« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Trouble with Thule ski carrier on roof rack crossmembers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Trouble with Thule ski carrier on roof rack crossmembers

Recently got a nice discount on a pair of Thule 727 ski carriers. I was told that they would fit easiy in the tracks of the crossmembers on an original roof rack.

However, the original cross members are not straight, but slightly bended (upwards), which makes it awfully difficult to slide the ski carriers into the tracks.

Resulting in a slight bend when the ski carriers are fastened.

Now, there must be some sort of remedy, a piece of metal or plastic that can go beetween the ski carriers and the crossmembers, so that one can get a secure fit without any bending of the ski carriers themselves.

The original Land Rover ski carriers (made by Thule I suppose), must have a somewhat different bracket that attaches to the crossmembers.

My question is, can someone tell me what I need to fix this or point me to a dealer on the web preferably, or post the assembly manual for the original LR ski carriers, so that I can see how its supposed to be mounted on the cross members? Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Post #89388 23rd Jan 2011 4:22 pm
athelstan

Oscr
From your post I conclude that you have the LR Roof Rail Kit (LR006608) & Curved Crossbars (LR002417) fitted to your Freelander2, and wish to fit onto these crossbars the Thule Delux 727 Ski Rack (not the older 727 rack) - see www.Thule.com for picture of the current 727 Delux. That 727 Delux model should have included a "20mm ride height" adjuster kit to overcome the problem you describe - if not - here is a potential solution:

Idea
The LR system is made by Thule and the Ski Rack is LR006849, the exact none LR branded Thule rack is "Thule Xtender 739". To lift the ski rack up so that the crossbar does not obstruct the base of the ski rack you will need to fit the following components of the kit:

Four each of the following LR006849 (Thule Xtender 739) parts:
Part Number 31742 - Spacer Bolt M6x14 (slides over the screw)
Part Number 50642 - Locking Pressure Washer
Part Number 50333 - Screw
Part Number 50647 - Washer

The LR Ski Rack LR0006849 assembly & fitting instruction leaflet can be found on www.LandRover.com following the menu to Parts&Accessories and Instructions and key in the part number - that revels the pdf.

In the UK you can buy these spares online from Exeter Roof Racks - Tel: 01404 823 990 ask for Roland , or go online at www.roofracks-roofboxes.co.uk and follow menu to online parts and accessories which opens a new URL. Very poor web navigation design but you do get there and Roland does have everything you need. (Note UK folks - if you call Thule UK they will inevitably redirect you to Roland - he has more spare stock than Thule UK!)

Alternatively Oscr you may be able to get the missing components of your 727 Delux "20mm ride height" adjuster kit from your local Thule agents or the above Xtender 739 components.

-o0o-

As I have not seen your actual ski rack I obviously cannot guarantee the above solution especially if you have the earlier 727 rack and not the lastest generation Thule Delux 727 Exclamation

Post #89899 27th Jan 2011 10:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i had this problem when trying to use my brothers Thule Extender (as said LR ski holder) due to the curve of the OEM roof bars i had to resport to using my brothers standard straight bars, which fit luckily enough

If i had more time before leaving, there was a footpack/spacers for the bolts to give a little extra length on the bolts to account for the curve Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #89909 27th Jan 2011 11:24 am
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I haven't seen the parts Thule are supplying me after my inquiry in to this. All I've been told is that they will ship the parts needed, by next week I'll know if they are correct or not. If they actually are, I'll post pictures of their solution to the problem. Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Post #89975 27th Jan 2011 9:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1