Home > General > STOP / START
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver
STOP / START

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my stop/start. It hasn’t worked in about 2-3 months! I thought it was due to the poor weather but in the last week the temp has been fine (8+) and no start/stop?

I know there’s a long list of checks that have to be done before the engine shuts off but surly after a 60min drive (no A/C or anything running) with the last 10mins in traffic I would have thought it would have stopped. I’m wondering if it because a few months ago I jump started a couple of friends cars? Could this of caused any damage??

Thanks!
Thumbs Up

Post #87825 13th Jan 2011 6:13 pm
rt

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

The stop/start on my 3 month old TD4 has only worked once since I bought it. The demonstrator which I test drove refused to stop at the end of a long test run. I have put it down to cooler weather and possible slightly lower battery voltage (I always leave the heater on automatic). I will see what happens when the weather gets considerably warmer.

Post #87837 13th Jan 2011 8:47 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

dont sound right to me,if the temp is above 5 i think stop start should work,esp like you say no a/c on and .engine warmed Confused Idea Idea is the econ on dash light [yellow] on.should be,only goes out in terrain response modes. Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Gone:Freelander 2, GS, "61"

Gone: Freelander 2, GS.e, "59"

Gone: Freelander 2, S, "08"

Post #87848 13th Jan 2011 9:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

Mines working too well, I have to admit to turning it off in city driving or I'd end up with a flat battery. Some of the pre requisites are:
1) Engine up to temperature
2) Outside temp 4 degrees and above
3) Battery voltage normal
4) Car stationary
5) Gearstick in neutral
6) Clutch raised
7) Vacuum in brake servo unit is adequate

It's designed to still allow headlights, heating plus air con and all cabin comforts and still work, if it senses a failure it will automatically start or prevent shutdown.

Post #87850 13th Jan 2011 9:20 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine stops quite often, only when theres no electrical demand from anything though and the engine has warmed up, ie everything except the ventilation fan is switched off, usually when Im not expecting it to, still makes me think its stalled for a moment. I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #87851 13th Jan 2011 9:25 pm
stownrow

Thanks for the replys folks!

The dealers tested the battery and said it was fine !

Just taken it home and checked with a battery tester which says it's 12.2 volts! Checked another freelander which was over 12.5 after sitting there for 48hours ?!?

Post #87862 13th Jan 2011 9:58 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Mine is ok too but as mentioned above there are issues to consider. I have noticed it actually works with the air con switched on! But it does not work if the climate control is set to max heat but lower temps are fine. I really like the feature. Gets good usage on my way out of Derby in the evening rush hour. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #87874 13th Jan 2011 10:56 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Ay up Stownrow,
!2.2V is a bit on the low side but batt voltage doesn't reveal the whole picture.
First of all, check the battery voltage while the engine is running. The best time to do it is after a run of at least 15 mins and afterwards at tickover this should be at least 13.2 volts. This ensures the alternator is okay. Remember that stop start will use the batt voltage while the engine is running. You can then check how quickly the battery discharges by taking regular readings every half hour so.
Are you still in warranty? If so, take you findings to the dealer or wherever, it'll help them.

Jump start? Not sure. You could try disconnecting the batt for 5mins or so and see what happens.

Oh, Happy New Year owd chap!! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #87877 13th Jan 2011 11:55 pm
athelstan

stownrow
Long shot - but - have you got it switched "OFF" on the dash Exclamation

Post #87891 14th Jan 2011 8:53 am
stownrow

athelstan wrote:
stownrow
Long shot - but - have you got it switched "OFF" on the dash Exclamation

Nice try but nope! lol

Is it worth having little solar pannels in the back to help keep the batt topped up? Cool

Post #88247 16th Jan 2011 12:07 pm
athelstan

stownrow wrote:

Nice try but nope! lol
Is it worth having little solar pannels in the back to help keep the batt topped up? Cool

Solar panels are really not necessary if all the FL2's systems are performing as they should. Our FL2's Stop/Start system has operated perfectly within its set parameters since day one. I'd demand that your LR dealer throughly investigates.

Idea However - slightly off topic but still on the subject of "electrical power" take a look at: www.powertraveller.com and check their "StartMonkey" 200 and 400. Stick one of these in your boot and you'll never need a jump start from a mate or the AA etc., for a flat battery. And, you only need to charge it once a year. Brilliant piece of kit. Idea

Post #88284 16th Jan 2011 5:29 pm
toby

United Kingdom 

Sorry to go slightly off topic but wanted to check if my Stop/Start function is operating correctly.

When stopping in traffic and putting the car in neutral etc. the car turns itself off as expected but then after a few seconds restarts. Is this normal or is something not functioning correctly meaning the car is shutting down when infact something needs the car to be running?

Would apprecitate any advice surrounding this issue.

Thanks,

Toby

Post #88290 16th Jan 2011 6:17 pm
stownrow

toby wrote:
Sorry to go slightly off topic but wanted to check if my Stop/Start function is operating correctly.

When stopping in traffic and putting the car in neutral etc. the car turns itself off as expected but then after a few seconds restarts. Is this normal or is something not functioning correctly meaning the car is shutting down when infact something needs the car to be running?

Would apprecitate any advice surrounding this issue.

Thanks,

Toby

Hi Toby,

If the demand increases then the engine restarts i.e Climate control. or if you start rolling forward at more than 2mph.

Hope this helps!

Post #88291 16th Jan 2011 6:20 pm
athelstan

toby
Auto-restart is a normal function of the Stop/Start system as explained in detail in your Owner's Manual. There it will list all the reasons as to why the FL2's "self preservation" function kicks in automatically. Thumbs Up

Post #88292 16th Jan 2011 6:21 pm
toby

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies.

I realise that the engine will restart if needed - but should it stop and then restart a few seconds later? Shouldn't there be something that analyses if the engine is needed before it stops as nothing is changed in the few seconds inwhich the engine stops and restarts again.

Post #88299 16th Jan 2011 7:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>