Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Can you remap a SD4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

Agreed, irrespective of whether the engine can be tuned anymore, the Auto box cannot take anymore safely. It is at it's limit now regarding maximum torque.

Post #88779 20th Jan 2011 12:12 pm
kezman50

England 

I've long know about Garrett.......but from alex's link I must admit I didn't realise that the parent company was Honeywell. Is that the same Honeywell that does the plumbing parts ? The font looks the same.

Post #88892 20th Jan 2011 9:16 pm
howl

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Mav71 wrote:

The SD4 turbo will fit the normal TD4.

Yeah, because they are IDENTICAL (if speaking of MY11 TD4 and SD4). To make all things clear, the hardware in MY11 SD4 and MY11 TD4 is ABSOLUTELY identical. To make sure, just take latest official LandRover Microcat catalogue and look for yourself, the part numbers of everything is the same. There's no such thing as 150PS engine (even in Microcat MY11 TDs is said to have 190PS DuraTorq CR DI engine). It's all 190PS, the only difference is that 150PS has different calibration table in the engine control module. In other words, MY11 TD4 is the software downgraded MY11 SD4. And TD4 should be tuned to 190PS without problems, because it's designed for 190PS.

Last edited by howl on 30th Jan 2011 1:00 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #90162 30th Jan 2011 12:39 am
howl

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Fuji White
Re: Can you remap a SD4?

11SD4 wrote:
As subject really, just curious right now, but can one remap a SD4 for increased power?
And, what is the actual difference between a TD4 and SD4?

Everything below is related to MY11 only. 160PS version is NOT MY11, it's MY10, we don't take it because it's really different (different engine, turbo etc.).

The difference between MY11 SD and MY11 TD is in the software engine calibration table inside the ECU.
Quote:

Is a SD4 just a remapped TD4?

No, just the opposite. TD4 is the remapped (by the use of software power limiter) SD4.
Quote:

Or are there mechanical differences such as different spec turbos etc?

Nope, everything is the SAME. Don't believe your dealers and managers, if they say the opposite. Take the official technical documentation and see yourself. Or take IDS/VCM diagnostic stand and you'll be 100% sure. In Microcat all part numbers are the same and there's no such thing as 150PS engine (just enter any TD VIN and see). I did the MY11 SD/TD comparison last week using IDS/VCM official diagnostic equipment. Everything is the same, even the ECU software (except cal. table). So in theory you can take 150PS, "unlock" the software and get 190PS for free. The problem is that the software unlock is not so easy, because in MY11 they used new ECU (Bosh EDC17 CP42) with protected TriCore microcontroller. So AFAIK it's not readable/writabe thru diagnostic socket anymore, you have to physically open the ECU and tamper with diagnostic pins on the PCB, which could void the warranty...

Post #90164 30th Jan 2011 12:58 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

howl wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

The SD4 turbo will fit the normal TD4.

Yeah, because they are IDENTICAL (if speaking of MY11 TD4 and SD4). To make all things clear, the hardware in MY11 SD4 and MY11 TD4 is ABSOLUTELY identical. To make sure, just take latest official LandRover Microcat catalogue and look for yourself, the part numbers of everything is the same. There's no such thing as 150PS engine (even in Microcat MY11 TDs is said to have 190PS DuraTorq CR DI engine). It's all 190PS, the only difference is that 150PS has different calibration table in the engine control module. In other words, MY11 TD4 is the software downgraded MY11 SD4. And TD4 should be tuned to 190PS without problems, because it's designed for 190PS.

Yes I know, I was on about the SD4 turbo fitting the older generation TD4. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #90471 1st Feb 2011 8:06 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The reason that you can't unlock it is because as each engine comes off the line as an SD4, it becomes a TD4 on the production line when assigned to a chassis number and the ECU is programmed with the appropriate software.

So if you try to download the SD4 ECU parameters into a TD4, the system knows that the software version and chassis number don't match.

Vauxhall do a similar thing.

The Insignia's 2.0 CDTi engine has two power outputs, A20 DTH (160PS) A20 DTJ (130PS). The engines come off the line, all stamped A20 DTH.

They become the 130PS A20DTJ when fitted to the car and the ECU programmed. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #90472 1st Feb 2011 8:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12