turbine powered pod and boom helicopter. I have to buy my fuel at the local airport, cheaper than diesel, (wish Freelander would run on Jet A1!)

Great fun. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #90220 30th Jan 2011 10:05 pm
Mr Hedgehog

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Flycop,

Having read about your hobby, could I be hideously cheeky and ask for a bit of advice please.
I've been thinking about getting into flying, or at least, learning to fly, RC helicopters, and have got to the stage where I feel I need to buy something, but have no real idea what. I've been to the local toyhop and they are trying to sell me something about 8" long for about £40. Looking through various magazines, it would appear that there are also helis that I would regard as 'better', and more expensive.
I know it's a bit of a cheek, but any ideas would be much appreciated, as I seem to get conflicting advice, all from people keep to have me spend money with them. Budget isn't really an issue, I'd rather have a better and hopefully easier to fly heli , than a few quid left over.

Thanks
Richard

Post #90238 31st Jan 2011 12:58 am
ad15

superspark wrote:
I think before you ever attempt to fly upside down you need to be very capable at flying the right way up. You can only fly up side down if your heli has variable pitch rota system. Its the variable pitch that gives lift.
On your computer radio there will be a number of different toggle switches that can be programmed for different operations ie lifting and lowering landing gear etc.
When your heli is set up properly you take her up to a suitable height, start to roll the heli then flick what ever switch you have programmed to give the heli negative pitch. while your in inverted flight the rota's are now pulling air in the opposite direction from the skids to the rota head in stead of from the rota head to the skids as in normal none inverted flight.
All so to stop the glow fuel engine from suffering fuel starvation there is a weighted fuel pick up in the tank so what ever position the heli is its always got a supply of fuel, well at least untill you run out, mine had a five minute run time Thumbs Up

and your point is.... Wink

Post #90239 31st Jan 2011 1:07 am
J T

Mr Hedgehog

Route I took was ..Simulator - Blade MSR - Then a Blade SR. I can now fly but not upside-down Very Happy

Post #90245 31st Jan 2011 8:28 am
MVS

Lots of good info for getting started & theory here;

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/radio-controlled-helicopters.html

Good UK web forum here;

http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/forums.html

My route in after much reading is;

1-Phoenix v3 simulator with Spectrum Dx6i set (which will also be used for later flying).

2-E-flite Blade CX2 contra rotating for practice indoors and basic flight. http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/blade_elec...-1137.html
Or similar as there are loads of this type of model

3-Flying lessons (yup you can get them!) at a local club. Onto something like.

4-Align Trex 450 or 500 or equivalent.

Post #90247 31st Jan 2011 8:59 am
flycop2000

ad15,

sent you a pm, if you require any more advice, just ask, You can spend hundreds of pounds or more if you go down the jet turbine route?

Post #90384 31st Jan 2011 10:27 pm
flycop2000

Jet turbine helicopter

Cut and paste the link to see a short video taken of a test flight after a repair following a little mishap !!!!! Very Happy

Post #90393 31st Jan 2011 11:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>