« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Sat-Nav auto re-route help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
--s-i-m--

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Santorini Black
Sat-Nav auto re-route help

I decided to use the satnav to navigate to a town I already know how to get there. (makes sense since its the first time of using it).

Get to said town and car says "go right", I know thats the long way round so I go left. Instead of recalculating the route to take me the "left" way, it keeps telling me to turn round and go the long way. My old Tom-tom would spot this and redo your route, can the FL2 sat nav do this too?

I have read the satnav manual a few times now to find this feature but can't. Is there an option I am missing to make it do this? Once the route is set, is that it?

Ta.

Post #75648 10th Sep 2010 9:08 am
proplus

Its still calculating what it considers as the quickest route, which at that spot would be to turn around. If you drive on a bit more it will recalculate a new route.

Post #75655 10th Sep 2010 10:39 am
ad210358

England 

Iv'e had the same thing with ours, wanting to go to Southampton, it insisted I go A41 M25 M3 but I know it will be quicker via the A34 and Oxford, even when I was on the A34 which is a direct route to Southampton it still wanted me to go M40 M25 M3.
What I have found that if you enter the destination, let it work out the route then you decide to go your way and then the Sat Nav starts working out a route to get you back on the original route, at this point if you re enter your chosen destination it will choose a new route to your destination which will then be the direct route to the destination rather than a route to get you back on the original route.

Clear as mud Question

Post #75675 10th Sep 2010 6:23 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I am sure mine gives me 3 options of route when I have input a destination. I havn't tried using this feature yet, but I will at some point just for future reference. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #87717 12th Jan 2011 5:25 pm
ad210358

England 

It will give you three options but they can be daft ones like instead of going the most direct and quickest route, it will give routes that can involve crossing over the direct route a couple of times.

Post #87730 12th Jan 2011 7:08 pm
snowy22255

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

All

I may be wrong, but in my experience most sat navs are designed to give you 2 types of route option, based on either the shortest distance and the fastest time and depending on which of those options you choose most units will then offer you at least one and in some cases up to three alternative routes.

I live on the edge of a new town and have immediate access to both urban and rural roads, if I select the fastest route option to get to a local village the 4 sat navs I have used have always routed me on the rural roads with their 50 mph limit because the simple processing of the unit works out that if I do the entire journey at 50 mph I will arrive sooner than travelling on the urban roads at 30 mph, the reality is that on winding rural roads I am frequently travelling slower than the legal limit and the 30 mph urban road is actually faster.

I believe that is the reason why drivers often find themselves at odds with the sat nav instructions because they know that although the A road might have a lower speed limit than the motorway but is less congested and thus faster the sat nav has no such local knowledge.

The only exception to this I have experienced was the manufacturer installed sat nav in a Vauxhall Signum I had which constantly and automatically updated the route based on any changes in traffic conditions and then offered to implement the changes with a comparison in the estimated travelling time and distance changes.

I know most sat navs can pick up traffic info but I have never seen another one ( including similar units in other Vauxhalls ) which made such dynamic route changes.

Post #87804 13th Jan 2011 11:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1