« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Ice Accident
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
samsland

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Ice Accident

Hi Guys - my first post (and not a pleasant one...)

I've owned my lovely HSE for about 2 weeks now and have been really enjoying getting to know it. Sadly I decided to brave the elements this evening and there was an ice build up on the side steps which my girlfriend hadn't seen, opened the door fine but went to close the door and the ice clean stripped the plastic door skirting from the door Censored - I've yet to forgive her but am looking for some guidance as to how best to get this fixed - is it a trip to the dealers at the weekend for a presumable £100-200 part? As you can see from the picture the plastic has been sheered so it doesnt look salvagable - I've kept the skirting anyway.

Any thoughts and help is much appreciate Big Cry

Thanks, Sam.

Click image to enlarge

Post #82666 2nd Dec 2010 8:58 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

it pops on/off with the press studs into the plastic holes in the door. either it just needs popping back on or the press studs are broke? shouldnt cost a lot if broke, but dont tell her that Laughing

If its just popped off, hold it in place and whack it with your hand. preferable when warmer and the plastics are more flexi.

some one here have changed that part for colour coded ones , they will help you further----maybe even sell you the part???? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #82668 2nd Dec 2010 9:04 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
it pops on/off with the press studs into the plastic holes in the door. either it just needs popping back on or the press studs are broke? shouldnt cost a lot if broke, but dont tell her that Laughing

If its just popped off, hold it in place and whack it with your hand. preferable when warmer and the plastics are more flexi.

some one here have changed that part for colour coded ones , they will help you further----maybe even sell you the part????

We "lost one" on our LR Experiance day, and the the instructor wacked it back on in the same way CG explained Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #82671 2nd Dec 2010 9:11 pm
dunroof

It happens, ice build up on the side steps.

Presuming the platic trim isn't cracked, make sure all 14 white recepticles are back in their place and the 3 circular foam bits covering plastic studs are in place and position it against the yellow bit/door, normally top first and engine foremost, then push with hand, you should hear each of the 14 bits click as they are located and locked in.

Failing that, a new bit.

Post #82677 2nd Dec 2010 9:16 pm
samsland

Guys many thanks for the prompt comments. Whilst I think that the white plastic studs are largely in tact there are some larger joints (the 3 black circles in the pic) where the plastic has been sheered and is split. Would it be worth me seeking out a new panel (how would I source?) or do you think it would hold fine with the plastic studs remaining?

Post #82678 2nd Dec 2010 9:18 pm
dunroof

The 3 black circular things are locating studs. They have the sticky black foam things on them. I doubt they have sheared. Anyway, even if they had, so long as you pop back the majority of the 14 white/yellow studs, it will be fine. Remember, it's only a bit of trim. One more or less trim fix isn't going to make a big difference. I wouldn't waste a great deal of time or money on it unless it's physically spilt and you can see it.

Post #82688 2nd Dec 2010 9:31 pm
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Hi Samsland, if you do need a new part try The Large One [Parts manager Yeovil Landrover] he is a site sponsor over on the Disco 3 forum, had a few bits from him in the past at something like 20% off list and very speedy service for stock items. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #82689 2nd Dec 2010 9:33 pm
samsland

I've just been out and managed to put the moulding back on fairly easily with the instructions you've all kindly provided - thanks very much!

Now I notice that the passenger side front mudflap is loose - they are genuine mudflaps and were put on as part of the deal I struck to buy the car. I notice that the mud flap is fitted over the wing moulding and both the wing moulding and mud flap don't seem to be connected to the body work at the top of the moulding. I can see a similar connection as per the door moulding but cant seem to get it to catch properly - the driver side front mud flap is very secure and it is clear something isnt right... sorry guys but does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Does anyone have fitting instructions for the mudflap so I can see if there is something I can follow back - I guess I may have dislodged the mudflap from driving in the deep snow.

Thanks again for all the help! Sam

Post #82699 2nd Dec 2010 10:14 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

There is a thread about the crap fixing for mudflaps, I think the way to remedy it is to warm them up before re-fitting. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it. We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #82712 3rd Dec 2010 12:21 am
zoey

United States 

It has 2 snap-fittings, and they can be tough to mate.....mate (I made a funny Laughing ).

I just fitted the mud flaps to my vehicle last week, and had problems with one side snapping together.
You should, as mentioned previously, let the plastic bits warm up to prevent fracture. When you are sure that the
male/female ends of the snap bits are aligned, give the panel a firm whack (or two) with your palm. It's frightening to do so, but as long as the ends are aligned, and the parts are warm, you won't harm them.

You will hear an audible "snap" noise when the parts are properly connected.

Post #82720 3rd Dec 2010 4:33 am
samsland

Thanks for the comments guys - popped out tonight and can quite easily swivel the moulding attached to mudflap from top down as in pic on front left - does the moulding fitting look normal? looks like it might have cracked on the moulding side connection? Sheep pics are a bit vague!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #82846 3rd Dec 2010 8:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1