« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Your top 3 off road track/place
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Your top 3 off road track/place

As this is the OZ/NZ part the forum (and not state specific), I'm wondering what your top 3 off road tracks/places are?
You know, the ones that you find yourself going to over and over again or just went to once but would love to go back to again and can recommend to others.
As I'm a newby to this off roading stuff, unfortunately I do not have any of my own at the moment. (So keen on any pointers in W.A. Cool )

Post #78123 11th Oct 2010 4:00 pm
A7FA

Australia 

Where a bouts in WA do you live?

Post #78131 11th Oct 2010 4:56 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Hi A7FA.

I'm in Ellenbrook, Perth. Know any good tracks?
I'm hoping to go to the 4x4 show that's on next month to pick up a few things and to get some suggestions.

Post #78171 12th Oct 2010 6:06 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Sand dunes next to the beach are always good value because the only thing that can go wrong is you get bogged......no dents or scratches. I like Stockton Beach in NSW because it has massive dunes and 30kms of sand to play in. Fraser Island in QLD is always good as well. By the looks of it, Lancelin north of Perth would be similar. I think you can drive Lancelin to Cervantes on the beach and dunes? I would give it a go but it's 4000kms away. I did do eighty mile beach up near Broome once.
Another great track is Sky Trek in the Flinders Ranges SA. Pretty awesome really it's a 6 hour drive around Willow Springs station. You end up on top of the world after driving through all sorts of varied terrain. The FL2 will only just clear some of the obstacles so don't do it unless you are game but it is good. Mike

Post #78203 12th Oct 2010 1:49 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

There are numerous places in QLD where you can get a combo of sand driving & rocky/muddy tracks that are not too strenuous if you are on your own. The beach drive from Noosa North Shore to Double Island Point has become so popular that the Govt have introduced a $15 toll. There's goes another freedom! It's well worth it though if you've never done it before and there are plenty of other offroaders around if you need a hand. Great if you intend camping on the beach (just behind the dunes) for a few days (another permit).
Further north, there's Fraser Island. It's like a motorway for 4WD's and is very expensive to get there, though the cost is mitigated if you stay for a while - well recommended as there are some awesome spots to savour once the day-tripper hordes disappear in the arvo.
A few hours north again, via a sleepy area known as Baffle Creek, hides some precious beach driving & camping via Rules Beach (both north and south) or you can take the somewhat tame 4WD track through Deepwater National Park. It is a rare, untouched part of the Ozzie coast with established camping spots and beaches that may never see footprints all year. You arrive in Agnes Waters. On the other side, the National Park continues and you can take a great track to Turkey Beach. Again, there are some great spots along the way. There are some private properties to go through, but it's OK as long as you do the right thing and always close the gates behind you.
Further north again, on the NW side of Rockhampton you can access some great and often remote areas in the Byfield National Park. Be warned though, depending on the weather and the number of people who have been using the tracks beforehand, some of the sand hill climbs here are unbelieveable. They just keep on going an going and going. There are a few locals with fishing huts up this way and their main form of transport is a 4WD tractor - a good indicator!!!

Post #85557 27th Dec 2010 11:52 am
mikehzz

I'll second the Noosa north shore run to Double Island Point, it's a really nice beach run. Do they really charge you for that now? I haven't done it for about 10 years. Mike

Post #85571 27th Dec 2010 2:23 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Yep - they now charge. Revenue raising as far as I'm concerned. I live about an hour away and work 7 days a week and about 14 hours a day so if I ever managed a day off, I would load the Engel and a deck chair in the back and head down to a camp spot on beach to completely chill out. I can handle the camping permit ($5 per person) but a $15 or $18 entry permit for 4WD's chokes me. I pay squillions in taxes yet still have to pay for the most fundamental freedoms. It's still a great spot if you plan a longer stay though. There's no charge, yet, for beach drives a bit further north.

Post #85604 28th Dec 2010 1:20 am
mikehzz

Do they charge you if you hop on the northern end near the ship wreck coming from Rainbow Beach?

Post #85615 28th Dec 2010 10:10 am
jaksbak@freel2

Yes, they charge at the Rainbow Beach end. You can either get to the main beach via Rainbow Beach and over a small strip of land behind Double Island Point. This way you need to run the gauntlet of incoming tides and a rocks. You'd be amazed at how many vehicles have been totalled here. The preferred alternative is a track from a few K's south of Rainbow Beach to a camping ground called Freshwater. The track continues on to the beach. The shipwreck you mentioned has now been removed as it was seen as a danger with so many people climbing all over it.

Post #85620 28th Dec 2010 10:58 am
mikehzz

Yes I have run that gauntlet myself. I can't believe they removed the wreck, I classed it as a feature of the trip. They had an ice cream stand there last time I was there. Many thanks for the update. Mike

Post #85638 28th Dec 2010 2:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1