Home > Off Topic > NOT FL2 related BMW 520d
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lukey Luke

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
NOT FL2 related BMW 520d

Hey all,

AM thinking out outing our 2003 golf that has serverd very well over the years. Have always like sound of a 2008/2009 BMW 520d (a new one in Belgium is just to much cash).

I would like something that makes my 200km trip to work and back easy returning above 45mpg (and a Auto box pls). I spend 3hrs a day in the car while getting to work and back so i would like a nice open space Thumbs Up Like a FL2

Any one had a 520d or recomend anything that would foot the bill?

Cheers,
Luke HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #82795 3rd Dec 2010 3:59 pm
GSMY11

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Hi,I had a BMW 320D Touring before FL2. Great cars with good engine and will do you very well. I would not have changed but last winter was bad here ( Scotland) and this year has started off badly too.The BMW was absolutely hopeless whenever the snow even offerred to come down! Even with winter tyres...a must... it was difficult to make any progress.Last winter it was in the garage for 6 weeks as I had to use my wife's Jazz. So great car-but put it the garage and buy a FL2 for the winter! Good luck.

Post #82855 3rd Dec 2010 9:01 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

had 2 bmw's a 330d and a 130i both useless in the snow but otherwise very good cars.

Oh the autobox on the 330d gave no more than 38mpg on the motorway and 28mpg normal use - dont believe their marketing hype about fuel economy Evil or Very Mad freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #82857 3rd Dec 2010 9:24 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I used to work at BMW in 2008 and the 520d is a really great car, that grows on you the more you drive it. over 40 mpg is easily attainable judging by customers cars. However they are pretty stumped by the snow I must say. But as a vehicle for sitting in all day and being relaxing you can't fault it. Would be my choice out of the german alternatives Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #82863 3rd Dec 2010 9:50 pm
Lukey Luke

Thanks guys.
The wife's dad used to have 5 and 7's until the X5 came out. She and he both think i am mad for wanting an 5, but i keeping saying it is for only 2 odd weeks a year it is not going to be used because of the snow, and we have a FL2 so if in an emergency in snowy weather we will be OK.

We will be off to the car show in Jan, the wife is buying me the car (i got her the FL2) and she thinks the x1 (i will push for the 23d X1 if i can not get a 5) is what i am going to get.

Big Dave, did you ever see, get to drive a 5 with 4 wheel drive, i am hearing that they offer an xdrive option for the 5? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
luke HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #83041 4th Dec 2010 10:43 pm
Big Dave

No I didn't Luke, I finished before they offered that option. I think I'm right in saying though that the xDrive option is only on the 5 GT models, possibly with only the larger engines? Although I could be wrong there.

i'd choose a 5 over any X1, X3, or X5 any day of the week to be honest. BMW also offer a winter tyre option now, which isn't horrendously expensive,..worth looking into Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #83180 6th Dec 2010 12:32 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I've had 3 BMW's now and I love them... It is only because you cant get one (bar the new X5 and they are too expensive at the moment) that you can comfortably get 3 kiddies in the back that I don’t still have one...

The old 5 is good but the new one is awesome... and I think out of most manufacturers BMW have some of the best diesels going, and their silky smooth 6 pot petrol is a peach

Watch out for the 2litre diesels (and some 3litres), they have plastic inlet manifolds that can crack causing the engine to ingest the swirl flaps, but other than that I think they were fairly solid.

Also try and avoid cars not made in Germany - despite what people think even BMW are not infallible when it comes to reliability - IMO the German made cars (compared to the US builds) do have a better feel to them and I think tend to be more reliable and better put together. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #83209 6th Dec 2010 3:46 pm
Big Dave

I'll second that captain worm Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #83246 6th Dec 2010 6:59 pm
Lukey Luke

A German made, 5 it is (with a secound set of wheels with the best winter tyers, am still keeping the fl2 for when it is really bad))

Off to the car show here in Jan and will be looking for a good price on a new 5.

It is one good looking car that just says respect with out trying to look to hard. Now i need to find a good chrimboo gift for my good lady Whistle so it does not sound like putting my foot down on this too much. Wish me luck Wink HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #83398 7th Dec 2010 9:03 pm
Big Dave

Good Luck! Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #83492 8th Dec 2010 12:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1